Recycle bin woes

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

TechPro wrote:I discovered it when looking for something to automate emptying the recycle bin on a computer (the users create a lot of sizable media files but can't seem to figure out how to empty the recycle bin now and then ... eventually filling the had disk) ... and this tool not only empties the recycle bin, but it empties the recycle bin for ALL of the users of the
computer.
Right click the recycle bin, select properties and then check the box marked "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted."

Also you could turn down the maximum size allocated for the recycle bin which should prevent it from taking over the disk. You could also install CCleaner, set it to clear the recycle bin and run automatically on startup.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

You can also hold Shift when you select \"Delete\" in the context menu or your pressing your delete key.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Krom wrote:Right click the recycle bin, select properties and then check the box marked "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted."
True, but unless I'm mistaken that only applies to the current user. I needed something I could schedule (allowing for restoring from the Recycle bin within a time limit). Otherwise, your suggestion is a good one.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Krom's suggestion for CCleaner is best. You can set it up to clean trash and other user's internet tempo files and such. those are custom settings and you need to know what folder they are kept in, but at least you won't need to log into the other profiles that way.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

well i learned to never empty peoples bins cause we have users that store important stuff in there bins and deleated items. y r users so stupid
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Let them lose it, then, Warlock. If the last 10 years of acclimation and a picture of a trash can isn't a good enough deterrent, there'sn't much hope for them anyway.

The RB is set to 10% by default, how is it possible that the drive is filling up? do you have 10 users? I edit multigigabyte audio/video files, and the RB cleans up after itself as necessary.