Where's the beef?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Where's the beef?

Post by Tunnelcat »

Given it's fast food, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'm glad I don't eat at most fast food joints anyway. The food is just gross!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110125/ap_ ... ll_lawsuit
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

The meat mixture sold by Taco Bell restaurants contains binders and extenders and does not meet the minimum requirements set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be labeled as \"beef,
hahahhaah
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

No quiero taco bell. :twisted:

I always knew taco bell sucked. Now I know why. RAAAWRG!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I dunno, assuming the mixture has stayed the same over the years, I dont mind the not-so-meaty meat. What I do mind is how the percentage of taco filling has been shifting more and more toward lettuce while sacrificing cheese and the kinda-meat.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

you mean \"cheese\"
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i wish we had taco bell here.
i like tacos. Any sort of fast food that isn't fried chicken or burgers sounds like a good idea.

when subway started here, that was pretty great.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

Isaac wrote:you mean "cheese"
No thats been vanishing too.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Avder wrote:
Ick! Now these guys are getting even cheaper and using 'soy cheese'. Just nasty! It's not the same taste or texture.

That begs the question, since all soy now is GMO, unless it's organic, what will be the consequences of eating it so much? Personally, my system can't tolerate food even fried in soy based oils! That includes all the fast food french fries anymore. It ruins the taste too. Back when fries were cooked in lard, they tasted oh so good! But since that's really bad for us to eat, peanut oil would be a much tastier alternative as a fry oil.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

@TC: Also I hear that all the preservatives in fast food allow Embalmers to use fewer embalming chemicals.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

Pza: the delicious element.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

tunnelcat wrote:
Avder wrote:
Ick! Now these guys are getting even cheaper and using 'soy cheese'. Just nasty! It's not the same taste or texture.

That begs the question, since all soy now is GMO, unless it's organic, what will be the consequences of eating it so much? Personally, my system can't tolerate food even fried in soy based oils! That includes all the fast food french fries anymore. It ruins the taste too. Back when fries were cooked in lard, they tasted oh so good! But since that's really bad for us to eat, peanut oil would be a much tastier alternative as a fry oil.
Consider that many dairy products in the world are now derived from cows that are heavily injected with bovine growth hormone, which has been implicated in making boys more effeminate and causing girls to go through puberty as young as age six.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

Not to mention the chemical put in plastic used in teething rings and other baby toys that has the effect of 'feminizing' boys.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Blaze wrote:Not to mention the chemical put in plastic used in teething rings and other baby toys that has the effect of 'feminizing' boys.
What-choo talking about Blaze?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

THIS:

Bisphenol A

Mmmmmmmmmmmm cute, man boobs and breast cancers courtesy of plastics.

More:

http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Plasti ... 5nov03.htm
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/pastpodcasts.html?91#ref91

Find and download the December 4th (2010) episode (The Irrelevant Show), and start it at 3:15... it's the second sketch (though the first one is great too, so you might want to listen to that as well).
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Blaze »

Isaac wrote:
Blaze wrote:Not to mention the chemical put in plastic used in teething rings and other baby toys that has the effect of 'feminizing' boys.
What-choo talking about Blaze?
Look it up ^_~

Sorry, I lost the link for it and I don't feel like saving it again.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Avder wrote:Consider that many dairy products in the world are now derived from cows that are heavily injected with bovine growth hormone, which has been implicated in making boys more effeminate and causing girls to go through puberty as young as age six.
interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin
The United States is the only developed nation to permit humans to drink milk from cows given artificial growth hormone.[1] Posilac was banned from use in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and all European Union countries (currently numbering 27), by 2000 or earlier.

If you ask me, the main cause of boys seeming apparently more "effeminiate" in modern times, is the cultural loss of unrealistic masculine stereotypes. Good riddance.
Be yourself.

---------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precocious_puberty
Seems that obesity is the main cause of this, which makes sense as it correlates.

also this one was interesting, it seems that early onset of puberty in girls, can be an evolved reaction to an absent father figure in family life.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 072126.htm
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

roid wrote: ---------------
Seems that obesity is the main cause of this, which makes sense as it correlates.
Correlation doesn't mean cause. It could be the other way around or there could be a third variable causing both.
But you must have already known that.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

roid wrote:If you ask me, the main cause of boys seeming apparently more "effeminiate" in modern times, is the cultural loss of unrealistic masculine stereotypes. Good riddance.
Be yourself.
Brain washed much? Modern times like their men to be "manageable wussies" instead of strong leaders.

