I want a sporty import sedan. What are my options?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

I want a sporty import sedan. What are my options?

Post by Tetrad »

Well I made a stupid unprotected left hand turn and cut off somebody yesterday, leading to a massive dent in the side of my saturn. Given that I dropped collision coverage a while ago, I would have to pay for repairs out of pocket, and that would cost at least 2.5 grand, assuming we were able to get a used door and that there is no internal damage (which you can't see until you take the car apart). I got a high estimate of around 3.5-5 grand, depending.

This car is not worth that much, and I wanted to get a new car relatively soon anyway. So I'm stuck in a situation where I want an import, I want a sedan, and I don't want something that drives like a boat (aside: my roommate got into the exact same accident I did about a week and a half ago in his Prelude. He got a Taurus as a loaner while they were repairing his car and I didn't like the way it felt at all). I don't feel comfortable unless I feel the road. Something like the Japanese equivalent of a BMW 3-series would sound perfect for me. Price limit is around 20 grand or so, more for new Toyotas since I can essentially get them for cost (extended family owns a dealership). What would you suggest I take a look at?
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

how about a used saab?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Honda Accord Sport
Honda Prelude

Toyota Camary Sport
Toyota Solara

Chevy Impala
Pontiac Grand Prix

those would be my choices
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

www.cars.com

any used audi, saab, bmw, lotus
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Subaru, WRX all wheel drive I think it is, really fat and squatty looking but sporty. It's like a rally car, looks like a fun ride.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Subaru or Audi.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

All Subarus have standard AWD, for reference.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I have AWD on my Rav4 and I love it. It just makes a car that much safer. And it's cool to drive recklessly down gravel roads and not lose your tail end. Image

Subaru WRX or a plain ol' Subaru Impreza. 22K+ for WRX 17-20K for Impreza.

In May Toyota is releasing the Corolla XRS which will have a 6 speed manual tranny and 170HP. A sedan that light will really scoot, and the gas mileage is 32MPG highway. About 17K

Toyota Solara (damn sexy) with a 4 cylinder engine will only set you back around 19K.

You defiantly want to stick with Toyota/Honda/Subaru for long term reliability and excellent resale value.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

though not an import, you can go wrong with a pontiac grand prix. mmmm
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

RAV 4 <<<<<<< WRX. (How many "Less Than" are you allowed?)

What the hell? 2.5K to fix a friking door? Man, is that from some gold-plated panel beater or something? Sweet Baby Jebus. I replaced a door on my RX-7 just after I got it. Completely new door, without glass. I had to do all the interior trim (about 1 hour) but they fitted the door and the glass and it cost me $600 all up! (That's about $430 US). Spastic man.

Anyway, ignore his raving about the RAV. The simple fact is they handle like a lump of coal, will roll over at any opportunity, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding even at redline, and get stuck in about 2 inches of mud. If you want a gay 4WD - how about a Honda CRV? At least they don't roll so easy.

The Subaru WRX is one of the most popular "Boy Racer" cars here in New Zealand. It's the homologation special which is the favourite model here. (Only made enough of 'em to race them in the Group 1 Rally class) Typically they are in excess of 300 HP, with dynamite brakes, and killer suspensions (Horrible on bumpy roads) - but I seriously doubt whether these models are available in the USA: They're INCREDIBLY loud, blow flames on the over-run, and smell of unburned petrol at idle - almost as badly as my RX-7! (I doubt they could pass California emmissions and noise tests in "proper" form. But I'm sure you get some emasculated US version with a puny exhaust and 50 BHP less power.)
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

If you're looking for a semi-speedy family car then the WRX is the ticket. In stock form they're pretty quick for a street car but the handling was a HUGE disappointment to me and the brakes(mob?! thought you knew your cars?!) were very spongy. Originally this is the car I wanted to purchase for the wife, but,after driving a number of them I changed my mind.
The car has potential but it's going to cost far too much just to make it a resonable sportscar..They did a wonderful job marketing the car, I was sold... that is, until I drove them for awhile.

