Lightning

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Lightning

Post by Heretic »

Caught a few shots of a lightning formation out my front door security camera like to share them.
Attachments
Lightning1.jpg
Lightning2.jpg
Lightning3.jpg
Lightning4.jpg
Lightning5.jpg
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Lightning

Post by flip »

That reminds me when I was a kid. We moved to Oklahoma for about 2 years and the lightning was spectacular. Since you could see the horizon from east to west, I would go outside in torrential downpours and lie on my back on a picnic table. Great stuff!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I used to do that when I lived in Oklahoma as well. Thunderstorms were incredible to watch.

...Can't say I do that now in the Denver altitude. Lightning out here is dangerous.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Heh, probably not a good idea. Seems like I mostly remember cloud to cloud lightning, would go from one side of the sky to the other. I miss that out here in Georgia. I think we were out there for about a year, right up until our first tornado. Hehe, then me, my mom and sister rode back on a greyhound bus leaving my stepdad to pack up and follow, if he so desired :P LOL!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Should have been here last night. What a storm! Lots of lightning and RAIN. 2.5 inches of it here in a couple of hours and we needed it because it's been so dry this summer. The system moved up the valley from the south, then decided to stop and start circling right over Corvallis and Albany. Weird. Albany got 4.35 inches of rain. Damn power kept flickering off and on for seconds at a time most of the evening. Finally unplugged my dehumidifier and turned off the A/C to protect the compressors and controls.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

A cool thing about lighting that's finally been "officially" confirmed is sprites.

Link for more info.

There's a LOT more to this. Totally fascinating.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

ive seen a few impressive lightning storms...... biggest bolt i can remember is not long ago in Fort Myers FL, while sitting on the rooftop bar of the Lani Kai Resort, a HOOOOGE cloud to cloud bolt stretched damn near completely across the sky lighting up the bar for a second or so...... we went inside after that, but it was awesome to look up right at the moment the bolt started :o
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duper wrote:A cool thing about lighting that's finally been "officially" confirmed is sprites.

Link for more info.

There's a LOT more to this. Totally fascinating.
There's also "elves" and "blue jets". Totally weird.

http://www.sky-fire.tv/index.cgi/sprite ... elves.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol yeah! I was just told about "elves" yesterday.. i was like "da f? you're kidding..."

:lol: