A video for nOObs

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

sad the community has went down this far, i would like to see one of you HONORABLE guys TRY to spawn kill me after i die :)
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

:o
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Been there, done that.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Behemoth wrote:sad the community has went down this far, i would like to see one of you HONORABLE guys TRY to spawn kill me after i die :)
Alright let me load up on Smarts and MEgas and let's see waht youre made of, or in the right spot in the right level, IMs and Napalm rockets.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

d3jake wrote:
Behemoth wrote:sad the community has went down this far, i would like to see one of you HONORABLE guys TRY to spawn kill me after i die :)
Alright let me load up on Smarts and MEgas and let's see waht youre made of, or in the right spot in the right level, IMs and Napalm rockets.
make sure you load up on everything k?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Behemoth wrote:i would like to see one of you HONORABLE guys TRY to spawn kill me after i die :)
We can't. Its against our honorable nature. However, if you specifically WANT us to, all you have to do is ask... and you will surely die. :P

Bee
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Bet51987 wrote:
Behemoth wrote:i would like to see one of you HONORABLE guys TRY to spawn kill me after i die :)
We can't. Its against our honorable nature. However, if you specifically WANT us to, all you have to do is ask... and you will surely die. :P

Bee
forgive me, but did i not just say come after me?
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

d3jake wrote:Alright let me load up on Smarts and MEgas and let's see waht youre made of
Bettina wrote:all you have to do is ask... and you will surely die.
Good luck, and I would certainly enjoy watching that match. But I imagine Behemoth will be just as deadly spawning as at any other time.
Behemoth wrote:sad the community has went down this far
Behemoth, I've never seen you play any way that I wouldn't consider "honorable". I don't think the folks here are talking about anything outside the bare minimum of "try to play nice". And, as I have said several times, part of playing nice is not complaining if someone else doesn't have exactly the same rules of gaming conduct that you do.

I think it's much nicer NOT to typekill, but if I type, I have no right to complain if someone shoots me. I don't feel like encouraging a "play nice" attitude in new players is bringing the community down. Just so long as we don't let that turn into a "complain when others don't follow the same rules" whine. Whining is worse than typekilling, BY FAR.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Behemoth wrote:forgive me, but did i not just say come after me?
Yes, but you did it here. I can't speak for the other honorable players but as for me, you have to ask in a game so the rest of the players won't think I'm picking on you.

But just remember. Don't go crying to mama when I spank you in front of your friends. :wink:

Bee
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Bet51987 wrote:
Behemoth wrote:forgive me, but did i not just say come after me?
Yes, but you did it here. I can't speak for the other honorable players but as for me, you have to ask in a game so the rest of the players won't think I'm picking on you.

But just remember. Don't go crying to mama when I spank you in front of your friends. :wink:

Bee
i am looking forward to it.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

(however you spell it)
MASOCIST!
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

masochist. And I question who is going to be on the recieving end of this affair.

Set up a time and place folks. I wanna sit observer on this grudge match! :)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I was thinking about Kata, him spawning in teh little cubby hole thing, me at the top with Napalm\\Smart, and somebody else on the other side in teh door way with smarts, that'd take car of him, no prob ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

those kind of tactics only work in a one on one game or even maybe a 3 person game. Beyond that, you'll get waxed in Kata by sitting around waiting.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh, that's why I like Kata, I like camping in there...
XThermonucleusX
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by XThermonucleusX »

Cool movie. Now I gotta get started on my physics homework.. later :oops:
Sulaco
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sulaco »

There's two kinds of players, targets and me.

awww, never mind, this thread's way old... :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

rofl.

Learn to play people. It doesn't matter what guns you have or where you're hiding, a top pilot is STILL going to evade your grasp and kill you if they know what to expect.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

and sirius comes in with a saving catch! :)
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Knowing what to expect is just part of being a top pilot...
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Any chance on an advanced tutorial comming out?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I'd be willing to take a shot at it seening it as I have a better computer than when I first posted this thread, the big problem is HDD space, I have ~15GB free, which I doubt it enough. So if nobody is willing to do this project, it'll have to wait untill I can get a bigger drive...
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

FNBN

:]
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

any futher developments on that advanced tutorial - those of you who have seen me fly know that I need it :D
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

interesting thread ressurection.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

