Mass Effect

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Mass Effect

Post by Duper »

Trailers

I don't know if you guys have seen this. This is a new game by Bioware that looks Huge and very cool. I don't normally go for these kinda games, but this looks like it might be worthwhile. Grab the trailer and post what you think.

a side note: don't grab the biggest quicktime trailer unless you have high end machine.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Looks SWEEEEEET!

I've never played an RPG, but this game could convert me. I'll take a closer look.

BTW: The 720P HD WMV is outstanding quality. Mind you, it should be, it's 266MB!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

wow. that's just simply amazing. This game reminds me of Deus Ex.

this is going to be on my must-buy list.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Ferno wrote:This game reminds me of Deus Ex.
I thought the same thing. This game looks awesome. And you know its gonna have a lot of replay value just from the looks of the different options you have in conversations.

Very cool.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

MAJOR PROBLEM!!!

This is a game for XBOX360.

Oh well, it DID look good. But as it only a platform game, it can suck my testicles.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hrm.. that is a problem. Sucks to be me. /me eyes a new X360.

:wink:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

PS1 had GT2 and Final fantasy.. that made me buy a PSX.
PS2 had GT4.. which makes me want a PS2
now that X360 has Mass effect.. I think you can see the pattern here. :)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Damn consoles have to screw up every game! First it was the Halo series, now it is the Mass Effect... bastards!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

So anything can happen in that game? It's like gta+ sim city+ battlefeild + starcraft?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

It seems pretty scripted. I'm sure you can't go off and do \"whatever\", but I would also imagine that there is a great deal of freedom to wander.

Check out the site. Read the FAQ. Hit thier boards. ...I just like the eyecandy. ;)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Bioware/Obsidian is an excellent company. But if they dont port this game over to the PC then they are missing out on alot. Ill give 6 months until there is something definitive of wether or not it will be ported. Id love to play it.
Mobius wrote:MAJOR PROBLEM!!!

This is a game for XBOX360.

Oh well, it DID look good. But as it only a platform game, it can suck my testicles.
You and I are in accord.

[edit]According to their FAQ, this game is going to be a crock of ★■◆●:
6. Will Mass Effect be coming to the PC?

Chris Priestly: Mass Effect is planned as an Xbox 360 exclusive title. This means we are not working on a PC version and have no plans to start making one.
Microsoft wants as many 360 door-stops out the door as possible so Bioware signs a pact with the devil... I mean, um, Microsoft for exclusivity. :roll:
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

If the game is looking that good, with all its promised features, then I wouldn't even consider porting unless someone coughed up the money for support - They'd be going from a 3-core PowerPC with an specialized ATI GPU setup to an n-core x86 with mutliple GPU providers setup.

Bioware's last PC was published by Lucasarts. NWN is a Infogrames/Atari license.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Top Wop wrote: Microsoft wants as many 360 door-stops out the door as possible so Bioware signs a pact with the devil... I mean, um, Microsoft for exclusivity. :roll:
More like MS has a choke hold on Bioware.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

You forget though that both the Xbox and the 360 are by far the better online capable consoles on the market. Sony, while admirable, still has not grasped the online audience and Nintendo hasn't really gotten there yet.

Don't be bitter because you'd have to buy a console to play it. Atleast with consoles you have a system that will always run its games, unlike the PC market where the games dictate the machine.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Tyranny wrote:...unlike the PC market where the games dictate the machine.
That is mostly the fault of developers, and no one elses. Case in point, Oblivion. It is so chock full of shaders that even a modern system can choke on it. Now, enter www.oldblivion.com. Suddently with a little tweak and custom shaders, you can play Oblivion in a graphics setting that is not completely compromised and still enjoyable, just look at the comparison screenshots when you view the forums at that website. The difference in visual quality is not that dramatic while upping FPS. Why could'nt the developers do this? Why does it take an amature third party?

I dont care if its console to PC or PC to console, if the developer is a fan of gaming, they should not restrict themself to one platform. By doing so, you are not reaching out enough. Computers may be more expensive, but they are already used for so many other tasks, not just gaming. On top of that, you have the flexibility with modding and can even use it for complex simulations such as flight sims. The console in that regard is limited. But now im going off on a tangent of PC vs Console and that is not the objective of my post.

The point is, I dont have the money to keep up with 2 different platforms, I only have enough for one, and my preference is the computer since I already have one and due to the small list above explaining my choice, I should not be penalized for my preference on a gaming platform. Therefore all of this exclusivity nonsense is pure crap because Microsoft needs a crutch for its latest idiot box to sell well.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Microsoft has always been about controlling the arena. From the word go. Gates is just that competative.

still.. looks like Bioware outdid themselves with this one. Sweet lookin game and awesome concept.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Top Wop wrote:Why could'nt the developers do this? Why does it take an amature third party?
If you get a job in the software industry, you'll understand the need to ship. You can't do everything, you can't get every cool idea in and you can't accommodate absolutely everyone. Something that may seem simple from the outside can have far reaching effects in the inside. If Oblivion officially supported older systems then they'd have to support them as well. I think it's impressive that the game is versatile enough to allow moders to create such packages that expand the game's audience.
Top Wop wrote:I dont care if its console to PC or PC to console, if the developer is a fan of gaming, they should not restrict themself to one platform.
It's not a matter of restriction, there's no switch that they turned off that says "Ok, now we DON'T support PC". You have to spend money and time to create a multi-platformed game and then support it. It would be far worse if they created a terrible game that worked in all places. There's no end to this argument, if Halo supports PC, but it doesn't support Mac! YARR! World is coming to an end, when will the developers learn!?

Games should not be like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park:_Trespasser
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Topher wrote:Games should not be like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park:_Trespasser
mate that's one of my favourite games! :cry:

bitchslaping dinosaurs is seriously pants-pooping quality hilariousness :lol: