Not to beat a dead rat...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Not to beat a dead rat...

Post by BigSlideHimself »

But I've got another rat. I have one of those tall wall heaters with a pilot light. The rat or mouse or squirrel or whatever it is is inside of it. I guess it came in from a vent in the roof or on the side of the house? Where are those vents usually located?

Secondly, I don't know how these heaters are built, or how likely it is he can actually get through. For days I just lay in bed listening to him knock around in there. Any advice offered would be appreciated
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Snap traps work on squirrels too.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I was going to say lob a few m80's up there, but I guess you can go with boring old snaptraps.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Sweet, another life and death saga. I was so happy with the last one I got depressed when it ended. It had mystery, life and death struggle, and the suspence of who was gonna out smart who.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Cuda, here's something to tide you over for a little while:

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p ... er=2291347

There are quite a few off-topic posts, but just follow the main story.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Turn on the heater? Or get a cat man.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Your vent will most likey come out on the roof or somewhere near the top of the house.Since this is a wall heater I would suspect the offending critter has gnawed his way thru the wall into the heating unit. It is unlikely a rat has scurried down the vent tube although a squirrel could possibly have done so.
The chances of the critter making it out of the heater are slim unless there are gaps in the metal framework or as I said earlier he has gnawed his way in there which means he is most likely working on gnawing his way through the wall in another location.

I suspect the offending critter may be nesting in the heater. You should call the landlord and let him know that there is a critter inside the heating unit as this is and extreme fire hazard. If he isnt willing to come remedy this I would move a lil faster than you were planning or get a good renters insurance policy.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I have to agree with Hat. If its inside the heater it’s a fire hazard but it might just be nesting on top of it too and it just sounds like its inside. Either way I wouldn't take the chance. You really need to get that critter out of there and inspect the heating unit (or have a qualified person inspect it)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Better yet get a loaf of good dark bread, lettuce, onions, mayo and ketchup. Then turn heater on high and wait till the frantic noises stop. Turn off the heater, pull the front panel off and your sandwich meat will be roasted to a nice turn. Enjoy.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Red_5 »

woodchip wrote:Better yet get a loaf of good dark bread, lettuce, onions, mayo and ketchup. Then turn heater on high and wait till the frantic noises stop. Turn off the heater, pull the front panel off and your sandwich meat will be roasted to a nice turn. Enjoy.
Sick. Just let it burn.