...yeah. Apart from the fact that I need it :lol: it occurrs to me that with Core Decision coming out sometime soon (hopefully), there's going to be a lot more interest in \"Dogfighting 101\" in general. If so - we may be able to drum up more support for and interest in Descent 1-3 from people who 'discover' 6DoF via Core Decision...injecting new life and blood in to our favourite game :)

Anyone else out there know of a noob (or two) who want's some quality educational video footage (besides me? :P )
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Gekko71 wrote:...yeah. Apart from the fact that I need it :lol: it occurrs to me that with Core Decision coming out sometime soon (hopefully), there's going to be a lot more interest in "Dogfighting 101" in general. If so - we may be able to drum up more support for and interest in Descent 1-3 from people who 'discover' 6DoF via Core Decision...injecting new life and blood in to our favourite game :)

Anyone else out there know of a noob (or two) who want's some quality educational video footage (besides me? :P )
I do. me me me.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Ive been a noob forever so I doubt such things will help me, even though I am interested. :D
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by Mobius »

Sirian wrote:5. It's too bad D3 failed to include a true Peer to Peer networking option. Without it, 1v1 play died out, and with it, the heart of the old community, leaving behind only a shell of what once was.
With all due respect to Sirian - that's just not true.

There IS a great Peer-to-Peer protocol in Descent3, and while there is a "server" (The person who starts the game), the only disadvantage to a joiner is that level events (like doors opening, weapons and players spawning) are controlled by the server.

The game-play in D3 P2P is essentially identical to the earlier versions.

What killed 1v1 play at PXO was Low Ping Pricks - and nothing more. here's why; LPBs found very early on in D3 online that they ruled a server (admins always set Client Server mode for goo dreasons) if they had a low ping. Hell I remember Propain sitting on 9ms at one point, with me playing in the same server at 300ms on dial-up...

Despite that being a stupid situation, the LPBs (and I'm not slagging Propain here - he is/was a really good dude) got so used to their sub-40 ms ping times, that they got fat and lazy on it.

If you wanted a 1v1 fight with these guys, they'd tell you to show at a server where they pinged under 20ms and you'd slog up at 250ms plus... They thought it was fair to play that way.

No - you could OFFER to play a 1v1 in P2P mode (Hell, I'd even ask them to host it so they had the server advantage for level events) but no LPBs are prepared to play that way, because the ping time is the same for both players, but the LPB is "crippled" by the "high ping" to their peer.

The other issue is that P2P play does actually tend to benefit "laggy" players - and those players who have crappy connects. Dropping position packets sent to the P2P server meant you could fly through stuff that'd kill you dead, without a scratch.

This was is the days before ubiquitous DSL connections, so there were a LOT of players on crappy dial-up connections, and playing against these guys P2P is/was a bit frustrating. Despite what SickOne used to say, the balance of power was STILL with the player with the best skills, but SOME advantage was given away to the lossy players.

P2P was/is useless for more than 2 players due to the rapidly mounting network traffic. 4 players could result in 20KB/s (not bits, bytes) which completely swamps a 56K connect.

Read the full dissertation on P2P play up at my ancient D3HELP web site. It's still there believe it or not: http://planetdescent.com/d3help

I still maintain that all 1v1 games should be played P2P, on high speed connects, with accurates enabled, a packet ratio of 10 or more, and a coin toss deciding who will host.

One day I even hope to play again. We'll see.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Mobius. On Kali, PvP in D3 sucked. The host was quite literally untouchable. It was obvious inside the first week.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

...so that's NO on the Noob video then?

Shame - It may actually bring more people to D1-3 via You-Tube. Oh well... :(
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Duper wrote:Mobius. On Kali, PvP in D3 sucked. The host was quite literally untouchable. It was obvious inside the first week.
QFT
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Ferno wrote:
Duper wrote:Mobius. On Kali, PvP in D3 sucked. The host was quite literally untouchable. It was obvious inside the first week.
QFT

Quantum Field Theory?

:wink: :lol:
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Mobius has no clue what he's talking about.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

Mobius wrote:I still maintain that all 1v1 games should be played P2P, on high speed connects, with accurates enabled, a packet ratio of 10 or more, and a coin toss deciding who will host.
If you want the best gameplay, the person with the slower connection should allow the faster to host, methinks. ;)
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent