Need upgrade CPU / Socket 939

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Disciple
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Need upgrade CPU / Socket 939

Post by Disciple »

I have a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR NF4 with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-60. CPU out-of-the-box runs at 2.61 Ghz.

Yeah, this has been a fantastic CPU and was worth the $1K I paid for it new but I'd like a little more speed without replacing the whole box ... Do I have any faster CPU options here?

Thanks,
D
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Good luck on finding anything that that old. I think Socket AM2 replaced that socket back in 2006 and had since been replace by AM3.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

heh

Wasn't Athlon FX-60 the last 939 chip?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I think I have one.

(Isaac is looking..)

edit:
I know I had one. The mother board died so I had put the chip back in its static proof case. Not sure where it is at the moment.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Not a lot of options left in 939, you won't find anything in retail but you may have some luck on ebay. There should still be some 939 dual core Opterons or other FX chips that can handle up to 3 GHz with the correct cooling and memory floating around in auctions from time to time.

Although even the best dual core 939 chips at 3+ GHz do not compare favorably to more modern designs, a Core 2 processor near the same clock speeds will easily best it by a large margin and i5 chips by even more.
Disciple
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Disciple »

I've been looking on Ebay but I don't really know what to look for ... that is, I don't know what would be significantly faster than the existing processor. I don't mind a used proc at all in fact, I'd prefer it so I don't spend a lot of money. Opteron huh?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

To be honest even going from 2.6 to 3.2 GHz on 939 isn't going to be *that* big of a boost. If you have to wait irritatingly long for something to load right now, you will still be waiting irritatingly long even if you totally max out the fastest and best processor you can possibly get in a 939 socket. At best you are talking a ~20% performance boost which in a lot of cases isn't all that perceptible.

On the other hand even the core i3 530 which is the cheapest current generation Intel dual core at $114 is consistently twice as fast as a 2.6 GHz Athlon dual core. You may just want to save up and spring for a new chip instead of trying to squeeze more life out of a dead end platform.
Disciple
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Disciple »

$114 isn't all that bad ... Any recs on a mainboard for that proc?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

\"The Opteron 185 and Athlon 64 FX-60, both featuring a 2.6 GHz clock speed and 1 MB of Level 2 cache per core, were the fastest dual-core processors manufactured for this socket.\"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_939

Basically: nope, you've got the best there is already.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Well $114 for a faster processor is one thing, but you would also need a motherboard, some DDR3 memory and probably a power supply too which is why I suggest saving up a bit. If you get towards $500-750 saved up you should be able to easily put together a dramatically faster system. You can probably recycle your video card, case and optical drives to save a bit. Although I would retire the hard drive and buy a new one since newer hard drives are consistently faster than older ones and that can make a big difference in how fast the computer starts up and loads programs.
Disciple
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Disciple »

Ok, gotcha ... I think I'll save my money and do just that. I should be able to come up with $700 to $800 in a few months. I have a GF 8800 GTS 512 video board and actually I have a relatively new 2TB WD2002FYPS disk I'll keep.

So I need to replace the following:
- Mainboard
- CPU
- PSU
- RAM

Suggestions welcome ... thanks for the help.