Adrastea Beta Testing

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

[RIP]Machete_Bug
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Adrastea Beta Testing

Post by [RIP]Machete_Bug »

Okay, so I finally got around to learning D3 edit. And as part of my self education, I started building rooms. Then I started sticking these rooms together into a level. Then building other little rooms to connect between. Pretty soon, I have this pretty HUGE level on my hands. I'm onto a new level using what I've learned, but would still like to see how the first plays. Especially since I'm recycling an idea or two. So...

Adrastea. It's one those obscure moons of Jupiter, and the place in the cosmos where I've put my first level.

It's just an anarchy level with no other game types supported. Unless there's a general consensus that it sucks bad, I'm likely to release it as-is or with only minimal tweaks. I know of a couple of errors that bother me, but would rather just pour some effort into a new and better level than to spend time fixing up this one. So I'll be happy with a \"not bad for a level noob's first time out\" and move on.

My wife's out of town this weekend, so I'll actually have a Saturday night free for a change. Perfect chance to give my new level a go. I'm working on getting it hosted on the Descent Retirement Home, and it's roomy enough for lots of people to come and play. Please do. Don't know if you'll like the level, but these days, any fresh ground to do some pyro smashing is pretty welcome to me. Heck, it's the reasons I stared learning D3 edit. Instead of whining about a lack of level variety, I'd rather just try my hand at building some myself.

Anyway, I'm running a couple of last minute power-up and lighting tweaks. I'd like to post a download link here by Saturday morning, then have it hosted up by 8 or 9 Eastern U.S. time Saturday evening.

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

It's just an anarchy level with no other game types supported.
:oops:

S.S.'s look nice though :)
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

It looks like fun. Where are you getting your static mesh objects?
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Wow, a nice new level for a change.
Definitely liking the size on this one+ design.
[RIP]Machete_Bug
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Octopus wrote:It looks like fun. Where are you getting your static mesh objects?
Hehe. Figured it wouldn't take long before someone asked a question that demonstrates my ignorance. I am pretty noobish to all this. :P

If you're talking about the Pyro in the pictures, that's my second computer in level playing model for my photographer. Figured it might help judge some scale. Everything I've done is within D3 Edit.
Behemoth wrote:Wow, a nice new level for a change.
Yeah, new ground is nice. Not that I expect it will replace any of the overplayed stand-by's...

We'll see how it goes. I already hate it's ugly plain square doorways and portals all over -- if only I knew what I know when I started. But that's what learning curves are about. Hopefully I'll get better at this.

Just a little reminder bump. Still hammering out the last little details of hosting this up on the Descent Retrirement Home. I'll post a direct download link, but I'm also working in a temporary auto-download plan so you can get the level from within game if you prefer.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I'm looking forward to it, Thanks.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

[RIP]Machete_Bug wrote: Hehe. Figured it wouldn't take long before someone asked a question that demonstrates my ignorance.
I didn't mean it to come off as rude. sorry.
[RIP]Machete_Bug
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Octopus wrote:I didn't mean it to come off as rude. sorry.
No no! I didn't mean it that way, dude! I was taking a jab at myself. I didn't take it as rude, and in fact I'm sure you asked a perfectly fine question. I was just amused that I hadn't a clue what you were talking about. I've never done any computer modeling and such before, so it's all pretty mysterious. D2 digital art, I'm all over it (video editor/Blu-ray compressionist for a living). Only things I know about 3D art and models I learned from watching DVD bonus material. :D

Anyhow...

This download works for now:

http://downloads.ripteam.com/d3files/le ... ea_b01.zip

There is no autodownload link in the file, but through some server trickery, you can autodownload when hosted from the Descent Retirement Home.

Which is where it is currently hosted.

72.232.124.90:2200

I'll likely just leave it up through Sunday.
[RIP]Machete_Bug
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Okay, for a short time I had 5 players in. Most of the time it was 4. It's a big level, so that's probably the bare minimum number of players before you have a genuine game going on. It's not very fast moving at that, but it seemed to play alright once we got to four. Love to see more in there, though.

But folks seemed to be liking it pretty well so far.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

I was enjoying it. :wink:

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Those horrible horrible graphics, I miss them so much :)