Unpublished stuff from the archives

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Unpublished stuff from the archives

Post by Tricord »

I found this in a file dated 11-MAY-2002. I probably meant to post this, but never did. So here goes (will probably give many people a blast from the past, hehe :))
Tricord wrote:Tribute to Descent community:

Helping with my sites:
Tetrad has helped me with RedFactionPlanet and used to help me on TNet as well
Asrale (aka Alpha-XP) helped with the news on PlanetDescent
BlueFlames wrote the daily Soupe Du Jour at PlanetDescent (and still does)
SolidAir (aka Programmer) used to help out on TNet
Tysoft also worked on TNet
Garner helped on PlanetDescent and RedFactionPlanet
Solrazor revamped and revived the D3Edit website
And of course all the others not mentioned here

Helping with my projects:
Garner has further developed the Unified project and uses it on his site - visit www.levels4you.com
Verran has given me the source for his Java-based D3 tracker, on which D3GT is loosely based (D3GT is still unreleased)
Gwar was the one I realised the D3Edit help file for
Matt Toschlog provided me with SQL access to PXO for making a D3 matching service, which never saw the daylight unfortunately
Kevin Bentley and Jeff Slutter during the D3Edit development days
Steve "Stinger" Klinger gave me general advice and we worked on many DNet modules together
Wolf on Air for general advice and help, also on the (unreleased) server-on-demand system I developed
There were of course many others too

DNet:
Heiko "HH-Soft" Herrmann is the one and only behind DNet. He has written many Descent tools, cracked many file specs and helped the developer community a huge deal. Also wanted to finish TUD but never managed :) (Ellusion will know what this is)
Steve "Stinger" Klinger created several DNet modules and helped brushing up PolyTron32
ZappaFan had the original Deltlef32 idea and helped promote it
Mark "Vyper" Redman created the ServMan32 and ServAdm32 DNet modules
Topher wrote the impressive LvlView32 module
Kuman is famous for his awesome 3D-renderings, but also for his 3DSMax model archive of D3 actors
Also as part of DNet, the members of Ellusion Design, including:
Solrazor has always made levels and has even won a prize in the IDLC
Garry Knudson created tools like PolView and RobotEdit for D2
Kruel is one of the most impressive levelbuilders ever seen in the D1/D2 days. For me, he is *the* best
Kam Sheffield was also a great level builder

Respectable Community Members for their Contributions:
KoolBear: For having the largest D1/D2 levelarchive and one of the most popular sites way back in '95 and '96. For running the IDLC contest and starting up the DBB that is still going strong. - visit www.koolbear.com
Pooterman: For having a very respectable levelarchive. - visit www.pooterman.com
ZappaFan: For maintaining a nice news site, a massive levelarchive, and for his prestigious level reviews archive. For promoting Detlef32 and hosting the Suncoast LAN parties.
Gwar: For running Descentia and writing D3 tools, including the almighty D3Edit.
Arsentia and Prescience: For starting up the PlanetDescent site and providing us with a fine source of news.
Tetrad and Gipsoncoil: For running Descent3D, being the best Descent news site while it was active.
Hal and Kiln: For creating the awesome PyroPimp shows.
Bobcat: For creating the PyroPlay shows.
PotzUK: For the famous UK-based news site PyroPort.
Thumb: For having maintained an impressive D1/D2 level archive on his website, ThumbWeb.
FuriousMojo (aka Ryujin aka CardioVascular :p): For starting the D3Community site, and later on taking over PlanetDescent and doing a great job keeping it up!
Schplurg: For establishing and maintaining his game editing site that covers D3 editing very well. - visit www.gameedit.com

Other People I respect:
Topher, Mike Menefee, Luke Schneider, Lothar and Drakona, Dark Wolf, Eagle, Tycoon, Joftinac, NoCat and many others.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

thanks for the shoutout tricord, I was almost positive I wouldn't have made the list.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

Now that's old school! :-)

Good times.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Before my 'time', as it were. Definitely some good history there. Now, if we only had an official Descent Historian. ;)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Foil wrote:Before my 'time', as it were. Definitely some good history there. Now, if we only had an official Descent Historian. ;)
That would be a volunteer job with no staff (but plenty of advisors) and no funding. Any takers?
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Well, Sirian did it for a while. You're old school if you remember any of this.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

o_0

whoa ... that still exists!

Thanks Drakona. That was a plesant trip.