Fake News has consequences

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Fake News has consequences

Post by callmeslick »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/loc ... 890a363f00

we are on a slippery slope to chaos with this stuff.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Fake News has consequences

Post by Vander »

He was just trying to make America great again.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Site blocked because of AD Blocker.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

A one off story and we are magically on a slippery slope :roll:
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Shows you how crazy Trump supporters are that they'd actually believe a story like that about old fuddy duddy Hillary, and THEN go out, ASSAULT RIFLE in hand, with the intent of setting things straight, like some macho goody-2-shoes vigilante. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

My guess would be that the guy being about as sharp as a bowling ball has something to do w/ it, not fake news or being a Trump supporter.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

don't those 3 observations overlap a bit?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

About as much as real news or Clinton support would. Stupidity can be found everywhere.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

SAD!

:roll:
si vis pacem, para bellum
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Imagine if news networks, newspapers and just about all of major media told you that there was only one 'sane' choice for president and that this candidate was inevitable and unbeatable.

Would that be fake news?
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No, just sadly wishful thinking, given the IQ of your average American voter.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote:Imagine if news networks, newspapers and just about all of major media told you that there was only one 'sane' choice for president and that this candidate was inevitable and unbeatable.

Would that be fake news?
no one said that, except for the SANE part, which was obvious.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What's insane is that Trump's new incoming national security advisor, Lt. General Flynn AND his son were some of the very people who propagated this fake nonsense.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/i ... hop-232181

Which then lead to Trump having to fire Lt. General Flynn's son, Michael G., from his job he just got on Trump's transition team.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/us/po ... trump.html

Plus, Lt. Gen. Flynn loves conspiracy theories and spreading them on social media. So THIS is the guy who's going to be Trump's national security advisor. We're so screwed. :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/politics/ ... index.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

quit spreading lies. She did no such thing. The State dept QUESTIONED if such was the case for like 72 hours. You are part of the problem.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:quit spreading lies. She did no such thing. The State dept QUESTIONED if such was the case for like 72 hours. You are part of the problem.
Since Hillary Clinton headed the state dept, her comments are what the official cant is:

Sept 11
Clinton: Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.
Note she does not refute the video

Sept 12
Clinton: Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior, along with the protest that took place at our Embassy in Cairo yesterday, as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. America’s commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear — there is no justification for this, none.
Again no refutation
Clinton: Religious freedom and religious tolerance are essential to the stability of any nation, any people. Hatred and violence in the name of religion only poison the well. All people of faith and good will know that the actions of a small and savage group in Benghazi do not honor religion or God in any way. Nor do they speak for the more than 1 billion Muslims around the world, many of whom have shown an outpouring of support during this time.

Unfortunately, however, over the last 24 hours, we have also seen violence spread elsewhere. Some seek to justify this behavior as a response to inflammatory, despicable material posted on the Internet. As I said earlier today, the United States rejects both the content and the message of that video. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. At our meeting earlier today, my colleague, the foreign minister of Morocco, said that all prophets should be respected because they are all symbols of our humanity, for all humanity.

But both of us were crystal clear in this paramount message: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind. And we look to leaders around the world to stand up and speak out against violence, and to take steps to protect diplomatic missions from attack.
Again no refutation
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland is asked if the Benghazi attack was “purely spontaneous or was premeditated by militants.” She declines to say, reiterating that the administration did not want to “jump to conclusions.”

Nuland: Well, as we said yesterday when we were on background, we are very cautious about drawing any conclusions with regard to who the perpetrators were, what their motivations were, whether it was premeditated, whether they had any external contacts, whether there was any link, until we have a chance to investigate along with the Libyans. So I know that’s going to be frustrating for you, but we really want to make sure that we do this right and we don’t jump to conclusions.

