Question from an AMD n00b

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Question from an AMD n00b

Post by Burlyman »

Hey

I have a question about AMD platforms. Is the nForce3 Ultra compatible with the Athlon 64s with the "Venice" core? Also, will I have to adjust the CPU voltage in the BIOS? If so, which voltages does the Athlon 64 support?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Don't know the answer to those questions - but why would you be wanting to hobble a Venice core AMD chip by burdening it with an nForce 3 chipset? nForce 4 (Ultra or SLI) is a far better performing solution for AMD cores, it has more features, and is future proof compared to the obsolete, AGP-based nForce3.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Burlyman,

This is a good one I hear:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131530
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The answer to the first question is that the Nforce 3 chipset is fully able to handle a "Venice" core chip with no problems. And the second question yes you can adjust the voltage in BIOS but you shouldn't have to unless you are overclocking your system since the BIOS defaults should be set to read the proper settings off the CPU automatically.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Thanks, guys.

BTW, did you actually read that page, Ned? :) It looks like people have been having problems with it. Besides, I've heard complaints about ASUS from some people.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

DFI boards are what a lot of people are building AMD systems around, though they do have elaberate BIOS that can be dificult to set up. Solid boards if you don't mind learning how to set one up.
Mobius wrote:Dwhy would you be wanting to hobble a Venice core AMD chip by burdening it with an nForce 3 chipset? nForce 4 (Ultra or SLI) is a far better performing solution for AMD cores, it has more features, and is future proof compared to the obsolete, AGP-based nForce3.
I wouldn't buy an AGP board either, but I'm guessing he recently dropped $300+ on some nice AGP card and doesn't want to pay for a PCIe replacement. An understandable reason.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Burlyman wrote:Thanks, guys.

BTW, did you actually read that page, Ned? :) It looks like people have been having problems with it. Besides, I've heard complaints about ASUS from some people.
Yeah, take reviews with a grain of salt. One guy saying something is crap is no big deal, especially if there are many reviews positive.

This week Im building my third ASUS mobo machine. So far, I like the product and packaging thoroughness.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Welcome back Samus <cough> "Burleyman/Neo/AwakenedOne/Yadayada"
another alias to add your DBB Collection?

you're almost as bad as Vlider with his DBB ali'
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

No probs with my Asus NF1 mobo in my HTPC. I have an MSI NF4 for my 3700+ Venice in my main rig. I've had good expericences with MSI, boards last forever and the tech support is nice. They even sent me a new northbridge fan when my old one got squeaky and loud for free. :D
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

You guys missed a first here. Mobius said he didn't know the answer to the question. Is anyone else speechless?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

woodchip wrote:You guys missed a first here. Mobius said he didn't know the answer to the question. Is anyone else speechless?
he still spouted his two cents though.