Share the Pain

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Share the Pain

Post by woodchip »

Sounds like Dept. Homeland Sec. is now in business of taking web domain sites:

\"Following on the heels of this week’s domain seizure of a large hiphop file-sharing links forum, it’s clear today that the U.S. Government has been very busy. Without any need for COICA, ICE has just seized the domain of a BitTorrent meta-search engine along with those belonging to other music linking sites and several others which appear to be connected to physical counterfeit goods.\"

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government- ... re-101126/

Sounds like not only are feds taking US based Domains but even foreign based Domains. Welcome the the net savvy Obama world.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

I wonder if the next step will be taking over domains of sites considered as espousing \"dangerous\" points of view- like tea party and conservative leaning websites.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Because pirating operations are totally legit and just as threatening as a conservative-leaning blog post.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Great firewall of America here we come.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

How does obama benefit from this, woody?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Its the MAFIAA lawyers that are all employed by the justice department that have crap like this going on. I dont think the president really has much to do with that except the perpetuating of the practice of hiring industry lawyers, which has been occurring who knows how long in all fields.

FCC: Telecommunication industry lawyers.

FDA: Pharma lawyers.

Etc, etc.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

They need to do this on Wiki leaks. You see some of the stuff they posted, like Saudia asking us repeatedly to go ahead and take out Iran.
Iran has nukes and could premptivly drop one on Saudia/Isreal and wipe out hundreds of thousands of people. If Isreal does not jump the gun and take out Iran...Scary stuff...
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

Cuda68 wrote:They need to do this on Wiki leaks. You see some of the stuff they posted, like Saudia asking us repeatedly to go ahead and take out Iran.
Iran has nukes and could premptivly drop one on Saudia/Isreal and wipe out hundreds of thousands of people. If Isreal does not jump the gun and take out Iran...Scary stuff...
Ive read on other sites today that Wikileaks is currently under a very large DDOS attack. So I imagine thats what theyre doing.

And honestly, a lot of that clandestine, back room crap needs to be revealed so the public can get appropriately outraged about it.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Ferno wrote:How does obama benefit from this, woody?
Did I say he benefited?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

woodchip wrote:
Did I say he benefited?
You did imply it.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Avder wrote:
woodchip wrote:
Did I say he benefited?
You did imply it.
I implied it happened under his watch and thus shoulders the responsibility for it happening...much akin to some here blaming Bush for wiretaps
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Avder wrote:
woodchip wrote:
Did I say he benefited?
You did imply it.
So…the government benefits from the laws they pass and enforce?

Who knew. :wink:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: Share the Pain

Post by Lothar »

woodchip wrote:Sounds like Dept. Homeland Sec. is now in business of taking web domain sites.... Welcome the the net savvy Obama world.
Customs (which answers to DHS) has long dealt with counterfeiting, and has long had the authority to seize property used in the act of counterfeiting as well as other felonies. That's why, in drug busts, the feds also take your Escalade or whatever. So this isn't exactly a new idea, it's just a reapplication of existing ideas most of us have not complained about in the past. As in other cases, DHS did have warrants.

The argument from DHS is two parts: (1) a web domain is "property" that can be seized like any other, and (2) the sites being seized are all involved in counterfeiting goods in some way (specifically, they argue that cracking/removing DRM protections and then redistributing the file is a form of counterfeiting.)

The case for (1) is solid. The case for (2) is solid for most of the seized domains (actually selling counterfeit goods) and questionable for a few of them (torrent sites).