BD-ROM vs BD-RW

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

BD-ROM vs BD-RW

Post by AceCombat »

is there really a reason to get a full blown BD-RW right now? i already have 2x DVD Burners from Asus, but seems that all the nice movies with "Unrated/Directors-Cuts" are going to Blu-Ray. hence why i want to purchase a BD based Drive for my rig. i could replace one of the DVD-RW's with a BD-ROM/DVD-RW from Asus, im still toying that idea.... but i some collective input before i spend the $$$ to get one.

have at it!! :mrgreen: :rant:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: BD-ROM vs BD-RW

Post by Krom »

Would being able to burn 23.2 GB disks be more convenient to you than being limited to 4.38 GB disks?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

ok, what the best drive out there.....for the best $$$ im kinda impartial to Asus for optical but can be deferred if needed
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

LG has nice BDXL drives.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i was looking at the LG's to be honest. :mrgreen: do they ( or was it another brand ) still have that stupid "Pop-up" embedded into the Firmware?

well no one is talking about that, so either it was another brand or they stopped. grabbed a LG burner drive.
anzial
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by anzial »

I've got LG BD burner, didn't notice any pop-ups. I've been using Nero though, maybe that's the reason.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i remember reading about that...... cant remember if it was LG or Lite-On though.... they somehow embedded a window popup that every time you cycled the tray, a window would pop up on your display, but get this.......

it wasnt Autoplay.... they actually disabled that with the firmware

it was an AD!! :shock:

to buy disc media made by the said manufacturer at a sale price if you clicked the ad, and yes you got it..... spyware!! people on newegg were posting work around links and everything in the feedback part.

okay drive should be here soon (within the hour), will CDBXP support BD and BDXL? or will i need something else? yes i have the latest version of CDB
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I prefer Imgburn myself, but CDBXP should support bluray disks as well.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i never knew IMGBurn can do just regular data discs? or compiliations? i thought it was strictly a .iso proggie?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Nope, IMGBurn can do regular data disks in addition to burning ISOs and copying disks to ISOs, it is kinda like Nero used to be before the bloat.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

okay issue.......

WinDVD 11 Pro - it SAYS it can play BD.... but, the three BD Discs i have, ( mostly brand new ) the newest Die Hard, will not play, it gives me a ....

WARNING

Your Player must be updated in order to play this disc.

------------------------------------

ok i did that, Corel gave me a link to update the Keypacks. still doesnt work, updated the firmware to the drive, still doesnt work...... Corel says it WILL play them, but a update is needed......well there are no more updates!

HELP!!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Its the DRM, you can either wait till they update the player so it can play the newer disks (might be a while) or you can get a different player software that is updated more often. But basically all software bluray players suffer from DRM problems like that.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

is Cyberlink a decent player?
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Did you apply the latest Service Pack to WinDVD 11 Pro:

http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index. ... id=3500025

You mentioned the keys update, but not the SP.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

mine came with the SP already installed, i tried it too, says it doesnt need it. i tried a Trial of CyberLink Power DVD 13 , and the disc works fine
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

AceCombat wrote:is Cyberlink a decent player?
Yes (and I should know because I did some BD video-and-menuing software development last year).

CyberLink's PowerDVD (I personally have PDVD 12 at home) and Corel's WinDVD are easily the two best out there, and there's not that much difference between them. The rest are way behind.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

so why would PDVD work and WinDVD not?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Like Krom said, it's just the DRM updates. For new releases (new DRM mechanisms), it can be "hit or miss" as to whether the latest player update will have the fix.

If WinDVD is fully patched and you're still having issues with older BDs, check the date on the drive firmware. If it's pretty recent, I'd suggest contacting Corel. Might be a known issue.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

AnyDVD FTW !