Can someone make an OpenGL renderer?

For all coding issues - MODers and programmers, HTML and more.

Moderators: Jeff250, fliptw

LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Can someone make an OpenGL renderer?

Post by LightWolf »

I'm working on an indie project, and I don't fully know the math on how to set up a simple 3d rendering system. I was wondering if someone could while I refine some of the theory behind the gameplay.

The project is being coded in C++ and has SDL2 already integrated.

In terms of functionality, the game is going to be played from an "automap" perspective, so limiting the camera's position isn't an issue. The actual models (both object and level) are going to be read from a file, but I don't care too much about the format as long as its relatively easy to create said file.

In terms of payment, the game is going to be open-source freeware, so don't expect to be payed to create a free product. :P

If you're interested, let me know. I do have a couple more details to mention before you start, but I want to keep this post brief.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Can someone make an OpenGL renderer?

Post by Sirius »

You sure it doesn't make more sense to build on top of an already-built engine (e.g. Unity, or UE4 if C++ is a must)? Starting from scratch is one of those things you only want to do if you absolutely have to, and for a small or one-man project it typically leads to never finishing.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I prefer the extra control of having complete control over the entire piece of code.
That and I mainly want to see if I can actually finish it.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

LightWolf wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:03 pm In terms of payment, the game is going to be open-source freeware, so don't expect to be payed to create a free product. :P
Not sure where that assumption came from. People get paid for doing open source work. In fact, being open source could be good way to attract people to funding such a project.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Most people do prefer complete control... the question is whether it's worth the cost - modern game engines are already pretty flexible. But it is a way to get certain kinds of experience that you might not otherwise get, finish or not. Particularly about software architecture.