The WRX is a fun car when driven at its edge, other than that it is a novelty econo car with an occasional evil streak.]

There is absolutely nothing out there right now under 30 G's in the sedan class that I would consider. Nothing but over-hyped-over-marketed grocery pigs.

B-
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Mobius at what point did I compare my Rav4 to a WRX besides noting the fact that both vehicles have an AWD system...? Image

One is a compact SUV and one is a rally car inspired sedan...
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Just cut yer dick off and put it in a tupperware bowl right now and spare yourself the expense of buying a "sporty import sedan". Either way you won't be getting any poonanny Image.. my way's just cheaper and less humiliating.

Chebbies or bust.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I hear the Lancer Evolutions are pretty nice, though out of your price range. I personally just got a 2000 Nissan Sentra SE with the 2.0 liter engine and a stick shift. The front seats dont agree 100% with me, but no complaints about the power or handling Image
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Sting_Ray:
<b> Just cut yer dick off and put it in a tupperware bowl right now and spare yourself the expense of buying a "sporty import sedan". Either way you won't be getting any poonanny Image.. my way's just cheaper and less humiliating.

Chebbies or bust.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse me for thinking about myself wanting a car that's useful and still fun to drive over the fact that it doesn't "get the chicas".

And **** domestic.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

How is a WRX useful? Granted it's the lesser of the evils... but what do you mean by useful?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Useful as opposed to a coupe (edit: what I have/had now). I want 4 doors so I can carry people around and be able to park without OMG HUGE doors getting in the way.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

I do agree with that. My camaro's doors are each as long as the car you wanna get.. and probably as heavy. But the only thing a back seat is good for is an extension of the trunk. Fit more crap in there. And since I got a camaro, you know that's about all you can do with it anyways. Image
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Audi and BMW are awesome, I'm sure you'll find something you like. However, if you want real fun while still keeping a useful car, you should consider the VW Golf R32. It's probably a lot more than 20 grand, but it's worth what it costs.

The Audi TT is nice as well, but this is a small car, like the BMW Z3.

I will also recommend Saab, they have strong engines with turbo's varying from low pressure (~150HP) to high pressure (~230HP), and they come in convertible as well.

I am not familiar with Japanese makes, so I won't make any claims.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by kurupt:
though not an import, you can go wrong with a pontiac grand prix. mmmm</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just make it the 94-96' Series body styles and you set right. Image

me and kur know these types Image
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tricord:
Audi and BMW are awesome, I'm sure you'll find something you like. However, if you want real fun while still keeping a useful car, you should consider the VW Golf R32. It's probably a lot more than 20 grand, but it's worth what it costs.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MSRP on the R32 (once it comes) looks like it'll be right under $30K, so a bit over. Image (More than my Passat! Of course there's no real comparison between my 170hp 1.8T and the 240hp VR6 in the smaller package. Image)
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I second that "**** domestic" comment.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Get a 78 Gremlin!
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

Sorry to go a *little* off-topic. I don't really have an opinion on what to buy, but instead a tip on how to buy.

The best advice I could ever give anyone with regard to car buying (or anything, except for maybe a house), is to never buy beyond basic, used stuff UNTIL you have cash. It should be as reliable as your needs dictate, but that's it. In the long run, you're TREMENDOUSLY better off if you pay the payments up front to YOURSELF, and then buy your vehicles outright.

Most people (especially young males) overspend on cars, and make all decisions emotionally, and on whether they can scrape the payment. But, when you have cash (and it doesn't take THAT long to save, if you MAKE those payments to YOU), it puts a whole different spin on things.

Most importantly, it makes you really realize what that 20, 30, or 40+ grand took to save, and you make better choices. Plus, you have a little more leverage in the deal-making, and can avoid all the financing hassles. And, if you ever get caught short, and can't make a payment, you just have to make yourself wait longer for the purchase, or make it up along the way, instead of sweating the creditor.

