Clipping through Doors/grates

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Phozon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Clipping through Doors/grates

Post by Phozon »

Helloo, does anyone know about this? and can anyone get anything better?

Things I have tried.
- Going backwards (you can! and the same thing happens)
- Firing fusion while going backwards.
- Firing missiles during.
- Having a claw robot attacking you during (doesn't seem to affect anything).

In the end I think this might be movement of the camera only and not actually the ship but I don't know!
I Stream Descent (speedruns and level editing): twitch.tv/phozonn
Music I make sometimes: soundcloud.com
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Clipping through Doors/grates

Post by Darth Wang »

This just reminds me that the 'astral' cheat doesn't work in the D1x version which is annoying.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Oh my, I had no idea about this!

I remember pretty amazing graphical artifacts from playing Descent back on a S3 Virge, but not this mechanic :D
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ShivanHunter »

This is even easier at the intersection between two walls (keep pressing against the edge where the two walls meet and gliding along it). Depends on the angle, I think. But I've never actually managed to use it to escape the cube I'm in - the game always snaps me back. I think it's constantly checking the location of the ship's center (to determine if it's changed cubes) and if it has, but it shouldn't have been able to - if there's a wall or closed door - then it resolves a "proper" location inside the cube which causes the snapping back. It looks like it does this before checking any triggers on the wall, so you don't activate the exit or anything.

You can use this to get through spaces like these. So make sure if you put something like this in a level, you actually block off the middle as well, even though the player couldn't "physically" fit through. I think stuff like that is pretty rare though so in practice it's not usually an issue.

There's a similar, but unrelated, bug where you can shoot through walls with the Fusion or quad laser - just by shooting while being up against the wall at certain angles, because those weapons' projectiles appear far enough away from your ship that they spawn in the cube behind the wall.
Phozon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phozon »

ShivanHunter wrote:you can shoot through walls with the Fusion or quad laser - just by shooting while being up against the wall at certain angles, because those weapons' projectiles appear far enough away from your ship that they spawn in the cube behind the wall.
Thanks ShivanHunter, good post, thanks for some extra info -makes sense and I agree. ^ And this seems likely to be the only use somewhere in the game
I Stream Descent (speedruns and level editing): twitch.tv/phozonn
Music I make sometimes: soundcloud.com
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I've recently used that exploit to kill a reactor the level author mistakenly (I presume) made inaccessible...