Walk and text in the mall?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Walk and text in the mall?

Post by Ferno »

Not a good idea if you end up falling into a fountain.

oh yeah. she's suing the mall.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

To clarify, she's suing the mall for allowing the video to be leaked to the public, not for happening to put a fountain where she was walking. That doesn't make her any less of a dumbass, though. :D
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Top Gun wrote:To clarify, she's suing the mall for allowing the video to be leaked to the public, not for happening to put a fountain where she was walking. That doesn't make her any less of a dumbass, though. :D
Wait, so this video of the lady goes viral. Then she decides to go on the news and not only proclaim to the world that it was her but to cry about it. Now she is suing the mall because her life was ruined.

Didn't she just ruin her own life?
Why doesn't it work?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I find this hilarious.

I hope she gets laughed out of the courtroom the same way Fox News did when they tried to sue over the name of a book.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I do feel bad for her, but the great thing about texting, like email, is that a reply can wait. I doubt her text was so important it couldn't have waited two minutes.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Isaac wrote:I do feel bad for her, but the great thing about texting, like email, is that a reply can wait. I doubt her text was so important it couldn't have waited two minutes.
Or should could stand still while doing it? It's not like driving where you're holding up traffic if you just stop.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

She will win because of this, do any of you remember that woman who sued McD's fopr coffee being to hit when she put the cup between her legs and drove off and hit a speed bump and it spilled on her?

It's stupidity and it shouldn't be rewarded but sadly it is. It's her won fault she fell in. It's common sense not to text while walking because you will hit something.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

snoopy wrote:
Isaac wrote:I do feel bad for her, but the great thing about texting, like email, is that a reply can wait. I doubt her text was so important it couldn't have waited two minutes.
Or should could stand still while doing it? It's not like driving where you're holding up traffic if you just stop.
Unless you're walking in traffic.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

CDN_Merlin wrote:It's common sense not to text while walking because you will hit something.
Thanks for waiting to tell her that until after she took a nose dive into the fountain, for the good of us all it was worth it to learn by example.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, by suing, she's just put her picture and identity out for the whole world to see. I'd think she'd be too embarrassed to admit to the public that she was texting and fell into a fountain doing so. If she'd just kept quiet, no one would have known who she was. :wink:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Xamindar wrote:
Top Gun wrote:To clarify, she's suing the mall for allowing the video to be leaked to the public, not for happening to put a fountain where she was walking. That doesn't make her any less of a dumbass, though. :D
Wait, so this video of the lady goes viral. Then she decides to go on the news and not only proclaim to the world that it was her but to cry about it. Now she is suing the mall because her life was ruined.

Didn't she just ruin her own life?
Pretty much.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Perhaps she's looking for 15 minutes of Fame... or was it 15 minutes of SHAME?

You decide!

:oops:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

She appeared on Good Morning America ... then right after that had to appear in court to face charges of identity theft and other previous criminal involvement.
Video of GMA reporting about it

With her past history, I don't think she's going to win against the mall, besides which, the mall has fired the security employee who laughed about it (instead of doing his job) and released the video.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

All I know is when I saw the vid I had a hard time telling it was a female let alone who she was.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

CDN_Merlin wrote:She will win because of this, do any of you remember that woman who sued McD's fopr coffee being to hit when she put the cup between her legs and drove off and hit a speed bump and it spilled on her?

It's stupidity and it shouldn't be rewarded but sadly it is. It's her won fault she fell in. It's common sense not to text while walking because you will hit something.
I read a lot about that case actually, and while on the surface it would seem to be a case of an idiot suing for their own idiocy, it actually ended up exposing and penalizing McDonalds for a pattern of wantonly and persistent reckless behavior. Basically they had their coffee stored so hot it was literally criminal, there had been several prior complaints about the coffee being too hot, warnings that it would cause SEVERE burns if it ever got spilled in the way it was spilled, and McDonalds deserved what it got in that case.

This one looks more cut and dried for sure.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Also, I just remembered a funny (or sad) story. The four of us, my wife and my parents, were driving home from a day at San Francisco. We had just gone through the Caldecott tunnel and were on the stretch of freeway that is going down hill. A little ways ahead we see a Hummer H2 in the fast lane suddenly slowing way down then it gets over 2 lanes to the right. With the hummer out of the way we see the car in front of it (some other sort of SUV) swerving left and right as if they are completely smashed drunk or having a serious problem. We, as well as a few other cars start getting over to the right to avoid this driver. As we are passing it a few lanes away I look at the driver and see her holding her phone up in front of her face trying to text. Then she starts slowly veering to the left and then SCRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH, slides into the barrier with a cloud of dust rising and she finally stops.
Why doesn't it work?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I could toss a simple \"Natural selection will take its course\" here, if it wasn't for the fact that in a car you could easily end the lives of more than just yourself..

