Can't play Multiplayer.

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Can't play Multiplayer.

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Multiplayer don't work?
I am trying to bring a new player into the fandom, but we're having trouble accessing multiplayer.
I set up IPX Network game, he doesn't see it.
He sets up an IPX Network game. I don't see it.
I set up a UDP/IP with my IP address and port number which I relay to him, he can't see it
He sets up a UDP/IP with his IP address and port number which he relayed to me, I can't see it.
HOW DO WE PLAY MULTIPLAYER?!
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Can't play Multiplayer.

Post by Do_Checkor »

are you talking about Descent3?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Is port forwarding set up correctly?
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

And it needs static IP on the server as far as I know. In D2 I tested the multiplayer with one friend (via Rebirth), it was ok (by now it is my only game in multiplayer). He set up the server and gavem me an IP and I connected to it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Your friend either had his machine directly connected to the internet, or knew how to DMZ/port forward on his router. You need to read up on Network Address Translation on your routers and how to forward ports through it in order to run multiplayer games.
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Yes, he had a server directly connected to the internet (with static IP of course), and we both connected to it; I have 4G mobile internet, so I don't think I can do some sort of port forwarding, although VPN like Hamachi could work (but I haven't tried it yet; because it is difficult to find someone to play with, this friend has very little time himself for Descent, he just showed me that it is possible). I am myself not a pro in network setup however, just like any hardware stuff, mostly software and math guy.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I just left that part up to someone who knew what they were doing last time I did online coop (Sirius IIRC). If you play online, maybe find the local tech genius and convince them to set up the game.

If you're playing locally then you shouldn't even need to worry about that. Just connect to the same router. That's what I've always done.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Yeah, tried to give him my IP address and he come join the game I set up. He never saw the game.
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Maybe you can try to play with him or someone else over LAN (where you should not have problems with port forwarding or direct connection/white IP)? Probably it will work. Then you have to dip into this port forwarding crap, probably try using Hamachi VPN to ensure "direct" or "white" IP on the host machine (i. e yours). I once set up the direct connection for two PC's via Hamachi, and you don't have to be a tech genius to do it. But it was not for Descent, just to use remote desktop on another machine. But I am sure that Descent would work with a connection like this.
Also problems can be caused by using different versions of Rebirth or DX-XL.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

If using LAN you should also be able to type the host's computer name if it asks for an address.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Freakster90
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Freakster90 »

Worse case scenario use Vortex and pick a server y'all both can play on? Assuming it's D3, I dunno how vortex works with D1 or 2. But that's how I ended up playing a game with one of my friends. Totally got him into the game, btw. :p
You can find me in-game as UsedDentalFloss

Just a wee bit rusty... Just... Rusty...

Played in the good old days as Freakster, with my uncle Dorkster.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Vortex doesn't work with D1/2, but it isn't needed for them either since they have independent game trackers (or at least the currently-used source ports do).