The Motorola Droid

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

The Motorola Droid

Post by Dedman »

This phone is Verizon's answer to the iPhone and is made by Motorola. I've been wanting an iPhone but won't tithe to AT&T to get it.

Has anyone heard anything about the Droid? Pros / Con
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I don't know anything about the Droid, but I know about Motorola's products. I have owned nothing but a Motorola since I got my first phone in 2007. They are excellent products, and in the last year they have significantly improved the quality of their manufacturing. I have the Krave and it is a very good phone. It is one of the sturdiest I have ever owned and it's not ruggedized.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

I'm waiting to check this phone out as well. Supposed to release 11/6. Only time will tell if we should believe the hype. :-)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I'm an avid fan of Palm's webOS phones (I'm a Sprint customer using a Pre) and read PreCentral a lot. They have a sister site that is a great resource for Android based devices:

http://www.androidcentral.com/

Another Droid phone coming to Verizon is the Droid Eris by HTC. It's basically a re-badged Hero.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I took a look at the Droid on Verizon and Motorola's site, and it looks like it's going to be a sweet smart phone. If and when I do get a smart phone I would get the Droid.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

i'm sticking to my BlackBerry
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Not sure if someone has mentioned this or not.. But Droid runs off the \"Andriod\" OS, its made by Google.

Android is hyped as being super fast and easy to add onto (such as creating your own apps). And from what I have read, Android is going to be loaded onto some Netbooks. Looks like it may get a good following.

Netbooks and Smartphones will be running the same basic OS.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

anyway - I think it has potental to be huge, simply because its a 3rd party OS, so many manufactures can use it. Much like Windows works for an HP or Dell. Droid will work for Moto or Samsung. So your apps you can take with you if you get a new phone.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Yup; that's why I like the Droid. Google Android is one of the best phone OSes I've seen, and it is UNIX-based and very efficient.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Zantor wrote:Yup; that's why I like the Droid. Google Android is one of the best phone OSes I've seen, and it is UNIX-based and very efficient.
You like it better than the iphone os?
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

I received my Droid a couple days ago. So far so good!

It's much faster than my BlackBerry was and it's amazing how fast and easy it is to share photos and videos now a days.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Android is not proprietary and restrictive like the iPhone OS. That's one of the primary reasons I like it. It does have its drawbacks that any OS would have, but they're things I can handle, mostly because I like Google, use their services, and have a relative who works for them.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Ryujin wrote:I received my Droid a couple days ago. So far so good!

It's much faster than my BlackBerry was and it's amazing how fast and easy it is to share photos and videos now a days.
How is the battery life? I've heard mixed reviews on that. Also I've heard that the actual keyboard is difficult to use. True?
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

So anyone who has the Droid hows it been for you? Everyone I know has an iPhone, but I currently have Verizon. Looking into the the Droid.
<FONT>Live</FONT> for the cause, or <FONT>die</FONT> for the cause, you will still be <FONT>redeemed</FONT> by the cause.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

I've had the Droid for a month now and so far so good. The battery life is not great as I've had to plug it in twice in one day on a couple occasions now. Those times were due to one lengthy phone call and frequent use though, I assume. It is certainly a nightly charge at the minimum though. I used to get 2-3 days out of my Crackberry.

The keyboard is less than ideal but I'm getting used to it and feel that with all keyboards, there is a learning curve.

Overall, I LOVE my Droid and feel it is leagues ahead of BlackBerry and a great little competitor to the iPhone for Verizon.
Daffy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Daffy »

I bought a Droid over the holidays. It's a great little smart phone! I've never had a smart phone before, so I can't compare it to others, but it's amazing what this thing can do!

Just bought a car dock and bluetooth FM transmitter today. Love the way it plays music and calls over the car stereo.

So, what kind of apps are you guys loading up on your Droids? My favorites so far are Cashew (a checkbook/savings app), Documents To Go (for reading PDF and Excel files), and for fun I loaded up the Tricorder, Picsay, and Magnifier, along with a few others.