tmp file - delete?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

tmp file - delete?

Post by thewolfe »

tmp file - delete?

I was helping a friend cleanup his comp so I ck'd the "Temp" folder under "Windows" and it was full along w/ this kind of file "fffe1dc9_{C7801960-E0AF-11D9-815A-0040F48365C3}.tmp".

I also found that same kind of file in his "Windows" folder but didn't know if it was OK to delete them.

What are these files and are they OK to delete?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

They are ok to delete. They are just temp files windows or other apps use and never delete themselves.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Anything in the Windows/Temp folder is completely safe to delete.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Just to clarify, these are not in the Windows/Temp folder. They are in the Windows folder.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

they correspond with registry entries... since windows is uber set on making it harder and harder to use the guts of windows everything as a cuid and coded placement. most often (i believe) they have to do with stuff windows installed for you, like active x controls and windows updates. isn't windows nice? (:evil: :evil: linux linux linux :evil: :evil:)

check the size and ask yourself the all important question... is the tidy look of my windows folder worth the .32k?

stuff in the windows directory is typical not worth being messed with. if you have a registry scanner or spybot s&d you can actually see that most of these 'codes' are hidden on the add/remove list (near the bottom) along with the ones you can see.

to fix this:
[spoiler] get a good linux distro [/spoiler]
:P

or just don't fret over it :)
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Got a post that said:"They are caused by having MDM running.

Run MSCONFIG > Startup and UNselect MDM

Reboot and delete all the TMPs"

What do you think about that?
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

If you're not sure about it, dont bother it. Unless theyre big enough to seriously eat up hard drive space (which i doubt), I wouldnt be too worried about a few temp files floating around.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Ten-four!
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Vindicator wrote:If you're not sure about it, dont bother it. Unless theyre big enough to seriously eat up hard drive space (which i doubt), I wouldnt be too worried about a few temp files floating around.
i swear i just said that....
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I said it much more coherently. :P
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

fyrephlie wrote:
to fix this:
[spoiler] get a good linux distro [/spoiler]
:P
or just don't fret over it :)

Such as? I tried Linux and found it too be too confusing, mainly in terms of file structure and installing new apps. (SuSe) This came as a surprise because I'm a bit of a windows bad ass to my VERY CLUELESS friends. . .
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

which linux distro questions are tough to answer...

these are the best resources:

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
great info and reviews on various distros

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
great distro quiz

google and linuxforums.org / linuxquestions.org

imo SUSE is great if you have an understanding of linux, i use openSUSE 10.0 on the box i am using now, took only 15 min to find the resources i need to enable multi-media that is disabled initially due to the opensource restrictions.

if you are really prepared to dig into linux gentoo is unbelievable beacause of the phenominal documentation they provide.

if you are just looking to be a casual user, wanting a free os and the free software that comes with it, and the ability to be free of microsoft and control both your os and your use of it... well i would probably recommend investing some time and reading about how different oses work

http://www.techiemoe.com/techimain.html
great rants about oses

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
is a great place to find out if you are really ready to let go of windows... and should be required reading for anyone who is thinking about going to linux.

keep in mind that i dual boot xp, even thought i rarely use it i still keep it around because there really are things that you 'can't' do on linux (at least without a lot of work i don't feel like investing), my dumb windows friends consider me quite the windows guru, but linux is still pretty foreign to me, and with the little time i have invested in it, linux has really paid off for me.

file structure makes a lot of sense when you figure it out,

/home/user/ is all of your stuff, consider it 'my documents'

/usr/ all the stuff you are using goes here, think of it like 'program files'

anything in a /bin/ folder is executable by the os without ,/ command

most everything else falls into the category i like to call, crap i don't need to worry about cause its where it's supposed to be :) basically everything else on the root of the drive is the stuff that you would normally see in C:\WINNT and \System32 etc...

installing apps if easy if you follow some basic rules: 1) check your distro's repository software management (in suse its YaST2, on Debian is is Synaptic / apt-get, on gentoo its emerge) they all follow some basic rules and make it easy to get about 90% of the software out there. you can also find 'new' respositories on the net to point the managers at that will give you even more control on what you get. 2) do some reading about software installation for your distro. do you need rpms debs or must you compile everything from source. 3) if you must compile you must compile. unfortunatley people here are usually nuts and bolts kinda people and are always looking for things that can't be just 'point and clicked'. read the install instrucs about what you will need, most of the time you will go to the package / software manager get a few things then just ./configure ; make ; make install. when you get used to do it: all is well.

but as i always say, to each, their own.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Thanks Fire'

That was a thoughtful answer and took more time than I probably deserved!

I think Linux is the wave of the future and I bought, not downloaded, my SuSe (twice) and dual booted it for a while, thus supporting ANYONE making some money for a good product besides MS. I may dual boot some again soon. I heard other contries, especially governments on a budget, are embracing this stuff like crazy. I probably need a Linux big brother to talk me through the mental blocks. Also, for Nubies reading this, I though the value and usability of Linux was AMAZING for the price.

Before anyone gets a bad impression reading this, I DID get it all installed, changed video drivers and surfed the net, used chat, and used open office with it some.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I am incredibly partial to FreeBSD, but unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing it is damn near impossible to install correctly. Once you've got that done, though, there's a trove of software that will work with your install (provided you don't go around deleting important files). It's called the ports collection, and to install software all you have to do is su to root, chdir to /usr/ports/package-name and do a make && make install. Assuming your ports tree is up-to-date (there's a utility built into FreeBSD to update it) the makefile will automatically download the source package, apply any necessary patches, and compile the program. It should install and work without a hitch.

Or if you trust the package to work and/or don't need to build it from source, you can just do pkg_add -r package-name and it will download the pre-compiled version for your platform and install it. If that fails, just pkg_delete package-name and install from source, but I've never had to do that. :P

But as I said, *BSD is NOT for the faint-of-heart. You need to know exactly what you're doing when you set it up; the installer does not hold your hand and, compared to good Linux distros and of course the nigh-unbreakable Windows installer, is comparably quite fragile.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

i have used freebsd, i enjoy free bsd, but still prefer linux. it is a little tough to install if you don't know what you are doing, but it is like any os... if you don't know what you are doing, don't freaking do it!!!

:)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

why as of late has every thread turned into a linux one...

guys if you do not have the answer to the question at hand please do not reply with "switch to linux"
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

switch to linux
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

FreeBSD isn't Linux. :P
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Is there a way to opt out of this post as far as the e-mail notification is concerned since it's no longer about deleting files?

Or is it possible to start a new post with whatever your now talking about?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

there is a small 1 px font link that says "stop watching this topic" below the reply and forum links... click that...

although i am sure this one is played out anyway....

SWITCH TO LINUX!!! :P