Firefly/Serenity

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Firefly/Serenity

Post by Genghis »

As a fan of the TV show, I really enjoyed the movie. I went with a couple of friends who never saw the show, and they liked it but didn't love it. We all agreed it was better than anything to come out of the Star Wars or Star Trek universes in a long time. But of course that's not saying much.

So are there any other Firefly geeks on the DBB?
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Firefly was THE best SF to ever hit TV. Bar none.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I was a little nervouse of saying anything for fear that it would lead to an argument. I thought it was a damn good movie. I liked it a lot better than Star Wars or any of the newer Star Trek TV shows or movies. I never have had the opportunity to watch Firefly but I loved the movie. It plays out a bit more like a western in a sense and reminds me a little of Lonsome Dove at times. All the characters have a way of growing on you somehow and it's played out a bit like a western. Each character has an upside and a downside but all of them are generally good people down deep or at least by the end of the film you gain a certain respect for them. :) At the beginning of the film I was worried it was going to be silly. I almost didn't watch it because of the trailer but I loved it. Probably one of my favorite sci-fantasy films of all time. :) I can't wait to see what else they do with this universe. This has a set of characters and cast members that can grow on you, unlike the last SW films.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Kilarin wrote:Firefly was THE best SF to ever hit TV. Bar none.
Nope. Battlestar Galactica (new version) is the best... bar none.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

My son was a huge Firefly fan, so my wife took me to go see it, the trailers looked good, but as a move I thought it was hugly lacking, I knew what was going to happen before it did, and I have never seen an episode of Firefly. it was ok and I enjoyed the day with my wife but I wont recommend it for anyone. Now Battlestar on the other hand one I got used to the characters, and the damn strange camera work has turned into an awesome series, and this is from a guy that has the original series DVD set
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

woodchip wrote:
Nope Babylon 5 was the best SciFi show Bar None
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

CUDA wrote:
woodchip wrote:
That's funny, I think these are three of the best scifi shows on TV ever, bar none! I think each one is different enough in style, plot, and vision that they are non-competing for my affections.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

woodchip wrote:
X²
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
woodchip wrote:
X²
Never saw Firefly but from what I've heard about it, Battlestar has it beat, if only by reputation. :wink:
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I stay home to watch Firefly and BSG.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

woodchip wrote:
um, no.
Far Scape was the best. "bar none"
Firefly is fantastic, but hasnt run its course yet, and cant compete with a cast/plot that has run for years (like FS or SG-1). (also, the movie was terrific!)
Babylon 5 runs a close second.

BG is good....more drama than science fiction however....nice mystery development so far though.

I'm unsure how Star Gate SG-1 (not SG atlantis) would fit into this genre, but as an intergalactic exploration type show, it's on par with Far Scape, and far more compelling than Star Trek even (ack!)

back on topic, Firefly has yet to run its course. the characters are very diverse and interesting and the scope of the show is great. I hope they bring back the series!

RM
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

woodchip wrote:
X3
rush
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by rush »

I have the DVD series of Firefly, BattleStar Galactica, and Babylon 5 on my shelf.....when I can I go for marathon sessions of each. watched all of the Firefly episodes the day before seeing Serenity. I was very pleased...and I hope they left it open enough for something more to come out of it, whether it be a new mini-series/ full series/ movie sequel....I loved the cast and Joss Whedon's vision. Although I wished they would've kept the original "operative" from the series. (he had a little more "edge" about him).

Before BSG started this season, I got together with my friends and watched season one right when it came out on DVD..... I'm still tryingto get through Babylon 5. All very good.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I saw Serenity and I liked the movie alot.

