SMP client console

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Radman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

SMP client console

Post by Radman »

I paused the two clients I had running on my dual xeon yesterday and installed the SMP client.

First project it DL'ed is worth 1760 points! Running both processors in tandem for about 650 PPD's (points per day). In comparison, the 2 clients running on each CPU was generating about 110 and 150 ppd's (about 250 total). The SMP client almost trippled my output. They give you a huge bonus for running SMP, but on the downside, they give you a very short deadline. My poor old xeons will be making the \"preferred deadline\" of 2.8 days with only like 2 hours to spare. It's running about 30 minutes per step. tick tock, tick tock

If you have a core 2 duo, SMP is the way to go. I read that the E6600 folders using SMP average about 7 to 9 minutes per step. That's turning out a 1500 to 1800 point work unit daily. You can double that with a core 2 quad by running 2 smp clients. the Quad is only about $50-$60 more than the duo cpu's now. Either way, both cpu's cost about 1/5th of what I paid for each of my xeon cpus almost 3 years ago.

sigh