.PNG vs .TIF

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

.PNG vs .TIF

Post by Duper »

I've been considering some different formats at work. While jpg suites most my needs, it would be nice to have something a little less lossy. The gals in the marketing Dept use TIF mostly, but there are some neat features in png, such as Alpha support.

I'd just like to get some feedback from those of you \"in the know\" and there are a number of you out there. :)

thanks
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I think some of the main reasons is that TIFF supports layering. PNG doesn't natively (I know Adobe Fireworks does layer PNG's, but other programs can't really use it).
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I'm sorry, I don't know what kind of work you do. I might have something to add to this thread if I knew.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

it has nothing to do with this thread. I'm wanting personal pro's and con's of the formats.

I stated that jpg is adequate for what I do. ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

PNG renders in many web browsers and is one of the few ways to get transparency channels in images there. Whether or not TIFF is technically a superior format I'm not sure, but it certainly doesn't have as widespread support - most computers should be able to render PNG without any special software, but (I'd have to check this but I think) TIFF would need something like IrfanView etc.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Comparing the 2 might help you a bit from this site you might get to know a little bit more about the different types of file extensions.

http://www.scantips.com/basics09.html

TIF RGB - 24 or 48 bits,
Grayscale - 8 or 16 bits,
Indexed color - 1 to 8 bits,
Line Art (bilevel)- 1 bit
For TIF files, most programs allow either no compression or LZW compression (lossless, but is less effective for 24 bit color images). Adobe Photoshop also provides JPG or ZIP compression too (but which greatly reduces third party compatibility of TIF files). \"Document programs\" allow ITCC G3 or G4 compression for 1 bit text (Fax is G3 or G4 TIF files), which is lossless and tremendously effective (small).

PNG RGB - 24 or 48 bits,
Grayscale - 8 or 16 bits,
Indexed color - 1 to 8 bits,
Line Art (bilevel) - 1 bit
PNG uses ZIP compression which is lossless, and slightly more effective than LZW (slightly smaller files). PNG is a newer format, designed to be both verstile and royalty free, back when the LZW patent was disputed.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thanks Heretic, I actually read that.

Sirius, Tif is viewed by most major art programs these days.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, but my point is, PNG doesn't even need an art program.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I'm not sure there really is a big difference. Kind of like .OGG, .WMA, or .MP3.

I have used both TIFF and PNG for various print jobs, integrated into PDF.

As a final media file, however, most printers don't prefer PNG - they want TIFF or PNG.

So I would tend to view it more as different weapons to use in your arsenal.