usb mouse problems

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

seeker3
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

usb mouse problems

Post by seeker3 »

I've got a usb mouse and I've noticed while playing a lot of missions in Rebirth or XL that while moving or fighting or even looking at the map,all of sudden my mouse will jerk to the left or right or even a complete circle.I know that in other games it will sometimes spin out of control,and was told it's probably my mouse.It is a lot more noticeable in Descent,so I'm asking what you guys think.Is there a way to fix or minimize this problem? I notice that the more complex the map,the more it happens,so is it the maps,lack of resources,or just an issue with usb mice that I have to live with? I miss the old ps2 mice,this never happened with them,lol.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: usb mouse problems

Post by Krom »

Sounds more like it is a problem with the mouse itself than its connection, what kind of mouse is it?

I used to get the same issue with some older optical mice, like this ancient Microsoft optical mouse I had many years ago. Eventually I switched to faster and better mice and I have never had the problem since on modern optical/laser mice.
seeker3
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by seeker3 »

Well I guess I knew most of the answer already,I dug up a ps2 mouse,plugged it in,and of course,no problem,lol.I also found a couple of usb to ps2 connectors but both of them don't work,so I guess it's the old ps2 with ball mouse for games,and my optical for everything else.I do have a joystick,but I haven't been able to get it working on my mobo yet.And yeah,Krom,it does sound like the mouse itself because it's an ancient Microsoft optical mouse too.Time to invest in something better I think.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

You also might take a look at the surface you're using the mouse on. If it has a woodgrain or some other variance, that can cause optical mice to go wacky from time to time.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

When I ditched the MS Intellimouse Optical, I went for a Logitech MX510 but since then I've gone to a G7, and now I'm on a g500. The responsiveness of the g500 is the best I've ever used. Although its mostly splitting hairs after the MX510, everything equal to or newer than a MX510/518 I guarantee will improve your game over the ancient MS optical.
seeker3
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by seeker3 »

My mousepad is fine,very smooth surface,but I think part of the problem is that these older mice are usb v1.1 and I had it plugged into a usb v2.0 port.I changed it yesterday and it made quite a difference! This morning I went into the bios and disabled usb 2 and my mouse still worked fine.I've got an old Asus P4S800D-X mobo,so I'll probably hold off on a new mouse 'til I upgrade my whole system,which hopefully will be soon.But in the meantime,I'm glad I love these older games 'cause on my system they run great,and even a few of the newer ones.Fallout:New Vegas runs great,but most of the 2010 and newer I either can't run at all,or very slowly.