The only reason why people "Be Themselves" is because that is what society has taught them to be. It's a blending of gender roles in society - and it fails to make best use of both genders natural talents and abilities.

(just a note, I am no shovenist. I love and respect all women - just not the ones who feel like they need to act like a man. Or the men who feel like they need to act like a woman).

Sorry, off topic.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Thenior wrote:
roid wrote:If you ask me, the main cause of boys seeming apparently more "effeminiate" in modern times, is the cultural loss of unrealistic masculine stereotypes. Good riddance.
Be yourself.
Brain washed much? Modern times like their men to be "manageable wussies" instead of strong leaders.

The only reason why people "Be Themselves" is because that is what society has taught them to be. It's a blending of gender roles in society - and it fails to make best use of both genders natural talents and abilities.
agreed
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Thenior wrote: (just a note, I am no shovenist. I love and respect all women - just not the ones who feel like they need to act like a man. Or the men who feel like they need to act like a woman).
um, what's a shovenist? is that someone who shovels all day?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Ferno wrote:
Thenior wrote: (just a note, I am no shovenist. I love and respect all women - just not the ones who feel like they need to act like a man. Or the men who feel like they need to act like a woman).
Definition of SHOVENIST
1: excessive or blind shoving
2: undue partiality or attachment to a group or place to which one belongs or has belonged
3: an attitude of superiority toward members of the receiptionists; also : behavior expressive of such an attitude, To Shove in this.
:P
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Sorry, I have to post this...

Maybe you remember these ads.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

TOR_LordRaven wrote:MUST WATCH THIS:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... reme-court
The website is stupid. It won't let me watch it because I'm "in Canada".
TV networks have got to stop being so overpossesive.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Ferno wrote:

Everyday I'm shovelin!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Alter-Fox wrote:
roid wrote: ---------------
Correlation doesn't mean cause. It could be the other way around or there could be a third variable causing both.
But you must have already known that.
Urgh, i was wondering if someone would answer with that. Yes i was commenting more on why it makes intuitive sense, rather than why it is (but i can understand the confusion).

You are technically correct: Correlation doesn't technically imply causation, until studies confirm it. Short of a study though, Correlation actually does imply causation and is a perfectly fine shortcut most of the time. I mean think of the meaning of "Imply", it's more like "suggest", which is exactly what correlation does - it's a huge hint that something is linked here. And a study generally will confirm it, as even partially flawed logic used in everyday life turns out mostly correct (it can just fall into pitfalls now and again).

Sorry the whole "correlation isn't causation" thing has become kinda a pet peave for me. It's often an overused statement.
http://xkcd.com/552/
Thenior wrote:
Be yourself.

(just a note, I am no chauvinist. I love and respect all women - just not the ones who feel like they need to act like a man. Or the men who feel like they need to act like a woman).

Sorry, off topic.
The problem is that you have to define what a man is, and what a woman is, and you will invariably want to exclude people from your definition purely because of your personal biases.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
eg: are all TRUE WOMEN happy in the kitchen? Do all TRUE MEN enjoy watching sports?

My overarching point is that if you really study such limited definitions of man and woman, you inevitably see how the definitions are deeply flawed and limited. Please don't use privileged ignorance (You're heterosexual, white, male, Christian, American. Lucky you) as an excuse to not think about it - the relaxing of stereotypes has enabled many people to live much happier, inclusive, and richer lives. These people were up ★■◆● creek before, had to hide, and could not live full lives. If you were in their place you would feel differently.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

roid wrote:No true Scotsman
No there are lots. There are no true brits left though. They were all abducted by aliens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1sYgknWGSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljCQeqFouVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMCNltgrs1U

The horror! The blancmanges are going to win wimbledon!

To be more serious, I'm taking a Psych Research Methods/Data Analysis course right now so I need to be in that mindset.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Blaze »

I has a shuvel.
Alter-Fox wrote:
TOR_LordRaven wrote:MUST WATCH THIS:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... reme-court
The website is stupid. It won't let me watch it because I'm "in Canada".
TV networks have got to stop being so overpossesive.
Yeah they better stop being overpossessive or they'll end up being possessive :)

I agree with Thenior, because all my opinions are based on facts and not ignorance and emotion.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Blaze wrote:because all my opinions are based on facts and not ignorance and emotion.

ME TOO!!!! AAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAH!!! AAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Where's the beef?

Post by Blaze »

Just type /orangutan next time, it's easier.
tunnelcat wrote:Where's the beef?