Trouble is, no one ever even considers this approach until they're already looking for a car. Then, they're generally not willing to back off and go cheap for a while. I can tell you, though, that it feels very cool to be able to pick up a new vehicle, and know that you earned it, instead of realizing that "now you gotta earn it". JMO
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Herc, buying outright isn't necessarily cheaper. If I can get a low APR (which if my grandmother co-signs I probably will be able to), it's actually cheaper to use their money as opposed to mine. I can keep my money in stocks with high yielding dividends and overall it'll be less money spent by me in the end. Granted, if I finance I'd have to get collision insurance, but I'd probably do that anyway so it's really not an issue.

Of course I can think about things like this since I can pay cash for the car if I wanted to. I also paid cash for my old car.

And at this point in time I'll probably go with a decked out Corolla S. Buying used cars is both a hassle and an uncomfortable situation for me. I'd rather just get a new Toyota at just over cost so I don't have to worry about it, as well as getting exactly what I want vs. looking around for something that fits what I would possibly like. I don't really need a $20k+ new car to commute to school with.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

<font face="Arial" size="3">I can keep my money in stocks with high yielding dividends and overall it'll be less money spent by me in the end. </font>
lol! you've got to be kidding me. The market is a joke and has been since late 2k. You're going to lose your butt...

B-
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Fusion pimp:
lol! you've got to be kidding me. The market is a joke and has been since late 2k. You're going to lose your butt...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dividends dude. BAC is paying me 4%. HPT is paying 6.65%. RJR 6.63%. And those numbers are actually less than what I'm technically getting, as all three of those have gone up since when I bought them. Two of them significantly (22% and 46%) in the past 3 months or so when I originally purchased them.

But hey, whatever.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

You should do a little research and see what's *really* going on before you lose your X% and your capital. Things aren't going to last..and those that put their faith in the market are going to be jumping out of windows.... again.

B-
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Whatever you say.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Alrighty. heh
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Lexus IS300
Acura TSX
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I'd go Volkswagen Jetta before I went Toyota Corolla. They handle much better, have more room inside, look better and move faster. The only downside would be slightly higher repair bills in the event of a breakdown. Resale is better too.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

You sound exactly like me a year ago when I bought this...

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. Although limited in numbers, you can probably get one for under 18k easy. Another Descenter has one of these bad boys too. He has a Titanium Gray 03.5 version.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Punisher, I was considering a Jetta until I learned that the new ones are made in Mexico. That, and I feel they're very, very overpriced for what you get.

Mojo: I'm actually going over to the local Mazda dealer today. I'll have to take a look at it.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I've always liked Mazda but as of recently (correct me if I'm wrong) but isn't Mazda now made by Ford?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Ford owns around 25% of Mazda. So it's probably more like the other way around.

Or at least that's what I've heard. They do share some bodies, of course.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

Ford had no hand in the making of the Mazdaspeed. The Mazdaspeed team along with Callaway (they are responsible for the T25 Garrett engine) created this beauty. It's not the fastest car out there but for the price, it's a fun as hell daily driver that handles friggen AWESOME.

It's the last of the protege line from Mazda. Now they're going forward with their Mazda 3's, 6's, and so forth.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

"how about a used saab?"

LOL!!

A girl I have been dateing has an uncle that has probably around 5 or more of these and he always has the majoraty of them broken down and he is constantly fixing them. And guess what??!! He is the only guy even close to where I live that can even get the parts to fix them!! My bro bought one once and it constantly broke down on him and when he had to get it fixed, he would have to wait a long time because there was only one person who he knew of that could fix them and they live quite a ways away. Their a fun little car when their working and if you can get the parts but a pain if they don't.

My bro now owns a red 89 RX-7 and yes, he very much loves it. Image
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

91' camaro RS t-top
...blue