D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

It is my goal to have d2x-w32 run at the same resolution and color depth as my windows desktop. I want to do this to avoid video mode switching when alt+tabbing in between d2x-w32 and windows.

My current windows resolution is 1152x864 16 bit color depth. I set D2X to run at 1152x864. I still get mode switches every time I alt tab. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

spud
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You may need to force D2X-W32 into 16 bit color depth mode. See my D2X page for the appropriate switch.
spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

I tried using -gl_16bittextures, I assume that's the option you're thinking of. No dice I'm afraid. I'll keep trying stuff.

Also, I ran into another d2x-w32 player on Kali who had 'fast respawn' enabled. The nasty side effect of this features is still present -- when you kill them you don't see any of their spew. You see their spew where they respawn, they see their spew where they die, this leads to inconsistencies and problems.

spud
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I'll look into the fast respawn issue.

The switch is named "-gl_16bpp", that was stated wrong in the D2X switches description page.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Just got back to playing D2, and noticed a few things:
  • Certain explosions are rendered as transparent even though the toggle is off.
  • Explosions almost always being at least partially overlapped by walls (Maybe you could fix this by making the shots explode at a slightly farther distance from the wall?)
And here's a request: could you please change the difficulty slider (or make an option to change it) so that it automatically changes to the difficulty stored in a saved game upon loading one? D3's difficulty setup works the same way as the current setup, and I for one do not like it.

Also, I have NOT given up on the cockpit issue (I rarely give up on anything :wink: ), and by comparing D2X-W32's source code to the original D2 source code I came up with the following:
Try replacing lines 581 & 582 in "ibitblt.c" with:

Code: Select all

return (ubyte *)ret;
}
#else
ubyte   *gr_ibitblt_create_mask_svga( grs_bitmap * mask_bmp, int sx, int sy, int sw, int sh, int srowsize )
{
	return gr_ibitblt_create_mask_sub( mask_bmp, sx, sy, sw, sh, srowsize, BM_SVGA );
}
Dunno if it'll do anything, but you may as well try (I tried to compile the code, but I got a whole bunch of "unresolved external symbol" errors. :? )

Also, does the manual mention the "-player $$" switch? I couldn't find it anyhwere in there...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D3Hack,

Du bist eine Nervensäge. ;)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I just installed D2X-W32 for the 1st time (I know, but I've been holding off for a while).

Excellant Work! ! :P 8)

Here's my problem, maybe it's already been mentioned but I haven't found it mentioned in 28th, 27th, 26th pages of this thread... so here goes.

Whenever I save my Single-Player game, it saves and then completely exits out of the game. Should it do that?
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Diedel wrote:D3Hack,

*Can't read German and thus assumes that he's understanding you correctly (meaning you said that the cockpit thing didn't work)* Darn. I knew I wasn't that lucky. :P :(
TechPro wrote:Whenever I save my Single-Player game, it saves and then completely exits out of the game. Should it do that?
Err... definitely not. :wink: Must be a hardware issue, though, because it doesn't happen to me...
spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

Another request for finer granularity on the deadzone slider....
spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

double post
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Two problems with that.

1) If it's too fine, it'll take you approximately two years to move the sensitivity over to the value you want
2) If it's too fine, the screen will not be large enough for the whole slider.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sirius wrote:Two problems with that.

1) If it's too fine, it'll take you approximately two years to move the sensitivity over to the value you want
2) If it's too fine, the screen will not be large enough for the whole slider.
Then the solution is simple. Textbox, or command line option. Either would make the game INFINITELY more playable.

Though that doesn't really matter because of the way the slider is set up. It doens't move in a smooth uniform movement like the sensitivity slider, it jumps from place to place.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

here's an idea:

have it go: 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-10-15 etc
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

He said you are or its a pain in the neck! I'm thinking its you. lol :lol:
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Or do what most other games do and have a numeric field attached. ;)
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:

He said you are or its a pain in the neck! I'm thinking its you. lol :lol:
Probably right. I can be that way if I need to keep asking. :P :lol:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

TechPro wrote:Whenever I save my Single-Player game, it saves and then completely exits out of the game. Should it do that?
Oops! No, it shouldn't (and doesn't for me).

D3Hack,

what was your problem with the cockpit?

spud,

actually I could add a numerical sensitivity field for the joystick sens, but going with a sens curve might probably be more elegant.

I am currently in the middle of building a house, so I won't add that any time soon.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Diedel wrote:
Oops! No, it shouldn't (and doesn't for me).
It has done that to me every single time, but my oldest son (Scyphi on PD) says it doesn't always drop out on him (different player name).

It has run perfectly for me on two different Windows 98SE systems with no problems and the save option works perfectly. But on my Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 it has been dropping out after saving nearly every single time (EVERY time for my player).

HP with Intel Celeron 2.7ghz and only 256mb RAM. Intel integrated low end video (but hey! it works.) plenty of HD space, Norton antivirus (but not Norton firewall), and very little else running.

I've also observed the d2x-w32.exe remaining in the Process list AFTER the game has been exited, especially after performing the same command. I've had to end the process sometimes in order to return to the game.

I had done a complete clean install (no existing Descent 2) of Descent 2 followed by installation of d2x-w32 ver. 1.4.52 and that worked very nicely at the get go (except the save game command).

By the way, my boys (ages 15 and 7) and I really like d2x-w32. 8)
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

what was your problem with the cockpit?
Alright, let me try to sum it up here: the original D2 (v1.2) had a special algorithm for determining the size and position of the player's viewport based on the cockpit image. The viewport would begin at the position of the leftmost and uppermost transparent pixels in the cockpit image, and end at the rightmost and lowermost ones. Also, the rearview had a fullscreen viewport regardless of how much of it was visible.

That's pretty much how it worked (I think. :P Actually I'm just about positive.). When I posted that code, it was the result of comparing your source code with my version of the original (gotten from www.descent2.com ). I don't know if my version even had the algorithm or not, though...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D3Hack,

imo the viewport is fine. I couldn't observe any problems with it. All I did btw. was to re-enable the code for the various cockpit view after making them work with all resolutions (by stretch-blitting the cockpit bitmaps). So what the heck ... ?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Rear viewport is definitely not the same, though - some missions with custom cockpit graphics allow you to see out through the bottom half of the screen in Descent 2 v1.2 DOS. D2X-W32 clips that out, for some reason.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

^^ What he said.

I found out why my D2X-W32 Source code didn't compile, and fixed it. I'm currently going through the code to see if I can "fix" it; if I manage to do that, can you change the code, Diedel?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Dennis_1
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Dennis_1 »

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Here is my problem with colored lighting and here i have some screenshots.

First, the secondary walls being not colored at all except when there is some clip:

As can be seen, the door and metal around the rock is white, but the general light is red!
But when the door opens, it is right colored.

And now some weapon colored light problems:

The problem exposed in the screenshots is as follows:
TOP: The room is full lighted and the colors are right.
MIDDLE: I fire the Laser Level 3 and the entire room is darkened a bit,
and the lava looses color.
BOTTOM: I fire the Laser Level 4 and then the room becames monochromatic
and darker with only shades of green!
the lava looks horrible! :shock:

So what's the problem? it's my video card? it's a cheap SiS (★■◆● is ★■◆●) 630/730 and sure it's bad.

So i want to know if it's just me and if there is some way to fix all those light problems.

(BTW, I think the work of Diedel to add colored lights is really impresive and i would like to see it at full power!
Keep with the good work Diedel!! :D )
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

^^That's the colored light problem I (may or may not; I can't remember) have been talking about. Either way I noticed it.
Diedel wrote:Jesus Christ, the Rear View doesn't work in some age-old custom missions! Holy crap! That's catastrophical, cataclysmical, that's actually the last sign of Armageddon coming to us tomorrow! :eek:
Well, Diedel, if that's how you feel about the cockpit, it's OK with me. I'll still continue to look for a fix myself, though.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Re status bar hud:

Try to change to change the camera view positions (Ctrl+F3) to the standard locations. Status bar hud camera views should work then.

Re colored light:

I have chosen to override ambient light with weapon light. This can lead to weapon lights darkening and changing a rooms ambient color.

I'd need to look into the 2ndary/door texture color problem ... sometime.
Dennis_1
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Dennis_1 »

Lower cockpit bar views work properly now with latest release. Thanks Diedel :D
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Avatar »

I must say that I'm impressed with D2X-W32 so far... Makes me very happy to see something like this when I decide to get back into Descent after a couple of years of hiatus. :)

The biggest issue that I've found so far is with sound. I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and when I play D2X-W32 all of the sounds in the game are almost exactly one second late. I have messed with my sound card settings and even tried switching to my motherboard's built in sound chip. Same problem.

I also have had the menu in game disapear on me a few times. I will just have a black screen after it switches screen modes sometimes. If I press the right combo of keys to get a new game or quit or something then it responds correctly, I just can't see it!

I've seen some other minor weirdness, but I don't remember it off the top of my head. I'll post anything else that I notice. Now to find some MP games...

DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Avatar »

Ignore my previous post for now. I just discovered that I was running an older version... :oops:
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Just so ya know Avatar, you can hit the edit button and delete your own posts if nobody else replies.
b2af
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by b2af »

Diedel I got something you could add to d2x win32... what about adding force feed back?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

b2af wrote:Diedel I got something you could add to d2x win32... what about adding force feed back?
The code is in Descent2 already but it relates to the orginal Force Feedback protocol (I-Force via serial).
This was before Microsoft got their grubby mitts into it that area of hardware and started their own
Force Feedback protocol (Exos via midi) Rollout.

The Immersion Corporation would not sell exclusive rights to Microsoft Hardware divison for their product line.
So in turn, Microsoft purchased (swallowed up) a company called Exos
b2af
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by b2af »

so the only way to use force feed back is though that I force joystick? right?
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sound Issues

Post by Avatar »

Ok, a real issue this time. ;)

On a number of occasions I d2x-w32 has started doing something that I could only call a "sound test" in the middle of my playing. Basically it starts playing through a bunch of the different sounds in the game. Imagine my shock and fear when I hear an Earthshaker missile while playing in Neptune!! It will just cycle through these various sounds for a while and then stop at some point when another sound would play.

This issue usually started either when I respawned or when I switched weapons. It wasn't particularly common, but I did run into it at least once per multiplayer game. Obviously I can live with it, but sound is very useful when battling with some damn good players as I was. ;)
Draco
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Draco »

Just a simple request, do you think it is possiable to have the strafing, pitching and yawing rates set with a little bar thingy so the user can set it how they like it?

And a Question. When I hold down a key to move on my keyboard, pitching or yawing, the ship seems to jump/shake everynow and then for some reason. It's just a little shake, but it's bugging me a lot. Have any idea what's doing that?
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

The sound cycling thing I think I've run across before. Odd to hear for sure.