What I need for a second monitor?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

What I need for a second monitor?

Post by thewolfe »

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 with a Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD.

My slots are PCIe x16(1), PCIe x 1(2), PCI(1) and I have already added a 56k modem.

What do I need to be able to add a second monitor to the system?
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

VGA connector and an HDMI connector come equipped with that system. I don't know if you can run dual monitors that way. You could always pick up an PCIe x16 card with two monitor ports to slip into that machine. Most newer video cards come with 2 ports now days.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

If you can, run dual DVI, rather than VGA and DVI. DVI looks tons better than it's VGA analog counterpart, especially with LCD's.

For instance, I run a GTS250 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133339) - works great.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Can you use a splitter with an HDMI output? I know you sometimes can with DVI (though there may be limitations on it - I'm not actually sure how it works).
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I would suggest to add a GF/X card, that IGMA has pretty poor performance on even a single monitor. This card would do if price or power is an issue, this one if not and you need more HP.
ImageImage
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Grendel wrote:I would suggest to add a GF/X card, that IGMA has pretty poor performance on even a single monitor. This card would do if price or power is an issue, this one if not and you need more HP.
Shizzle! that GTS 450 is a nice card. Elitegroup isn't my favorite brand, but still...
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Thanks for the input. I'll ck it all out.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Wholly cripe. A GTS 450 for under $200? If I give it a few more months those cards may end up in my price range.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Jing and screencast

Post by thewolfe »

I use Jing and screen cast. I haven't used it since I got my new Windows 7 computer and now find I can't upload to screencast from Jing.

It says: there is a problem connecting to the Internet. Please check your connections or proxy settings.

I was using zonealarm on my other computer but am using Windows firewall on this one.

I added Jing and \"allowed\". Still get the same message. What should I try next?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Wolfe, what do you need a 56k modem for? :P
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

I use it to dial out from my Outlook contacts.