shooting missles

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

shooting missles

Post by Kilarin »

something that has always bugged me in descent is that I can't shoot missles. I don't mean \"I can't shoot missles out of my ship\", I mean that if I see a mega coming towards me, I can't shoot it out of the air.

So, will Core Decision be the same? Once fired a missile is invulnerable?

Not that its an IMPORTANT issue, I'm just curios.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Interesting idea but it might overcomplicate multiplayer, you couldn't fire missiles at someone while behing hit by any weapons fire or you would take a big risk of your own missiles detonating and killing you.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

....and then you would have to address the unspoken issue of how your weapons got through the shields as well as the pickups.

\"One way\" shields seems kinda silly to me.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Krom wrote:you couldn't fire missiles at someone while behing hit by any weapons fire or you would take a big risk of your own missiles detonating and killing you
Ugh, very good point, I hadn't thought of that.
Duper wrote:and then you would have to address the unspoken issue of how your weapons got through the shields as well as the pickups. "One way" shields seems kinda silly to me.
I don't see how that changes in any way from the current status.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I sprnig boarded off of what Krom said, only I was thinking of missles being shot that are under your wings.

The it occured to me how weapon fire got through the shields and how pickups get through.

On the more practical side of your thought, I wonder what that might do to bandwidth. Now might not be an issue, but 6 years ago, I'me sure it would have been hideious.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

It probably won't add much gameplay value, just because after lag is considered, shooting down something as small as another player's missile will probably have more to do with luck than good aiming.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

exactly.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Jeff250 wrote:It probably won't add much gameplay value, just because after lag is considered, shooting down something as small as another player's missile will probably have more to do with luck than good aiming.
Play UT2004 and try shooting down AVRils or Redeemers. That should give a good idea as to how useful (or not) this feature would be.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It isn't going to be hard to nail missiles with something like the Gauss Cannon unless you have to factor too much for lag.

Especially since the missiles you're worried about are usually coming right at you. If the system was already in D2, you wouldn't think about launching mercury missiles towards a guy with the Vulcan because they'd explode in your face.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Yep, it was one of those ideas that sounds cool at the time, but looks really bad once you consider it.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Who said that the missiles have to explode when hit, why can't they just fizzle out?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

2 second invulnerability on missles to clear your ship. :) Doesn't have to explode, can just fall out of the air.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

In Quake 4 you can shoot down enemy missiles, in the mech. Why not in CD?
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Testiculese wrote:2 second invulnerability on missles to clear your ship. Smile Doesn't have to explode, can just fall out of the air.
Hmmm, might work. But you might want to cut that down to just 1 second. Even a slow missile goes quite a distance in 1 second.

Like I said at the begining, it just seems frustrating to be able to watch a missile approaching and realize that you have NO chance of shooting it down. But I recognize now that there are some SERIOUS implications to this idea that could mess up gameplay much more than they enhanced it.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Kilarin wrote:Like I said at the begining, it just seems frustrating to be able to watch a missile approaching and realize that you have NO chance of shooting it down. But I recognize now that there are some SERIOUS implications to this idea that could mess up gameplay much more than they enhanced it.
I'd say that it is worth playtesting. Heck, someone will make a mod for it if it isn't implemented, or a mod to remove it if it is implemented.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Why not just add a game mod feature similar to Unreal Tournament, then everyone can be happy.

Want to be able to shoot down missiles? Then add the \"volatile missiles\" mod to the game server.

Want to have everyone cloaked? Then add the \"stealth\" mod to the game server.

Want strange modifying powerups that regenerate your shield or make you explode when you die? Then add the \"runes\" mod to the game server.

And so on...

Worked great for UT!
Why doesn't it work?
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

IMO only missiles that can't be dodged should be shootable.
They did this in Forsaken (although the missiles concerned were
not available in multiplayer).

Edit: but being able to toggle it would always be okay, I guess.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

The Lion wrote:IMO only missiles that can't be dodged should be shootable.
Yeah, but I would hope that ALL missiles could be dodged, either by moving or using chaff. Just like the Descent series.
Why doesn't it work?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If you want it to do anything more than degenerate into a game of \"who grabs the missiles first\", then the missiles can't be undodgeable.

Well, if by \"undodgeable\" you just mean you need a handy wall for it... then it's not quite so bad. The dogfighters are going to hate it though.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Yes, I didn't mean \"unavoidable\".

\"The missiles concerned\" had an unlimited FOV and were able to follow
you around a corner, but could not see through walls and, most
importantly, were very slow (besides being shootable). They wouldn't
really make a good multiplayer weapon and were indeed not available
in multiplayer (in fact they were robot only).