Remote control software

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Remote control software

Post by captain_twinkie »

I use logmein alot to remote control my system and friends systems, but I don't like the idea of giving them my password to take control, is there another way or another program to remote control them, with out having them have stuff preinstalled or VNC installed or anything like that?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Microsoft has a remote desktop system- look into that.

You pretty much do need to have a program pre-installed, or pre-enabled. Also, you are going to want to have it password protected.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Most people have the home flavors of Microsoft OSes which don't have remote desktop. And furthermore most people don't have passwords on their accounts which disables remote desktop.

If it is just helping someone remote control their computer, you can use crossloop to do it. Its pretty simple to talk someone through installing it on their end and it works through most firewalls.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I recommend RealVNC. It may not be as featureful as remote desktop or LogMeIn but it's not dependent on a single account like LogMeIn is.

You install the server on the machine you want to remote to, and you connect to it using a client on the machine you are mobile with. The login information for password protection is stored in the VNC server rather than in a main account. This password is not tied to the windows password, either.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'll note that all remote desktop programs are somewhat of a security liability. Read the FAQ on security that VNC has. I wouldn't do any type of remote desktop over the internet, personally.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I like VNC, but if you don't want to screw around with forwarding ports, etc. Then I would reccomend Teamviewer I'm reasonably certain all traffic runs through their server(s) at one poitn or another, but the features it provides are really nice.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Personally, I use both Remote Desktop and Ultra VNC.