That said, obviously, there are plenty of people around the region citing this disgusting video as something that has been motivating. As the Secretary said this morning, while we as Americans, of course, respect free speech, respect free expression, there’s never an excuse for it to become violent.
http://www.factcheck.org/2016/06/the-be ... n-edition/

So now we have a official spokesman for the SD and she mentions the video with no refutation. So just what are we to think slick? The vapors you use to make claims and post them like they are reality? Or are we to form opinions on what is actually stated by the head of the SD?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Slick, unfortunately I have to agree with woody about this one. At least I do recall it that way back then, because I remember being suckered as well. :wink:

Another factcheck link with the same comments.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/10/benghazi-timeline/

As for the fake news propagation on the net, here's an actual interview with one of the actual fake news "hucksters". He also claims to be a diehard liberal and has no remorse about what he spreads either. :roll:

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Woody just detailed that my assertion was CONSERVATIVE. She was backing away from the video narrative in less than 36 hours. It was a narrative, and given events in Egypt, as you recall, a potentially VALID narrative. To compare that to the absolute fake, generated by Macedonian teenager stuff that has loons shooting up pizza joints because Trump's people pushed a false narrative, they KNEW FULL WELL was false, is a REAL stretch. Even for Woody.
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Congratulate me. The Washington Post no longer allows me to freely read their newspaper.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

And now WP no longer exists in the bookmarks bar :lol:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

looks like somebody just got censored.
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I had them removed. There was no need to impose me what that strange conditions for the ability to read their articles.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Everyone gets 10 free article views per month before the paywall kicks in. You're not being singled out.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

That is, they are doing me a favor or something? :lol: I have already sent their the ★■◆●, don't worry.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

we'll probably be on the same currency soon, Sigma, so paying for the subscription should be easy.
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

What is the currency? Well, the dollar still is not bad for investments, but I wouldn't be surprised if in Russia the yuan soon will be more currency liquidity than the dollar. Although now it is generally longer barter.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

my observation was a wry commentary on our current state of affairs, vis a vis Russia and our election system and incoming leadership.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Personally, I think it would be a good thing to be on a better footing with Russia, if only as frenemies. We've been at odds far too long. But I hope Trump's chummy dealings with Putin are eventually for our country's benefit and that it's not some power grabbing profit making affair for him and his rich cronies. The way Trump's setting things up with his cabinet though, it looks more like he's setting up a giant business relationship for personal profit and not for the benefit of the country and the people as a whole.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Been at odds too long? Remember, our two nations essentially maintained an International Space Station program together for decades, worked on several nuke treaties that were generally helpful, and cooperated for a while on a host of topics, until Putin solidified power in his authoritarian purge of the past decade or so, and attempts to regain the old status of the larger Soviet Union.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:Been at odds too long? Remember, our two nations essentially maintained an International Space Station program together for decades, worked on several nuke treaties that were generally helpful, and cooperated for a while on a host of topics, until Putin solidified power in his authoritarian purge of the past decade or so, and attempts to regain the old status of the larger Soviet Union.
Yeah, things weren't too cozy between Bush and Putin either. But those same said Russian leaders we supported and worked with through the years, especially Boris Yeltsin, who was a corrupt drunk who also crushed his opponents' voices during elections, were NOT popular with the Russian populace after the fall of the Soviets. Russia was ripe for a popular strongman like Putin to come in and purge the Kremlin kleptomaniacs and corrupt gangster oligarchs that rose to power and trampled on the people. Putin is now wildly popular in Russia, so there's no getting rid of him by meddling in their affairs or throwing fits about it. We either work with him, or we become opponents all over again.

