Homosexual Day of Silence in our Schools

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Homosexual Day of Silence in our Schools

Post by Dedman »

Has anyone heard of this? I'm not sure I understand the point.
Linky
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

oh god that's stupid.

preventing their kid from attending school just because they don't agree with the event? it's ludicrous.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

No its not stupid. Regardless of your views its the parents job to install values to the child and it is the parents right to step in and object if it goes against there values.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

A homosexual day of silence…in school!?

That’s so wrong on so many levels…I wouldn’t know where to begin.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

It wasn't clear from the article exactly what the DOS was for. I didn't understand if the intent was to honor gay soldiers who have fallen in battle or lament the fact they gays are treated as second class citezens. Either way I don't think that an organized event in public schools is the appropriate forum.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Just search it, you'll see what its all about.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Hm. I did a quick search, and eight of the first ten results were the typical \"Quick! Protest this in your local school before the homosexual agenda pushes homosexuality on your children!\" It was actually pretty difficult to find any accurate and unbiased information about it.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Cuda68 wrote:No its not stupid. Regardless of your views its the parents job to install values to the child and it is the parents right to step in and object if it goes against there values.
yea and homophobia shouldn't be one of them.

it's wrong to teach your kids to hate.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Disapproval of homosexual activity, and disapproval of its promotion, is not hatred of homosexuals.

You all can feel free to stop equivocating that any time now.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

maybe not drak, but telling your kids homosexuality is wrong because you don't agree with it is a really deceptive thing to do.

And that's what makes it wrong.

Should I teach my kid that they shouldn't date a chinese person because I don't like their skin color? or how they behave? no. that's wrong aswell and all it does is sabotage the kid's critical thinking and understanding of the world.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Ferno wrote:maybe not drak, but telling your kids homosexuality is wrong because you don't agree with it is a really deceptive thing to do.

And that's what makes it wrong.
No, Drakona is correct there.

If you believe something is fundamentally ethically wrong (not just simple "I don't like it"), you definitely should tell your children not only that you believe it's wrong, but why.

My reaction to this is two-fold:
- Yes, Christians and religious organizations should be able to protest it as an ethical thing they don't want their children involved in.
- No, the reason for this 'day of silence' doesn't seem to be "pushing the homosexual lifestyle on our children" as some of the alarmist sites I saw are claiming.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

\"we don't serve your kind here\"
No, the reason for this 'day of silence' doesn't seem to be \"pushing the homosexual lifestyle on our children\" as some of the alarmist sites I saw are claiming.
what do you think the reason is?
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

The teachers just got tired of listening to the whiny brats. :wink:
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

WillyP wrote:The teachers just got tired of listening to the whiny brats. :wink:
I'll buy that :lol:
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I disapprove of African American activity, I think that it is morally wrong and sickening! I think that schools shouldn't push their values on people!
[/sarcasm]
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Foil wrote:If you believe something is fundamentally ethically wrong (not just simple "I don't like it"), you definitely should tell your children not only that you believe it's wrong, but why.
Don't forget to explain that it's a biological mechanism and not a choice.
ImageImage
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

I enjoyed all the Christian links that came up with lists of schools that were \"Likely to promote or benignly allow, this pro-homosexual event\". What do you bet that the list matches all the schools that won't teach Young Earth Creationism as science. :lol:

The whole event probably involved fewer people than the number of schools listed as \"likely\".
Are you aware of what was proposed? Gay students or supporters of gays students were supposed to stay silent all day and if asked why hand out an explaining card.
Yeah right, that's just the sort of thing your average gay high school student is going to involve him/her self in. \"Look at me, memorize my face so you can find me on my way home and beat me to s**t.\"

By the way I feel that if any student refused to talk in class that should be considered disruptive behaviour and they should be sent home for the day. What they do between classes in not the school's business.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Dakatsu wrote:I disapprove of African American activity, I think that it is morally wrong and sickening! I think that schools shouldn't push their values on people!
[/sarcasm]
ROFL. no kiddin! :D
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Hmm... tough call. I'm not sure whether said Day of Silence is a good thing or not. While I do approve of a day of silence like that, I don't think during class-time is the best time for it. On the other hand, I can't really think of a better place to do it than in school.
Ford Prefect wrote:The whole event probably involved fewer people than the number of schools listed as "likely".
Are you aware of what was proposed? Gay students or supporters of gays students were supposed to stay silent all day and if asked why hand out an explaining card.
Yeah right, that's just the sort of thing your average gay high school student is going to involve him/her self in. "Look at me, memorize my face so you can find me on my way home and beat me to s**t."
Well I certainly would have anyway, if they did it here.
Although frankly, if people seriously beat the crap out of other people in whatever school, then I would be WAY more concerned about the state of parenting than of homosexuality.
Ford Prefect wrote:By the way I feel that if any student refused to talk in class that should be considered disruptive behaviour and they should be sent home for the day.
Hmm...

What?
You believe that being completely silent during class, while having the teachers agnowledge that you shouldn't be talked to, is disruptive?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hmm talk about hypocrisy. Who is forcing their value system on our kids now in schools? God forbid it should be churches.. might as well be gays.

am I the only one that see this?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

and which views might those be, Duper?

