New cars - which one to get?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

New cars - which one to get?

Post by Thenior »

Hey all,

Pretty soon, I'm getting a significant raise. I've been getting by on buying old crappy cars, fixing them up, and running them into the ground, but I feel like I don't get my investment out of them, and it's a royal pain. So now I am looking to buy two cars, one for me, one for my wife.

So here are my choices, and the pro's and con's. All of them have good crash testing and used durability, according to consumer reports.

+- 2007 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel GDL(?)
Pros
Gets 50+ MPG
Has traction control AWD

Cons
Not that comfortable
Not the best handling

+- 2007 Toyota Camry 4Cyl
Pros
They last forever
Comfortable, luxurious handling
30+ MPG

Cons
4 cyl model is a dog and is pretty loud

+- 2007 Honda Accord 4Cyl
Pros
Good durability
Comfortable, more sporty handling
30+ MPG
4 cyl is more peppy than the toyota

Cons
I'm not familiar with hondas...

+- Subaru Impreza/Outback
Pros
Comfortable/Sporty
AWD

Cons
Only 26+ MPG

Here is a little background on me and my needs.
Wife is about to have a kid, I want her safe at all times, and I want her to have the freedom to go where she wants. The Jetta with awd and 50+ mpg makes that attractive, but I'd like a car that is comfy for her too.

For me, I know I love toyotas. My folks bought a '92 Camry in '96. It currently has 240,000 miles on it, and still gets 30+ mpg, no major repairs.

I should also mention I live in michigan. The roads are either crappy (icey) or salted (which rusts the heck out of cars).

Right now I am leaning toward getting my wife the Jetta, and possibly me getting a Toyota or Subi. I like Subi's because they are sporty and durable (I've ridden in STI at a Race, about lost my cookies, and I've driven an outback with a turbo).

I guess I am just looking for opinions! Maybe I should just get two Jetta's - I dunno.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

My first car was a 94 Camery 4cyl with 66,000KM on it. This was in 2005. No major repairs until I had an accident. Had great gas mileage and still good power. No rust or anything.

I've had friends who had Jeta's and they all loved them. Subi's are cool and a friend of mine just bought one and love it.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

CDN_Merlin wrote:My first car was a 94 Camery 4cyl with 66,000KM on it. This was in 2005. No major repairs until I had an accident. Had great gas mileage and still good power. No rust or anything.

I've had friends who had Jeta's and they all loved them. Subi's are cool and a friend of mine just bought one and love it.
Haha, now I am even more unsure which one to get :)
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Simply put, the Accord or the Camry. They are comfortable, reliable, dependable cars that will last to or past 300,000 miles when well cared for. I love Hondas, so I would recommend getting the Accord.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

Impreza FTW
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've been a Toyota guy for years (my wife and I drive them, they just don't break down!)... but I have to say that out of that list, I'd recommend the Accord. My parents-in-law have one, and it is just a great all-around sedan.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If you want to be safe driving in the snow or ice, get an AWD and FYI, the longer the wheelbase, the better. Much more stable in slippery conditions. We had a Subaru Legacy for years. Drove the hell out of it in the Colorado mountain snows without any chains. No problemo ever! Reliable too, never had a major mechanical failure. The only hit with the new Subaru's is the mileage. They upped the horsepower and engine size (more weight) to please speed hungry Americans at the cost of fuel mileage.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Jetta.
ImageImage
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Anything Subaru is also a thief magnet so be careful where you park it.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Honda

Great safety record
Comfortable
Engine lasts forever
Good resale value

Much as I like VW's and the 50+MPG their diesels get, I have to hand it to Honda.

Be sure to get the undercoating option and a set of good winter tires. AWD helps you to get going but won't help you to stop.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

I would say none of the above. Regardless of your political views the feds have pumped allot of money into the economy. We have 5 to 10 years of inflation ahead of us. No one seems to sure as to how severe it will be. Save your cash, pay off your bills.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Cuda68 wrote:I would say none of the above. Regardless of your political views the feds have pumped allot of money into the economy. We have 5 to 10 years of inflation ahead of us. No one seems to sure as to how severe it will be. Save your cash, pay off your bills.

It's funny you say that, because I've been getting that advice alot. I am thinking about just getting myself a 01 Corolla, and probably my wife a Camry.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

DarkHorse wrote:Anything Subaru is also a thief magnet so be careful where you park it.
Really? I thought Toyota and Honda products were the thief magnets, and easy to steal to boot.

You're right Ferno, AWD doesn't help you to stop, but it sure can get you up a hill in the snow. But I would prefer a Honda over a Toyota. Toyota's quality has been slipping lately.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

I'd get a Toyota Land Cruiser :) below the year 2007. The downside is they get about 15mpg, but I love mine TO DEATH and I feel completely safe in crappy weather.

Just my two pennies
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I had a '76 FJ40 that would walk up the sides of pine trees then right over them :). Downside was the low gear ratios. 55-60 max. I still kick myself for selling that thing.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Get the outback for your wife, it'll get her around better in inclimate weather and have room for the kid and all the stuff (trust me, you want the room, especially when #2 comes along ;) ), get the toyota for yourself. You won't be happy with a car you don't trust, stick with what you know.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

As for me, at the present rate of income, it would be a matchbox car for now.

:P

Of the 3 choices above, I'd have to pass on all 3.

Cuda68 has the right idea it seems... :)

---

If I was in the market for a new car, would most likely buy a Ford Mustang or a Ford Fusion.

Don't like Honda ANYTHING as they are too small for me to fit in comfortably... and I'm only 6 feet tall.

:oops:
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Red_5 »

flip wrote:I had a '76 FJ40 that would walk up the sides of pine trees then right over them :). Downside was the low gear ratios. 55-60 max. I still kick myself for selling that thing.
I know what you mean. Even thinking about selling my FJ80 makes me sick. I love it more every time I drive it.

Were you ever a member of the IH8MUD group when you had your Cruiser?
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CORD »

Really SW, you don't fit in an Accord? I'm 6'2\" and have had Honda's all my life, except for my trucks,and fit in and was comfortable in all of them.

I wonder why no one has mentioned the Nissan Altima? I have a few friends that own them, and are very comfortable cars. Not to mention 1 has the hybrid Altima and gets 30- 40 mpg all around. And there is a lot of room in them too.
Don't be so openminded that your brains fall out.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

tunnelcat wrote:You're right Ferno, AWD doesn't help you to stop, but it sure can get you up a hill in the snow.
depending on the hill, sometimes you don't even need AWD. If it's a gentle slope, all you need is a set of winter tires.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I know what you mean. Even thinking about selling my FJ80 makes me sick. I love it more every time I drive it.

Heh absolutely. In fact, the story I told about running over pine trees ended with me being stuck in the mud 10 feet from the road :P. I drove through a pine thicket, where no truck had gone before >: ), got right beside the road and sunk up to the axles instantly. Had to call a friend with a truck to pull me out. Real tall and skinny tires make all the difference ;)
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Red_5 »

flip wrote:

Heh absolutely. In fact, the story I told about running over pine trees ended with me being stuck in the mud 10 feet from the road :P. I drove through a pine thicket, where no truck had gone before >: ), got right beside the road and sunk up to the axles instantly. Had to call a friend with a truck to pull me out. Real tall and skinny tires make all the difference ;)
Those Cruisers are memory machines. Good times.