AMD platforms and four (4) DIMMs

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

AMD platforms and four (4) DIMMs

Post by Burlyman »

Do AMD platforms work with four DIMMs yet? I read somewhere here that there was a problem with that configuration.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Yep, they work. However, it is reported that many motherboards drop 5% when the other two slots are filled with RAM.

Best to use 2 large sticks than 4 medium ones.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It always \"worked\", before when populating all 4 banks the CPU just set the memory speed down from 400 MHz to 333 MHz. Now it keeps it at 400 MHz, however it still performs slower then just two sticks because of the added capacitance forces slower timings.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

It doesnt force slower timings, it forces a 2T command rate, which causes a minimal performance hit, I gained an extra .003 seconds in superpi by going to 4 banks from 2, woohoo! ;)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

if you are inclined to use DIMMs with heatsinks, make sure the slots aren't too close together.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

I found heatspreaders made the temps worse actually >.>
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

939 AMD chips couldn't handle more than two sticks without dropping to 333 up until revision E, aka the Venice core. Haven't heard of any timing issues, but that's not saying much.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I am currently using 4x 512 sticks in my system (NF4, AMD64 3700+(Venice core))

The board auto clocked the memory MHz down from 400MHz to 333MHz, I just went in and set it back to 400MHz. I do agree the system seemes a bit sluggish in some loading scenarios.

But once things load I see no problems. IE, in WoW it takes a few seconds after the loadging bar is full to initially load the game but once I'm in, Ironforge at prime time with 100's of characters on the screen offers no slow downs or juts of loading.