Descent for PS2

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent for PS2

Post by El Ka Bong »

Hi Y'all !

I've just finished moving to a new community ( White Rock http://www.whiterockonline.com/photos.htm ) near Vancouver, but have not yet set up my PC to get back online with some real D3 action.

So I went out and bought a Playstation 2 console, to 'console' my gaming heart ( and my kids') until I get back on broadband Internet.

And so I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the version of D2 that came out for PS1 ..? Or how do I find old Playstation games these days ? The only PS2 games we have so far are a car racing game (NFS) and a Ratchet and Crank game. I figured it would be worth trying the old D2 game as well... Any comments on this old PS1 game ?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I have copies of both Descent games for PS1; I was lucky enough to find them in bargain bins at gaming stores. As you can imagine, it's much harder to fly with a PS1 controller than a stick (although if you have a PS1 stick, you can use that instead). The framerate's pretty crappy, especially in the second game. However, the radiosity lighting effects make the game look a lot better than the original, and the music for the D1 port is pretty cool.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

... My collection of all-things-Descent should not be without a copy of the PS1 version of D2.. !...

Who wants to sell me a copy ? .. Top Gun, do you have spares ? .. !
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Hattrick wrote:http://search.ebay.com/Descent-playstat ... 1QQfromZR8

found em both here . :)
Gotta love ebay! :)
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Wow! Thanks for the spoon feeding ! Google and E-bay are all we need these days !

.. ok, off I go to bid !.. I'll see if I can get them both for $10 or less ! I can't imagine trichording with a PS2 controller !

Can't wait to get back in the mines, on line.. See you out there in a week or so !
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

good luck man!

see you in the mines!
:)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

If you do get them, be advised that you can't use the analog controller sticks to move, which does suck. The default config didn't work too well for me (for example, there was no way to slide up/down), so I came up with an alternate that I was able to use pretty well. I had the D-Pad for the X and Y axes, the four buttons for sliding up-down-left-right, L1 and R1 for moving forward/back, and L2 and R2 for firing primaries/secondaries. I used Select + L1/R1 for banking left/right (a slight disadvantage in that you can't do it while moving, but it's the best I could come up with) and Select + L2/R2 for switching between primaries/secondaries. Select + the four buttons took care of such things as laying mines, firing flares, and using the converter or headlights. In D2, double-tapping the forward button triggers your afterburner, so that was already taken care of. It took some getting used to, but I was able to move around fairly well after playing for a while. It wasn't exactly multiplayer-caliber, but it did the job for singleplayer. :)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I'm sure it was no trivial task trying to map Descent 2's controls onto the PSX controller in any fashion halfway intuitive. :)

The second game was called Descent Maximum. Like Top Gun said, the framerate is absolutely craptastic. Although the themes of the levels mirror those in Descent 2 (water, ice, fire, etc), they are all entirely different maps that are much smaller than the labyrinths in Descent 2. I think Dan Wentz did a lot of them, and several are compact, elegant designs.

You can search by zip code for a Gamestop store near you that might have a used copy:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=933159
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

ugh, I hated Descent on PS1, the controls were soo hard
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Combat Mode

Post by Mickey1 »

I started playing Descent on the PS1 combat mode. Two PS1s connected through the wall between the TV room and my son's bedroom. Great fun. Really didn't like Descent Max . Could be by then my son was kicking me bad. D3 is my revenge ! Ha, Ha, Ha KaBoom!
Top Gun, I think you can use the joysticks in Descent. I have but I was better as a button masher. I believe not all controllers will work.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

What were the levels in Combat Mode anyway? I couldn't be bothered to stick two televisions and two PSOnes and two Descent disks together to find out. ;p
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Combat Mode Levels?

Post by Mickey1 »

Kyouryuu, I can't be bothered to stick two televisions and two PSOnes and two Descent disks together to find out right now. ;p There were a group of three very small levels, Itsy Bitsy ... Then some small levels. You could also play in the singleplayer levels with or without bots. We only could do 1 on 1 so small was ok.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

The Playstation version of Descent 1 has some of the best music in it. I just converted them into mp3 format not to long ago, and I'd host them if I knew it wasn't illegal. :(
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

There's another site around with most of them available for download. If anyone wants the link, I'll PM it to them.
World War Woodi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by World War Woodi »

I would like that link please, I have the music but it's in XA form not mp3. I dont know how to convert them.
World War Woodi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Or if Tiger Raptor would like to share how he converted them that would rock also.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Gun wrote:There's another site around with most of them available for download. If anyone wants the link, I'll PM it to them.
*cough*
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Actually woodi I had to convert them to WAV first then to MP3.

But if you want to do it your self. Download a program called PSound. Once you got it look for these two files on your Descent PS CD Pigbert.xa, and Vanz.xa. Then just go to File and click on convert.

PSmplay is all another good program to use, and can also convert .str to .avi. Now I donâ??t remember where I downloaded from. Just type PSound or PSmplay in the google search and Iâ??m sure youâ??ll find a host. But to save your self the trouble just click on the link MD posted.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I have Descent and Descent Maximum for the Sony Playstation

there was only one controller truly suited and definately supported by both

Sony SCPH-1110 Analog Joystick

Have the link cable too, used to play PS1 Descent coop with my roomate at the time when i got it... since he had no online access or a computer
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Unable to connect to remote host

Post by Mickey1 »

Had time to drag out the PSOnes. Found the cables and game disks but one of the PSOnes wont spin the disk. It makes a click starts to spin but then stops." Unable to connect to remote host"; no combat level list. I'll try to find another PSOne. Hearing the opening music made my heart rate go up. Level 8 almost gave me a heart attack.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

I want that double JS .. ! !
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

El Ka Bong wrote:I want that double JS .. ! !

no shiz!!!

they still sell those Bubble?
World War Woodi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

x2 ! more info please, that rocks !
man I would love to play d1 over again the "right" way{with a controller that can trichord}

Wait a sec, that doesnt have twist does it?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

no it does not have twist, what i did at the time was use left controller l/r as bank
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I canâ??t find my Descent Maximum CD or Iâ??d it my self. Out of curiosity can the Descent 2 level editor open the Playstation .hog file, and possible extract them into the PC version.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

d3 for ps2 ... cool! lol (i got a ps2 last week =P)

...how crappy is the framerate for descent maximum? unplayable, or just annoying?
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent PSOne Combat Mode Levels

Post by Mickey1 »

Combat Mode
Mission select
Descent: First Strike
PSX Anarchy:1 Itsy, 2 Over the Top, 3 Bitsy, 4 Hunka Hunka Burnin' Lava, 5 Plasmatic Destruction Kit.
Total Chaos: 1 Mount Slagel, 2 Jalepeno, 3 Death from Above, 4 Southern Cross, 5 Bushwacker's Paradis
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:I canâ??t find my Descent Maximum CD or Iâ??d it my self. Out of curiosity can the Descent 2 level editor open the Playstation .hog file, and possible extract them into the PC version.
Nope. Whatever they used for the HOG format on Descent and Descent Maximum is completely incompatible with any and all HOG tools and mission editors for the PC. It wouldn't surprise me if it was some minor difference, though.
Spaceboy wrote:...how crappy is the framerate for descent maximum? unplayable, or just annoying?
Depends on your tolerance. Personally, I think it's almost unplayable. I think it's definitely dipping into the 5-10 fps zone when there's enough combat happening. Chasing the infernal Thiefbot at that rate is quite bad. A long time ago, I e-mailed one of the Parallax gurus (maybe Dan Wentz) about the prospect of releasing the Descent Maximum levels as a "normal" Descent 2 level set. Nothing became of that, however. It's a shame, because some of those levels were kinda' cool in a simplistic way.