Now in a twisted parallel, we've elected an autocratic strongman who IS a member of the wealthy elite and HAS built up a cabinet of wealthy elites and dogmatic thinkers to do his bidding, something that we really have very little information about so far. Nothing out of that man's mouth is ever factual or shows any integrity. But in all probability, Trump is the one who will further enrich and entrench our own rising gangster capitalism. Plus, from the looks of his cabinet, he'll probably be responsible for taking away years of civil rights gains for those unfortunates who are immigrants, people of color, people who call themselves LGBT and women. He will also oversee the destruction of all hard won protections for our air, water and land in favor of greedy capitalists wanting profit.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I see no such civil rights trend, beyond an outright attack on abortion rights and maybe gay marriage, both of which would fail no matter who ends up going onto the court(currently 5-3 for both). I do see a wholesale attack coming on: 1) regulatory powers of the Federal Government. I mean everything from clean air, clean water, safe food, you name it. 2) an attack on the social safety net. As I stated earlier, I have become rather firm, to the point of putting my own money on the bet, around a very short term revolution in the workplace. The displacement from that process will make this attack particularly cruel, and potentially the downfall of this regime and 3) a wholesale gutting of the tax code,and thus the revenues for government, making any repair of the above involve significant tax increases to return to sane levels, knowing that to raise taxes is politically risky

It would seem that the Donald is going all out to try and endear himself to minorities, at least African Americans. For the moment, at least, and they've kept a pretty tight rein on the anti-Muslim faction and have downplayed the whole Mexico wall thing, too. I think those social items, even abortion, were campaign BS that only need be acted on to the minimum necessary to get the big agenda above rammed through.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say slick. Trump is going to set the swamp on fire AND bulldoze the remains into a parking lot just like any good tea partier would've done. They've gotten their man of government destruction they've always wanted and will eventually reap the rewards, a laissez-faire capitalist nirvana without all that damn government oversight and regulation. But I sincerely believe what I said above will also come to pass as well. It will be TOTAL destruction.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I see TC, you are falling into the Dem strategy of trying to legitimize Trump before he even gets into office. Lets give him a chance and see what he does. For better or ill, he is the guy in charge for the next 4 years

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:I see TC, you are falling into the Dem strategy of trying to legitimize Trump before he even gets into office. Lets give him a chance and see what he does. For better or ill, he is the guy in charge for the next 4 years
actually, as I said right after the election, I am NEVER going to legitimize the Russian meddling thing, although I said we ought to accept the election if nothing is SHOWN to be amiss. No, at this rate, Trump is not going to be the one in charge. Putin is, maybe, more than likely we'll have Pence to suffer through, but the Orange Buffoon has shown enough disregard for the Constitution and lack of restraint as to pretty much make it easy for him to be removed.
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Dear Владимир Владимирович, please, never goodbye USA debt, they do not deserve. It is not Cuba.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

There have to be some pretty good Vegas odds on Trump winding up impeached. I'll take that bet.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The way Trump is setting things up, I'll have to agree. :lol:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:I see TC, you are falling into the Dem strategy of trying to legitimize Trump before he even gets into office. Lets give him a chance and see what he does. For better or ill, he is the guy in charge for the next 4 years
Oh, I'll give the bastard a chance. What other option is there? He's been elected. But we liberals can't sit by and watch Trump and crew destroy everything just for personal gain and the detriment of the people. We WILL call him out on every crazy decision he makes and we WILL fight him tooth and nail when it's necessary. We LOATHE the man and what he stands for to the very core of our being. :wink:
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Top Gun wrote:There have to be some pretty good Vegas odds on Trump winding up impeached. I'll take that bet.
It's pretty easy to envision a ridiculous scenario worthy of impeachment, but I doubt it would actually happen. Anti-Trump Republicans were anti-Trump because they thought he would lose. They'll be all in now. They have a 2 year window to do whatever their little hearts desire. I can't imagine they'd do anything that would threaten that, like provide basic oversight of Trump that might unearth something.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:
Oh, I'll give the bastard a chance. What other option is there? He's been elected. But we liberals can't sit by and watch Trump and crew destroy everything just for personal gain and the detriment of the people. We WILL call him out on every crazy decision he makes and we WILL fight him tooth and nail when it's necessary. We LOATHE the man and what he stands for to the very core of our being. :wink:
Have you ever heard about the specifics of the relationship in the world elite?