EDIT: changed my statement to a question. previous statement was 'those who take part in this don't exactly have a gun against their head'
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

...and the church was intent on supplying guns to school teachers Ferno? oh, come now.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Duper wrote:...and the church was intent on supplying guns to school teachers Ferno? oh, come now.
This is a gross misinterpretation of what i said. I was referring to the fact that the people who take part in 'day of silence' do it VOLUNTARILY.

so.. which views are gays trying to force on people?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Duper wrote:hmm talk about hypocrisy. Who is forcing their value system on our kids now in schools? God forbid it should be churches.. might as well be gays.

am I the only one that see this?
The Closet is a Christian value?

The day of silence is a protest against the silence that gays are often forced into, mainly to survive in schools. Duper, are you really claiming this forced silence is a VALUE, and thus this cycle of violence and hiding should be PROTECTED?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

This is my favorite quote from a random site…

\"The thing that really galls me about this is that the whole premise of the Day of Silence is that homosexuals have to be silent in our society today because of discrimination,\" Lively said. \"Homosexual activists are the most obnoxious, loud and vocal political activists this country has ever seen.\"

Sooo true.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

You mean these activists who are protesting the silence they were forced into - are actually now refusing to be silent?

shocking.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Duper wrote: am I the only one that see this?

yup. I am

shame
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

look a minority!
may we stone him?

people who are different make me sick
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

What?
You believe that being completely silent during class, while having the teachers agnowledge that you shouldn't be talked to, is disruptive?
Okay, let me clarify. Refusing to speak if called on by the teacher to contribute to the class is disruptive. Maybe they were scheduled to read their paper or something. Sheesh, you have to be so clear here.
:lol:

I think the Churches are POed because they didn't think of it first. The Christian Right is always claiming that their views are stifled in the public school system so a Christian Day of Silence would be apropos don't you think?
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I would like an answer to my question duper.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So at what point in our educational systems history, that what ever a school promotes is acceptable?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

what's that got to do with anything? the school isn't organising this
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Frankly, I've just given up now. People just enjoy being bigots to just about anyone that's different from the norm. Yes, they enjoy it, and not just to homosexuals or people of the opposite sex. I mean, just think about how much the average American doesn't like nerds, geeks, gamers, furries, goths, communists, facists, sadomasochists, loners... I could go on for some time. And yet there's no activists supporting that bigotry should be stopped, only that certain groups should be made more acceptable.
Ford Prefect wrote:Okay, let me clarify. Refusing to speak if called on by the teacher to contribute to the class is disruptive. Maybe they were scheduled to read their paper or something. Sheesh, you have to be so clear here.
Then that would be one very obnoxious teacher to try to force a person taking an oath of silence to talk. It is a nationwide event, y'know, the teacher should have more respect than that.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

tigerASSUALT wrote:And yet there's no activists supporting that bigotry should be stopped, only that certain groups should be made more acceptable.
Maybe because no one has the gall to publicly tell your average family that being against homosexuality is bigotry? That's just a bull**** excuse to steam-roll the opposition, fueled by a few zealous, misguided religious fanatics.

I'm very much against homosexuality, and I am not a bigot.

By the way, most of those "groups" you mentioned? They're stigmatized in part because they're not healthy.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:I'm very much against homosexuality, and I am not a bigot.
The dictionary disagrees with you.

big·ot·ry /ˈbɪgətri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[big-uh-tree] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ries.
1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Or for a simpler way of putting it:
"A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own." -Wikipedia.
Also on Wikipedia, they specifically list Homophobia as a form of bigotry.

Actually, I'd like to hear what you thought the word bigotry meant.
Sergeant Thorne wrote:By the way, most of those "groups" you mentioned? They're stigmatized in part because they're not healthy.
That's bullspooney and you know it! The only one there that's unhealthy is sadmasochism and sometimes being a loner. And neither of those are anywhere near fatal anyway.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Dedman wrote:The dictionary disagrees with you.
That's just what I mean. That's not me. I'm not stubborn, I have some very good reasons for my convictions on that matter.

I mean, I could ignore people's reasons and call everyone here who is against religion, or Christianity in particular, bigots. I could also classify them as not being good enough, dismiss them, and then label you bigots. It might be true in some cases, I don't know, but I would have to be willfully ignorant or willing to dismiss any reasons you might have.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
I'm very much against homosexuality, and I am not a bigot.
Actually, bigot is not quite a complete descriptor. Self loathing bigot is closer to reality.

Studies done with men that have the most VEHEMENT and VOCAL dislike for homosexuality and claim that they are heterosexual, actually have positive 'physical sexual reactions' when shown erotic homosexual images. They also fail to react to female erotic images. This doesn't seem to happen to men who were secure in their sexuality and had no opinion one way or another on the topic of homosexuality. They responded only to female erotic images. Just Google 'penile plesmograph' for fun.

Two recent examples come to mind, Ted Haggard and Senator Larry Craig. Sorry for being slightly off topic.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I see the ISA* is already deployed here…

*ISA: The Impenetrable Shield of Accusation: That which is deployed by gays and others to deflect all criticism, by calling someone a bigot.