As for the video, if you're stupid enough to deem it necessary to reply to a text-type message RIGHT NOW, and end up falling into a fountain, I have no sympathy. If you want to turn around and sue the mall, semi-justified, but you could circumvent the whole ball of wax by being aware of your surroundings. Reminds me of a quote:
\"Skateboarding while texting is not a crime... though the law of averages will eventually catch up with you\"
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect
Avder wrote:
CDN_Merlin wrote:She will win because of this, do any of you remember that woman who sued McD's fopr coffee being to hit when she put the cup between her legs and drove off and hit a speed bump and it spilled on her?

I read a lot about that case actually, and while on the surface it would seem to be a case of an idiot suing for their own idiocy, it actually ended up exposing and penalizing McDonalds for a pattern of wantonly and persistent reckless behavior. Basically they had their coffee stored so hot it was literally criminal, there had been several prior complaints about the coffee being too hot, warnings that it would cause SEVERE burns if it ever got spilled in the way it was spilled, and McDonalds deserved what it got in that case.

This one looks more cut and dried for sure.
yeah i wish people would stop spouting the "Woman sues after spilling hot coffee" lawsuit as an example of the need for tort reform. The woman needed skin graft surgery!
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 00479.html
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Honestly, with the coffee thing, it couldn't have been any hotter than boiling water. I'm always boiling water for things and never ruin my skin with it. So I call foul with her lawsuit no matter what people say. It is still frivolous. Hot coffee is hot but not any hotter than boiling water, common sense. :roll:
Why doesn't it work?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Xamindar wrote:Hot coffee is hot but not any hotter than boiling water, common sense. :roll:
Sorry, X, but the temperature of boiling water is more than enough to cause permanent damage. Also, you need to remember that the ingredients in coffee can also raise the boiling temperature.

I know what you're saying; I've been splashed by boiling water, too (I like to cook, it happens). But a large volume of scalding liquid in one's lap when strapped into one's seat is considerably worse, simply because of the exposure time. Don't dismiss it; or at least go and look up the damage this woman suffered. It's nothing like what you're talking about.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Xamindar wrote:Hot coffee is hot but not any hotter than boiling water, common sense. :roll:
How hot is boiling water ? Certainly above the boiling point...
ImageImage
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Grendel wrote:How hot is boiling water ? Certainly above the boiling point...
Not quite.

X is correct to apply the principle that a liquid cannot be above its boiling point (heat added drives the liquid->gas transition rather than raising the temperature).

However, he is very incorrect to say that his own experience of not being by boiling water infers it can't cause skin damage. (In fact, it can cause third-degree burns in only a couple of seconds of exposure.)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

ok ok, I see your point Foil. But most people would know that spilling hot coffee on yourself is probably going to hurt. I assume it soaked into her pants where she was unable to take it off fast enough. But I admit I have not gone to the links and read the story.

I was pretty sure coffee would \"burn\" and taste bad if it was too hot anyway. Unless what MacDonalds was using wasn't really coffee. Eh, whatever. I still think that suing because of your own stupidity is ridiculous.
Why doesn't it work?
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

So to sum it up she is suing the mall for \"allowing\" the ex-employee to post the video of her taking a nose dive in the fountain on a video you can barely make out who it was.

One the nexus to hold the mall liable for \"allowing\" of the posting is thin at best as it was the ex-employee not the mall granted there should be measures in place for preventing it but doesn't the reasonable-person-test apply here? Secondly in our law system if I recall correctly you won't succeed in this type of case if you yourself contributed to the public humiliation. E.g. someone insults you but it's in private and no one else bares witness, the other person leaves but you follow them and continue to engage in the situation provoking another insult but now in public. Here you will be frowned upon as you could have prevented it from being public as in this case if she just kept quite about it all the odds that no-one would even knew it was her would have been incredibly high.

But wait if she is to be successful in this case my question then would be what about all those people that were caught on those shows like \"candid camera\" and crap. Did the producers get those peoples consent to air those videos? As I recall there were many cases that the likelihood that those peoples permission was obtain is none existing. So what, now they can come forth to claim their millions too?

I think I'll keep my opinion to myself before I get sued as an accessory after the fact as a contributor to her humiliation for just commenting on the matter :roll:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Xamindar wrote:I assume it soaked into her pants where she was unable to take it off fast enough. But I admit I have not gone to the links and read the story.
Incidentally, though, that's exactly what happened.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

I don't think most people can even walk and chew gum at the same time.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

This is all more compelling evidence for me not to text. I haven't started and I don't intend to.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

Don't eat metal.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Walk and text in the mall?

Post by Neo »

I used to answer the teacher's questions correctly and draw pictures at the same time ^_~
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

Neo wrote:I used to answer the teacher's questions correctly and draw pictures at the same time ^_~
Haha now that had to have ticked them off 8)
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I found some even more bizzare lawsuits... all of them are allegedly true (and paraphrased):

An employee of Kodak is suing the company under the Americans with disabilities act. It seems she has seasonal effective disorder and wants there to be more light where she works -- in a photographic darkroom.

A couple is suing WalMart for injuries they claim were caused by canned goods and condiments that tumbled from an overfilled grocery bag. The bag broke when the couple, Ronald and Brenda (names were probably changed in the article) were unloading their groceries at home. Brenda suffered "cracked and damaged toenails" and also claims to have a broken foot and ligament damage from the incident... she is suing walmart for $30 000.
Ronald also decided to get in the game, and he's suing walmart for $30 000 because "during Brenda's healing process, he was deprived of her comfort and attention"...

and finally...

A prison inmate filed a $5 million lawsuit against himself claiming he violated his own civil rights by getting arrested -- then asked the state to pay him because he has no income in jail. He said "I want to pay myself 5 million dollars, but ask the state to pay on my behalf because I can't work and am a ward of the state". The judge dismissed the lawsuit as frivolous.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

FireFox wrote:
Neo wrote:I used to answer the teacher's questions correctly and draw pictures at the same time ^_~
Not necessarily.

I had no problem with students who were quietly drawing, but kept up with the topic. (Not easy, but I had a couple of students who could do it.)

I did, however, have a problem with students who were distracted/distracting, and it caused them to miss the lesson.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Foil wrote:I did, however, have a problem with students who were distracted/distracting, and it caused them to miss the lesson.
Stinking art majors. :P
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Foil wrote:
FireFox wrote:
Not necessarily.

I had no problem with students who were quietly drawing, but kept up with the topic. (Not easy, but I had a couple of students who could do it.)

I did, however, have a problem with students who were distracted/distracting, and it caused them to miss the lesson.
I took Spanish in high school after having lived in Mexico for five years. I sat in the back and kinda dosed while keeping an ear on the conversation. When all of the other students couldn't come up with the answer, the teacher would fall back on asking me, and I would rattle the answer off. It was the easiest A I got in my life.

Some people actually learn better when they are listening and doing something with their hands at the same time. I generally chose to make the "doing something with my hands" taking notes, rather than doodling, but I rarely went back to them-listening and writing it all down generally cemented it well enough in my brain.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

WTF.... more light in a darkroom? come on now...

Hopefully the i can has cheezburger bill will get passed, well, that is, a rewritten bill that does not protect food-related corporations from being sued for proven unlawful activity. No, I'm not talking about McDonald's.

Yeah, my teachers assumed I was dumb until they started trying 'to put me on the spot' by asking questions.

Especially as I got older, I would take notes in the classes that were interesting and draw pictures when it was not interesting. Sometimes I'd have notes and drawings in the same book or on the same page. ^_~ I met someone who said when he was in school he would write notes to himself during class, like if the class sucked and was boring, he'd write about how bored he was. I can't help but smile when I remember he would do this.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Personally, I have sit dead center of each class and stop the teacher when I get completely lost. I'm always one of the first few to show up and the last one to leave because I want good notes. I think good note taking takes lots of practice, since you have to distinguish what's important and what you'll forget.
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I'd only ask the teacher questions iff:

1. The class was actually centered around useful, interesting information

2. The teacher was not a nutter.

If any of these conditions were not met, asking about things would be a waste of my time.

The Phantom can elude capture and answer quiz questions at the same time. ^_~
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I sit at the front of the class so the prof gets to know me... then I'm more comfortable asking questions when I need to.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.