New player

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Sum0Beatz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

New player

Post by Sum0Beatz »

Sup guys

I just recently picked up a laptop for christmas so I could enjoy some of my childhood games ( Descent, Age of empires 2 ( playing online ) and Oldschool Runescape.

Descent has a special place in my heart as it was the first game I played on my dads old school computer. He had a controller at the time and I found it impossible to play on a keyboard. The game is intense and fast paced, loved it and never came across anything like it again. This is my type of FPS haha.

At the moment I'm learning how to control my ship and get a solid control system down. My set up is Keyboard and mouse. I use the mouse for shooting and aiming.

I want to be able to play on insane. I love how fast and aggressive the enemy's are. The robots are ruthless and scare the ★■◆● out of me when my sheilds are low, they seem to hunt you down when you have low sheilds. Problem is its too hard to survive and beat any level past 5 on descent 1 ( insane mode ). Ill probably have to play on hotshot and learn how to control my ship until I can live my dream as an insane pilot.

Can anyone help me improve in the game? Whats a solid Keyboard and mouse set up?

w = Acc
s = Reverse
a= slide left
d= slide right
q= bank left
e= bank right
Space= side up
Left Shift or Tab = slide down ( i use tab sometimes when im rolling and sliding )
f= flare
g= after burner ( starting to play descent 1 in d2 mainly for the after burner )

left click = Shoot prim
right click= shoot missle
mid mouse wheel= slide on ( I have poor control over this, what im trying to do is add another way for me to slide )

Also hows the online community? Are people mainly playing single player? Seems the pro's are working on speed run times now.

Btw thanks for all the youtube videos on insane. Some of you here are amazing pilots to watch, it has inspired me to learn to kick ass.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: New player

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'll give you a look at my scheme and you can see how you like it. :) Similar to what you've got but it just might work a little better, or not...

w = Forward
s = Reverse
a= slide left
d= slide right
q= bank left
e= bank right
Left Shift = slide up
Left Ctrl = slide down
r = fire flare (a diagonal finger movement just seemed more natural than a horizontal one)
Space = drop bomb
Tab = Shield Converter
t = rear view
Backspace = Automap

left click = energy/ammo shot
right click = missile shot
mouse wheel button = afterburner
mouse wheel wheel = weapon cycle

Afterburner should be on your right hand (unless you're left-handed) so that you can still strafe in any direction while using it. Or trichord with it if you're into that. :P
If you want a slide on key maybe you start by thinking of which other keys you wouldn't use while you were using that one. For example if you used the x or c button you could take your index finger (or ring finger, again, if you're a southpaw) off of the slide right key to press it. In fact, I'd bind both -- if I'm using a letter key that's not on my resting position I usually bind the one next to it as well, at least at first, cuz they're relatively small and you can miss them sometimes especially when you're still getting used to your controls.
Then again, maybe that's just me... there are times I have the finger dexterity of a tiger.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Sum0Beatz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sum0Beatz »

Yes Ill try and remove the space option and see how using my pinky works for sliding up and down, current i use my thump (space) and ring finger left shift.

I'm so happy to see an active forum for this game! jesus 20 years later and here we are. PREPARE FOR DESCENT
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Check out "Overload" also. It's the new Descent.

https://playoverload.com/
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I play with the keyboard only. Quite easy - use WASD for sliding and the numerical keypad for pitching. Accelerate/reverse is lShift/lCtrl, and you just supplement from there. If you insist on using the mouse, make sure to include the afterburner button somehow, perhaps middle button would be a good choice.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

I use the variation of SumOBeatz scheme, but "Space" = slide down, "Shift" = up, "Caps Lock" = afterburner, middle mouse = bombs (probably I should consider using it for afterburning), "F" - flares, "T" - converter, "C" - duplicate for bombs. And instead of Q/E I use mouse thumb buttons 4-5 for banking. Which allows me to bank, aim and slide independently. THis afterburner key does not allow you to go up while afterburning, but I don't seem to use it at all. I also probably need to map some keys for frequently used missiles, otherwise it is hard to switch in the middle of the dogfight. At least I have to stop to select merc, smart, megas and shakers, never a good thing.