Web site feedback

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Web site feedback

Post by Mickey1 »

I want to sell my art on eBay. Do you think my site is too lame. I used the free site builder from Verizon. Sticks and stones welcome.

http://mysite.verizon.net/mickey1art/
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Well, my first thought was 'I have no clue as to what he is selling' but then I realized that of course you would put a description in your e-bay auction. If someone enters your site already knowing what they are going to bid on, it's a nice show of other items... although, I would remove the link to family and Descent photos. What I might do is limit them to a breif page of simular items, with a link to your ebay auction for each. Don't show them items that are unrelated to the item they are interested in, that may be confusing, or worse.

It would also help to have a brief description of each item.

If it is meant to be a stand-alone web site: From what you have I could not tell if you are offering photos for sale, pottery, or if they are digitally created images. Are they antiques, collectibles? Did you make them, are you a well known artist or a hobbyist? Do you offer custom work? How much do you charge? And, what is that in the Descent section? (it looks like homemade foot pedals, but the game pad seems to be attached.) Keep descriptions brief and to the point, keep pages small, and stay professional. Remember, people who see this will judge your business by what they see. First impressions do count!

Also when I clicked on 'Mickey Itchi Art' it was an email link, not what I was expecting. Stage 6 has very high quality videos, but many will not wait for them to load. YouTube is much faster, but the link brought me to an Abend video, which would be very confusing for your customers. When I scrolled down a bit, I found the pottery video, but I'm not sure a customer needs or wants to see a vessel spinning round and round on a roundy thingy. Put yourself in the position of the typical customer, or remember your experience last time you shopped ebay. What does your customer need to see to feel comfortable closing the sale?
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Thank you very much for the help in how to look at my problem. I had this site up just for fun and was going to tweak it for eBay. Verizon's Site Builder is very limited. Looks like I might need to get a program.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

The design is not bad, easy navigation, very good photography, I think a few tweaks and you will have what you are looking for.

If you have never written in HTML before it can be daunting at first, but it's really much easier than you might think. You can use a text editor such as notepad, I use Notepad++. Or you can use a wysiwyg proggy like Dreamweaver. Using a wysiwyg may get you a site with a smaller learning curve, but in the long run it might be worthwhile for you to learn what's under the hood, using a text editor.