The only thing I didn't like was the trumpted up "theme music" while Serenity was flying by... it was too loud, and too pretentious. Other than that, the Characters seemed believable enough, but I don't like Mal. I don't know what it is about him, but he ruffles my feathers the wrong way. He has nothing on Han Solo.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Not having seen any of those shows, I will make the bold statement that Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is better than they are.
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

I actually started watching Firefly just this past weekend -- interesting series for sure. I want to finish watching the season before I see the movie.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Suncho wrote:Not having seen any of those shows, I will make the bold statement that Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is better than they are.
I really liked DS9 after they started the Dominion wars. some of the battle scenes were awesome. besides I'm a closet Klingon at heart :twisted:
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

woodchip wrote:
I've really enjoyed the new Battlestar but I'm not crazy about the filming style with all the fast zooms and pans.
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

So, should I watch the series first or does it not really matter? I woulnd't mind catching it while its still on the big screen if there's no huge spoilers for the TV series, or some other good reason for watching the series first.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

I'm glad I watched the episodes first. They provide a lot of background that make the movie more enjoyable. Plus, it would suck to watch the episodes after the movie because, as you say, there are spoilers in the movie that would ruin some of the mysteries in the show.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Bleh. Saw the movie and it was more Buffy in space than anything else. The story, plot and characters were about as clunky as the ship was.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Oh, I'm a huge fan of Firefly. I missed it when it originally aired because everytime it was scheduled to air, some damn ball game would pre-empt it. I've been watching the episodes on Scifi (which got me hooked on the first half of the pilot). What really appealed to me is that its soooo much like Farscape. Its wacky, original, and very plot driven. I've been trying to aquire the DVDs locally, but my efforts have been in vain. Guess I'll have to see if Wal-mart will do a store transfer (they have it online for the cheapest by far) so I can pick it up locally w/o paying for shipping. :) At any rate, I'm deliberately avoiding watching Serenity until I see all of the TV show (which Scifi only has 3 episodes left to air). (And no, I haven't read a single post in this thread...)
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

I like the Firefly series on DVD. The humor and music make it warm and fuzzy. The movie was three hours too short. Remember Browncoats no kissing on the lips ;)
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

CUDA wrote:
woodchip wrote:
I'd suggest we make a poll for this, but I like to avoid knife fights :P
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

ROFL.... I get a kick out you guys. You complain at Hollywoood because they can't come up with something new and unique and pump out remake after remake and then praise the new remake of BSG over Firefly which is new and unique.

Gotta love irony. :D

I don't really like the new BSG. I liked the old ones and I never had a chance to watch much of B5 but from what I did see, it had great special effects but it seemed to be a bit boring to me somehow. Maybe I just saw the crappier episodes.

Deep Space 9.... I could not hate a series more. I think I heard sometime when it came out that it was a rip off of B5's story. Gotta love Hollywood plagerism. (Not totally sure on that rumor though) I did like the few episodes where there were some huge space battles but other than that it was the single most boring thing on TV. I watched most of the series too.... about 3 times and it isn't like ST hasn't been done before.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

"New and Original" is not insurance for the movie from being bad.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yes, but in this case, it was a damn good movie.

DS9 was the single worst piece of crap I've ever watched IMO. I saw nearly every episode of the series probably about three times mind you. They used to show it really late at night here when I was a kid. I liked to watch some of the shows before it and usually worked while watching that. Put me to sleep a lot of the time.

I also wouldn't praise a remake of an awsome show where they changed all of the main characters and made the primary villan into something creative such as a robot who's eyes glow red during sex. OOOOOOOOOOH NEATO... that makes the show so much better...

Just like they raped ST slowly and painfully with Enterprise, Voyager, and DS9 :

Now Firefly the show I can't say much about. I don't get it where I live but the movie was pretty damn good, despite the weird choice for a soundtrack. :)

BTW, Han Solo has nothing on Sawyer. :D (Character from my favorite TV show of all time.)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

X2 with that Voyager comment. Other than mayby the Dominion wars there were some episodes that really creeped me out.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:ROFL.... I get a kick out you guys. You complain at Hollywoood because they can't come up with something new and unique and pump out remake after remake and then praise the new remake of BSG over Firefly which is new and unique. I don't really like the new BSG.
Actually, the new BSG is rather new and unique. It takes a few existing characters from the old series, and takes a completely different spin on things. There is an actual overall plot other than "RUN FROM THE CYLONZ!!!!!!". There is an actual interal threat as well as external. More than evident with the season 2 mid-season finale. Ron Moore (the same guy behind Deep Space Nine) has a knack for taking two seemingly insignificant plots and putting them together in a way that blows your mind. Find someone with a complete copy of season 1 and borrow it. Watch the mini-series and then watch the first season. It seems kinda weak at first, but it really builds up as time moves along and characters get the chance to flesh out a little. Season two is even better. Ron Moore even threw in some references to the old show, like the "Fire in Space" and a few others. Those fans of the original series would pick up on instantly.
I liked the old ones and I never had a chance to watch much of B5 but from what I did see, it had great special effects but it seemed to be a bit boring to me somehow. Maybe I just saw the crappier episodes.
Oh, B5 is a damn good show. B5 is one of those shows that if you miss too much of the show, you'll be lost when it comes to all of the inside jokes and plot.

Deep Space 9.... I could not hate a series more. I think I heard sometime when it came out that it was a rip off of B5's story. Gotta love Hollywood plagerism. (Not totally sure on that rumor though) I did like the few episodes where there were some huge space battles but other than that it was the single most boring thing on TV. I watched most of the series too.... about 3 times and it isn't like ST hasn't been done before.
Deep Space Nine is NOT a B5 knockoff. What happened is JMS went to Paramount to pitch Babylon5. They turned him down, and a couple years later they got pitched Deep Space Nine and it went through. JMS went to WB, which picked up the show and the rest is history. (it aired on UPN, of all places until TNT picked it up for the final season) Anyways, there are SIMILARITIES between Deep Space Nine and B5, but not enough to call it a rip-off.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Who's JMS?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

So, let me get this straight, they took the original characters, the original plot and changed it all, giving it a new spin? Isn't that what they did with I Robot?
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

There is about 3 or 4 conversations going on at once here.

[spoiler]rabid firefly communists.. [/spoiler] :P
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I Robot the movie was not I Robot the series of short stories. (Never was a single I Robot book, but a compilation of short stories)

It simply wasn't the same thing, not even by a long shot.
rush
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by rush »

BrownCoats UNITE!
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Lobber wrote:I Robot the movie was not I Robot the series of short stories. (Never was a single I Robot book, but a compilation of short stories)

It simply wasn't the same thing, not even by a long shot.
Not only was it not the same thing but they completely reversed the message. I, Robot (the book) went to great lengths to show that it wasn't the robots that were flawed it was us. The movie of course had exactly the opposite message. One of these days Asimov will rise from the dead and kill that scriptwriter. I just *know* it. :D
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yup and in the BSG the Cyclons are sex hungry whorebots and the main character Starbuck is a girl. :P

Starbuck was a guy and a very cool character. They nuetered him and made him a girl!!

I also don't recall the cyclons being a bunch of whorebots either.... Just falling in sync with Enterprise for better ratings. :

Nothing wrong with female characters.... but they completely raped the Starbuck character. :
The girl is allright I guess....

Sounds like they borked it to me....
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:the main character Starbuck is a girl.

Starbuck was a guy and a very cool character. They nuetered him and made him a girl!!

Nothing wrong with female characters.... but they completely raped the Starbuck character. :

First, the new Starbuck is twice the man Dirk Benedict was.

Second, do you really need 5 paragraphs to make the same complaint? :P
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I'd take a shower with the lady Starbuck and not feel that my heterosexuality was being compromised.

Dirk Benedict, on the other hand ... :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Yup and in the BSG the Cyclons are sex hungry whorebots and the main character Starbuck is a girl. :P
Umm....sex hungry whorebots? How much exactly of this show have you seen? I've seen every episode that has aired and the sex scenes are VERY rare and reveal hardly anything. If sex is what you're worried about, then I suggest you stick to PBS.

You obviously never paid any attention. Starbuck is anything but neutered. ;)
Sounds like you need to shed your ignorance by actually WATCHING the show.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

... My landlord works in the movie industry as a carpenter, he makes the sets of BSG... and mentioned it when he was over visiting today. We have a ceiling to rebuild; I have Rat-leStar Galatica in the old floor...

.. And I vote for FarScape !