RC Cars / Trucks ?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

RC Cars / Trucks ?

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'd like to get some info on what is a good starter package. I'm more interested in the off-road type. Buggies more than trucks.

I also want gas powered. I like power.

Let me know what your expierences are and how much it costs you to buy it and how much cost to maintain.

Thx
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I have no experience with glow engined cars. If you want an excellent starter car and don't mind electric I recommend a Team Associated RC10. Great little car. Easy to build, rugged, and an absolute blast. And if you decide to go electric, spend the extra $ on an electronic speed controller. Worth every penny. Then again the radio sets for cars may come with those standard by now.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

http://www.teamassociated.com/
This is where I'd start if I were gonna buy another toy, you might have fun finding a nitro buggy though.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

It all comes down to parts availability for me.

I have had the team associated RC-10GT (gas version of the stadium truck listed above) and beat the living snot out of it. I never spent more than 10-15 bux except when I replaced the radio system just for the hell of it. (I wanted a trigger based throttle and not the old box style dual levers)

I even shattered the connecting rod in the motor, it was still only 12 bux.

I currently have a Traxxas Rustler (electric) and I can only say that if you do go electric for starters, buy a replacement motor and more powerful battery. The run times on a typical 1500ma battery are so pathetic you can't get much enjoyment out of it.

Traxxas does make a nitro version of the rustler, which is ready to run, only thing you have to do is buy batteries for the radio system. That's your best bet IMHO. the parts are cheap, and readily available at most hobby stores.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I have a Traxxas Nitro Sport, it runs on alcohol and 10% nitro fuel. :twisted: It's off-road, and can do almost 35 mph. it was a little under $300, so it was pricey. I broke the air filter once and it was $7 to fix, so maintenence is cheap.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I have an electric Traxxas Stampede. Well, it's my 8yo sons). It's a kick@$$ truck. The servo saveer that comes with it is a POS, but I swapped that out with a better one, put a nice big bumper on the front, and it runs like a champ.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

How long do the battery charge last? Are we talking about hours or minutes?
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

Approx 10-15 minutes, depends on the cells
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Holy fack. Is that all? Man, whats the point of buying a battery powered RC then?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

They are generally cheaper than glow. Besides, you typically get a few packs and charge them when you are out using another one.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

Dedman wrote:They are generally cheaper than glow. Besides, you typically get a few packs and charge them when you are out using another one.
which totally defeats the approach of cheap. at 18 bux a pop per battery pack, plus a charger, you will spend AS MUCH on extra batteries as you would on a stock nitro car/truck. And that's just to try and match the run times.

In the very long run, I would say you get better value with a nitro kit. Those little motors can run on just about any mixture of fuel, and can be further diluted with alcohol as mentioned above. these things aren't daily drivers, and don't have emissions standards to follow. ;)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Not necessarily but it is something to consider. Check out this Nitro Truck. Complete with engine and radio. All you need is fuel and a few assundries and you are off to the races.

Nitro Truck $355
http://h1070026.hobbyshopnow.com/produc ... d=HPI10401
Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

My only expirience is from the video game "Re-Volt"