What does America stand for?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

What does America mean to you and why?

It'll be interesting to see what people on this BB say on this subject upon its celebrated day.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

A very very large island.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

America > *

And if you think its better somewhere else, move there.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

A beacon whose light, if ever goes out, will see a world a much darker place.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

It means an opportunity to be successful and be free of oppression. Thats why my parents came here from Communist countries.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

To me it's a place where you can do what you want (within the laws) and the worst you'll get from people is yelled at for being different, or maybe harassed by teenagers that think they know everything. It is the ability that through hard work you can eventually afford a decent lifestyle. My guess is that there are loads of successful families that started with hard labor but were eventually able to afford their own home, and live comfortably.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Lots of opportunity, beautiful spaces and an interesting diverse populace. It's like a superstore full of what most good dreams are made of.
Come get some! But please, use your ID at the gate don't come sneaking in under the fence!

Edited to add that last, and very important line.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

America stands for Freedom

However, keep in mind the we as a people are still trying to figure out how to do that, and do it well.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I cannot add to this.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

A
Massive
Entity
Reaching
Into
Civilized
Areas

(only acronym I could think of)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
*later amended to apply to non-white male landowners* :P

I'd rather live here than any other nation. I can't say it is the best, because I never went to Britain or any other country, but we have many other things others dont. We are a republic, and as long as we stay that way, I think we will be a great nation for a long time.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Although in practice the U.S. doesn't always live up to them, I believe the United States stands for the freedoms built into the Constitution.

Keep in mind that when the United States was formed, the idea of governmentally-granted freedoms of speech, religion, and such were almost unheard of. If nothing else, the U.S. is a pioneer in government where the people's voice is represented.

Personally, even when I disagree with something done by my government, it's awesome to know that I can voice my disagreement without worry. I love this country, and I'm absolutely glad I live here.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

A place for some people to love.

A place for some people to hate.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

CUDA wrote:We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I cannot add to this.
....and let America continue to ring the bell of liberty to insure that these unalienable rights are instilled into every person in every country and to let the despots of the world know that this bell will never be silenced.

Thanks America, for letting me live free, wear what I want, and see a puppy as an equal part of a family.

(Dakatsu...that was cool)

Bee
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

Dakatsu wrote:I'd rather live here than any other nation. I can't say it is the best, because I never went to Britain or any other country, but we have many other things others dont.
This is a good point. I don't really feel qualified to say that we are the best nation in the world because I've never lived anywhere else. But I do feel qualified to say that it's pretty damned great. (Do people living in other countries have some general feeling or sentiment that they are living in the best country?)

Also, obligatory Colbert reference:
http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertrep ... oId=174546
Colbert + Venn Diagrams = Lulzing
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Without having lived in other countries I'd say we must be one of the very best if not the best simply because we are the number one destination of choice for people moving to a new country!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Jeff250 wrote:
Dakatsu wrote:I'd rather live here than any other nation. I can't say it is the best, because I never went to Britain or any other country, but we have many other things others dont.
This is a good point. I don't really feel qualified to say that we are the best nation in the world because I've never lived anywhere else. But I do feel qualified to say that it's pretty damned great. (Do people living in other countries have some general feeling or sentiment that they are living in the best country?)

Also, obligatory Colbert reference:
http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertrep ... oId=174546
Colbert + Venn Diagrams = Lulzing
Before I click, it has to be that Sean Hannity "Best Nation on Earth" thing :P

EDIT:
Bet51987 wrote:Thanks America, for letting me live free, wear what I want, and see a puppy as an equal part of a family.
:D

Kittiens are better though...
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Bet51987 wrote:Thanks America, for letting me ... see a puppy as an equal part of a family.
Wrong era Bet. Animals, including puppies and kittens and whatever other ones people generally feel more sympathetic to, are still seen as not as 'living' as humans. There's no way they'd be majorly considered an equal with us.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Note: she said, \"letting me”.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

TIGERassault wrote:Wrong era
When was there an era where an animal was part of the family? :?
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Spidey wrote:Note: she said, "letting me”.
Well for that, I can't actually think of a country that doesn't let you do that.
Unless somebody's been listening to TB's rants and now believes all Muslim-run countries are anti-puppy.
Dakatsu wrote:When was there an era where an animal was part of the family? :?
I always figured greater respect for non-human life would increase in future eras.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: What does America stand for?

Post by TheCope »

ThunderBunny wrote:What does America mean to you and why?
None of your friggin' business.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

NASCAR and Miller Lite.

★■◆● yeah!!!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

America has lost what it came into the game as.
The ideal that we could have a nation of equality was doomed from the start, given our human nature to self-destruct everything we put our mind too.

That said, it's not the worst place in the world if you want to dream and think big, but the way things are going now, I wouldn't bet on it.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by MD-1118 »

Behemoth wrote:America has lost what it came into the game as.
The ideal that we could have a nation of equality was doomed from the start, given our human nature to self-destruct everything we put our mind too.

That said, it's not the worst place in the world if you want to dream and think big, but the way things are going now, I wouldn't bet on it.
True, it's not the worst, but it's not the best by a long shot, either.

On a different tack, the original concept of America would've worked as a nation of one person. Too bad we humans are social creatures.