Do soon-to-be-fathers go through a 'nesting phase' ?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Do soon-to-be-fathers go through a 'nesting phase' ?

Post by Foil »

Do soon-to-be-fathers go through a \"nesting phase\"?

In my world, yes.

Whatever the psychological reason, I've been experiencing what I can only describe as the \"nesting phase\" defined in all the books as something expectant mothers go through.

Yep, this past week or so, I've been frantically working to finish everything around the house to get ready for my son to enter the world. I've been cooking, cleaning, moving baby furniture in and old furniture out (we live in a third-floor condo, so this was some serious work!), re-organizing closets, taking extra stuff to Goodwill, more cooking, more cleaning, unpacking and assembling baby shower gifts... etc.

I'm really worn out. Is this unusual for a husband? Or am I just suffering the results of being a procrastinator for so long? :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

If you and your wife are close, I'd say you were right on track!

I'm sure Cuda could embellish more on this topic. ;)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

That sounds like mere preparation. You sure won't have the time afterwards!

When I get ready for potential dating, I do the same thing. I just painted every room in my house, for instance... :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

NO it's called get the place in shape before a hormonal wife and a screaming kid enter the house after a stay at a hospital.

You are preparing for the time when you WILL HAVE NO SLEEP

The hardest adjustment of any newborn is the time shift. where as Jr/Missy was so accustomed to sleeping during the day and having fun at night (in mom's womb) has a rude awakening, wondering why you insist on disrupting their already proven sleep schedule.

I unfortunately lucked out, my wife was working night shifts....to a point, so baby was right on track as far as the sleep schedule went. So.. I just had to adjust for the hormonally challenged wife as she regressed from full baby mode into breast feeding mode

Female = Nesting
Male = CYA

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I haven't slept in 2 1/2 years....

As far as nesting, I think couples go through that together, but each does different things, and it varies from person to person.

Sleep now, while you can!
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Yes - you're nesting. Enjoy it. :lol:

Yes - you will not sleep again for months, maybe years. Enjoy sleep now while you can :)

Yes - your wife will undergo an enormous transformation. Prepare for it. :o

You will never again be in sole control of your life. Get used to it. :wink:

...Fatherhood - there's nothing like it! 8)
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I feel that pressure, and we're not even pregnant yet. This bathroom renovation is past its 2nd year now, and I'm itching like mad to finish it so I can get other things in the queue done and get all organized and ready for that next big stage of life.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

BUBBALOU wrote:NO it's called get the place in shape before a hormonal wife and a screaming kid enter the house after a stay at a hospital.
X 1,000,000,000,000

That certainly was my motivation. I think it also depends on what child we are talking about. With my first, we did everything ahead of time. It was very important that every detail was perfect. Our second child is now 6 1/2 months old and still living in our room because we haven't gotten the nursery ready yet. :lol:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Rule #1 - Always agree with Pregnant/New Mother

Rule #2 - When Rule #1 is Against all logical common sense, refer to Rule #3

Rule #3 - Write down the situation in your little black book to blackmail her at a later time, go to Rule #4

Rule #4 - Never argue your point of view, you will never win against over productive female hormones wait until they subside (about 13 Months), Go to Rule #1

Side note : after birth it's like the first trimester again with the EXTREME change in hormones, get her to breastfeed to reduce the detox. Also get some Fenugreek from GNC to help her and you.(you being the fact she smells like a stack of pancakes)

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

Hmmm, I've alway enjoyed teasing my wife about her mood swings during the pregnancy, holding her hand and helping her breathe during labor/delivery, enjoying my week of vacation time from work to do the cleaning and cooking after the birth, (she's always been home within 24 hrs, except when we had them at home) and really enjoyed holding my newborns a lot during that first week.

The wife's always been back up and going after that week. It can be a really good time.

I've been through 7, and they've all been fun.

Of course eventually they become teenagers........
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

AHHHHHH Parent-hood.

It was the best of times,
It was the worst of times. :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

CUDA wrote:AHHHHHH Parent-hood.

It was the best of times,
It was the worst of times. :P
LMAO.. you coward. :lol:
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Now Foil, if you have a strange urge to collect sticks, fluffy things, along with shiny objects, making them into a circular place in which to rest, you may want to get yourself checked out....

=p
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

hehehe, I didn't go through a nesting phase, but a sympathetic eating phase --- i gained about 7kg during her pregnancy, and now, a year later, everything is gone again without needing to diet.

P.S. my biggest tip: get one of these. Our little one would not go to sleep without being near our bodies, and he would wake up as soon as we left the room. These were a life saver, we could always have him hanging around us whatever we did ... I even played descent with one of them on.