I suspect it's being hoarded by the Burger King. >_>
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

The problem is that you have to define what a man is, and what a woman is, and you will invariably want to exclude people from your definition purely because of your personal biases.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
eg: are all TRUE WOMEN happy in the kitchen? Do all TRUE MEN enjoy watching sports?

My overarching point is that if you really study such limited definitions of man and woman, you inevitably see how the definitions are deeply flawed and limited. Please don't use privileged ignorance (You're heterosexual, white, male, Christian, American. Lucky you) as an excuse to not think about it - the relaxing of stereotypes has enabled many people to live much happier, inclusive, and richer lives. These people were up ★■◆● creek before, had to hide, and could not live full lives. If you were in their place you would feel differently.
I understand what your saying, and I do agree to a point. I don't think all women should be in the kitchen, and I don't think all men should love hunting, and watching sports. Very far from it. I think in our past history, there has been some major stereotypical gender problems.

But I also believe that society has acted like a pendulum, and swung too far the other way. For instance, Women are (typically) more nurturing, more caring, more soft and more gentle. They tend to also be more emotional, and they also tend to let their emotions influence their decisions more. This automatically lends itself to women being in roles where they interact and care for people, are a mother, etc. And lets face it, a raving, bossy, angry women isn't very attractive to anyone - but a sweet, kind, gentle woman is.

Men (typically) are stronger, more apt to think clearly in a emotional situation, but they are also more aggressive and bullheaded. Again, this is all generally speaking. What is universally regarded as a good man is a wise, strong, caring leader. No one really respects a lazy, belligerent, or bossy man.

And when you bring a emotional, kind, gentle woman together with a strong, wise man, you get a perfect relationship - what was originally intended in marriage. Modern society, in contract, tends to have men that act more like women, and women that act more like men. They also tend to be more independent (selfish, goals are self centered) and not family driven.

I know your probably thinking this is just my western mindset, but it is also a biblical mindset, and makes alot of logical sense.

Wow, that was a long way off of a thread about taco bell beef. And man, did I spell chauvinist wrong...
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

PUSH BUTTON

GRIND BEEF
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Host 1: "Do I detect a hint of real meat in there?"

Host 2: "They put everything in these luncheon meats, so yes, you definitely might be tasting real meat."
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Thenior wrote:Modern society, in contract, tends to have men that act more like women, and women that act more like men
You mean like how my wife is an engineer who develops military hardware and solves difficult technical problems, while I stay at home and take care of the baby and the laundry?
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Lothar wrote:
Thenior wrote:Modern society, in contract, tends to have men that act more like women, and women that act more like men

You mean like how my wife is an engineer who develops military hardware and solves difficult technical problems, while I stay at home and take care of the baby and the laundry?
Ok, first off, stop taking what I say and going to the extreme with it.

READ: I am not saying women must stay home, make babies, never get an education, and never work.

Every person is unique. When I speak about gender roles, I am merely speaking about what each genders typical natural gifts and abilities lend themselves to. I am not creating a box and saying that is what they must be. I don't look at some woman who is the CEO of a corporation and think, "gosh, she is out of her place. She should be working at home." I work with several women, and I think they do a great job at what they do.

In the past, our environment sort of naturally took on the form of men "bringing home the bacon" and women staying at home. For instance, a man went hunting and provided heat and food, simply because the physical labor required was more then most women could handle. Granted, this was severely abused, resulting in women being disgraced in society, and becoming extremely under privileged.

In modern society, it does lend itself more to women in the workforce. It no longer purely requires strength to provide, but both wisdom and knowledge. When I make statements about what women and men roles are, I use the word typical for a reason.

But I also believe that in modern society's attempt to buck previous misconceptions, it has undermined itself to some degree. It doesn't promote others, especially in a family relationship. It promotes independence, and tries to blur the lines between men and women. Men and women are equal, but they are not the same. All I am saying is that I think modern society has taken it too far, and is resulting in women who are too strong, too independent, and men that are, honestly, losers.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Lothar wrote:
that I have no problem with. while not a "traditional family" you have defined your roles. Though if I wanted to be difficult I could point to Titus 2-5 (though I only do this because of your profession of faith) My question would be who leads your family and who submits. if it is you that leads then you have taken that leadership role. if not then those lines may be blurred.

I will agree with Thenoir that with society in general the bluring of the Genders is becoming more prevelant
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

this might be best to split off into an E+C thread.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

CUDA wrote:this might be best to split off into an E+C thread.
Agreed.

I might jump in on this one if it gets moved.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

CUDA wrote: I will agree with Thenoir that with society in general the bluring of the Genders is becoming more prevelant
Not that blurred... :P Image

Bee