Retrovirus got an editor... and it looks pretty slick

Discussions about the new six degrees of freedom game from Cadenza Interactive.

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Kidd Cabbage
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Retrovirus got an editor... and it looks pretty slick

Post by Kidd Cabbage »

Hey, I'm new here. I'm Jon.

So this game put out its editor, and I watched the videos on it... So this is really neato.

(video for reference:

Level editing is crazy in this! In the rest of the editor, it looks like literally everything is open for modding - from ship movement to weapons to levels to enemies to AI and triggers, etc.

So this begs the question... when is Descent being made in the Retrovirus engine? xD
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Retrovirus got an editor... and it looks pretty slick

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Not soon enough. ;)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiio Jon Peros -- it-full one, you don't fool us, talking as if you'd never heard of this game :D. I guess you might have not used the editor before though.
I've been building a singleplayer level since the night the editor was released, the structure is almost done... lining up rooms and other segments takes a while but everything else is incredibly simple and I'm incredibly impressed. The one problem I was having (with vertex editing) I managed to fix pretty quickly by selecting "mesh" for the segment. Now if only my computer could run the game at a decent framerate so I could play my levels once I add AI!

Oh well, art for art's sake is still art. But I'd like this art to be for my sake too!
Also, where do you go in-game to run your levels?

One other thing I must know... and you may be the person to ask. Is it possible to add your own music to your maps? And how do I do that? If I can't, I'm going to have to make a feature request...

By the way, Descent is already being remade on UDK by a large team. Maybe we should make a sequel to Descent on Paragon instead.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Kidd Cabbage
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Kidd Cabbage »

Haha exactly! I just do audio! When I watch these videos on the editor's level capabilities, it blows my freaking mind.

To open a level that you make, double click Entities > Levels > blahblah. (oh, I read the question wrong. I'm not exactly sure... am sound man :c)

Aaaaand, yeah it will be shortly if it's not in already. There was a bug on initial release where the tools didn't allow modification of audio, but it's been fixed.

Edit: It looks to me like you edit Entities > Levels > MainCampaign. I'm fiddling with it, trying to get a test map to show up.

Edit 2: Got it to show up. Make sure that "IncludeInMilestone" is checked for both the chapter and the chapter level.