Your drug habit-

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Bet51987 wrote:So yes, in a way, you can look down your nose at them while still performing the procedure.
If you want to be self-righteous, sure. They both have broken kidneys.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:
Bet51987 wrote:So yes, in a way, you can look down your nose at them while still performing the procedure.
If you want to be self-righteous, sure. They both have broken kidneys.
one self inflicted
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

How do you know the one with cancer wasn’t “self inflicted” with 30 years of Gatorade?

After the first 5 or 6 stones…you never know where that cancer came from.

There is a whole ★■◆● load of crap we go to the doctor for that is “self inflicted” but we only consider that when it’s “drugs” or booze.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

ThunderBunny wrote: Yes, but did I use them to get drunk?
but you still did it for recreation ;)

can't worm your way out of this one, pal.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Spidey wrote:How do you know the one with cancer wasn’t “self inflicted” with 30 years of Gatorade?
in Bee senario one had kidney problems because of substance abuse. Serosis perhaps?? while the other person had cancer. they both didnt have cancer, but your point is valid. anytime you put something into your system that is not natural say like Chemicals (drugs) your more likley to do harm to your system. I believe thats the point she's making.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Jeff250 and ThunderBunny, I'm very careful about the amount of Excedrin I take, no more than 500 to 1000 mg in any one day. I know it's toxic to the liver and besides, the combination of caffeine and acetaminophen is very addictive and raises your pain threshold to the point that it will no longer work for pain management anymore, negating the reason for taking it in the first place. But it does work very well to kill or at least dull my headaches when I get them.

CUDA, I've thought about medical marijuana, but there's one reason I don't want to try it (by the way, I've never even used it illegally). I've heard that you has to smoke the stuff to get the full benefit, and really I don't need lung cancer as a potential future health problem. A stinky house to live in whenever I have to get a fix is not promising either. What would the neighbors think, that I'm running a drug house? :P

As for alcohol, I used to drink small amounts of beer or wine when I was younger, but alas, in my present migraine-plagued older age, I can't touch the stuff because it REALLY gives me headaches now. What's the fun in that?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

tunnelcat wrote:Jeff250 and ThunderBunny, I'm very careful about the amount of Excedrin I take, no more than 500 to 1000 mg in any one day.
That's good. I know other migraine sufferers who "self-medicate" except without as much restraint. The resulting health problems from regularly overdosing on OTC pain relievers, especially acetaminophen, can make marijuana's side effects pale in comparison.
tunnelcat wrote:I've heard that you has to smoke the stuff to get the full benefit
For migraine relief or in general? In general, this isn't true.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

null0010 wrote:
ThunderBunny wrote:Getting "buzzed" = retarded. You lose at life.
:roll: Fine by me if you choose to not use mind-altering chemicals but don't look down your nose at other people for doing so.
What kind of a demand is that? When someone is engaging in using mind-altering substances it tells me that they're not using good judgment. You boil that down and it means they're being stupid. In a way I do look down my nose, so to speak, at them, because I know better than to do that to myself. It doesn't mean I'm not a gracious person, but that I recognize a defect in their character, and the damage they're doing to themselves. Now these days most people know that drugs are bad for you. They may not know why, exactly, but that doesn't excuse them for denying it just because they derive some pleasure from their use.

When TB says "You lose at life." he is probably pretty close to the truth. Not that a buzz in and of itself makes you "lose at life", but the character fault involved in wanting to get buzzed is actually associated with wasting your life or living with less than your potential.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

It would seem to me that any behavior outside your very narrow world view is a “character fault”. People seek pleasure, it’s a normal human desire…it’s why you have sex or eat certain foods…and even why you play video games.

Yea, it’s not the best way to get pleasure out of life, but then neither is skydiving.

“living with less than your potential” Man just what the hell does that mean, sounds pretty materialistic to me, would Jesus approve?

I wonder how much people understand about human nature sometimes.

As far as Bett…I have to wonder if see also looks down on the client that has cancer after years of smoking or someone with a heart attack, because of years of fatty food?

I find it hard to believe that her judgmental outlook makes her suitable to be in the health care industry, because I’m getting the idea she may treat clients differently.

Self righteous hypocrites.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

realization by Marty in Back To The Future III wrote:He's an ***hole!
Spidey wrote:It would seem to me that any behavior outside your very narrow world view is a “character fault”.
Go ahead and talk about why you think my "world-view" is narrow, but be specific. Let's hear it, Mr Wizard. And when I say something is a character fault, I mean I see a character fault. I'm not being imprecise in my wording. It is a fault in a person's character to desire an escape from reality. It is the end result of bad decisions combined with bad judgment, and perhaps in some special cases just ignorance.
Spidey wrote:People seek pleasure, it’s a normal human desire…it’s why you have sex or eat certain foods…and even why you play video games.

Yea, it’s not the best way to get pleasure out of life, but then neither is skydiving.
Pleasure has its place in life. Apparently for the sake of your argument you (because I know you're not that stupid) have chosen to be ignorant of its natural limitations. Limitations set by things like discipline, diligence, restraint. An unbalanced pursuit of pleasure in anyone's life will lead to the detriment of their own life as well others.
Spidey wrote:“living with less than your potential” Man just what the hell does that mean, sounds pretty materialistic to me, would Jesus approve?
A man can live his life eking out an existence doing whatever he is compelled by his circumstances to do to make it by, and taking only what comes (whether or not such a man is a victim or ahead is nothing but a roll of the dice); or he can be disciplined, take the initiative, and make the most of his life. "Materialistic"? You're fishing in the wrong hole.
Spidey wrote:... because I’m getting the idea she may treat clients differently.
I see no justification for drawing that line. That's quite a slap in the face. That offends me.

"Self religious hypocrites"? You're doing it wrong. :P
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Blaze »

ThunderBunny wrote:Cool Bettina. I think that's the way to go. Stay sober. I wish more people would these days.
The last of a dying breed
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Jeff250 wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:I've heard that you has to smoke the stuff to get the full benefit
For migraine relief or in general? In general, this isn't true.
I guess for nausea, which I sometimes get with migraines, pills would be perfect. As for pain, they all talk about smoking it for relief. I'm also not sure what it would do for the transitory pain of migraine. It sounds like it's being mostly used to relieve chronic nerve pain mostly.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/ne ... earch-show

Spidey, my mother died from lung cancer caused by smoking. You know what she said to me as she was suffering through the effects of chemo and the nerve pain caused by the spreading tumors, all the while still dying from the cancer?

"All those years of enjoyment I got from smoking just was NOT worth it".

Whenever I see people outside of their workplaces on a smoke break, I have to resist the urge to grab them and shake some horrible sense into them and tell them that the misery they will surely face will NOT be worth it for the a few minutes of enjoyment they are getting at the present!

To any of you on this board that smoke, please quit. You may get enjoyment from it while you are young, but you WILL, WILL pay the piper when you get older, and let me tell you, you will WANT to enjoy life when you get older, not suffer health hell.

Bettina's right, when you enjoy your youth with pleasure crutches, you will suffer for it later on. There is no free lunch. You can't have the cake and eat it too.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

I blame Keith.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

YEP!
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

When people choose the wrong things to get pleasure that is a mistake not a “character fault”. Mistakes are not “character faults”. Criticizing people’s mistakes and thinking everyone should believe the same thing as you…“IS” a “character fault”.

And thanks for that correction…

tc my mother also died of lung cancer…and I sure hope that was not a result of some doctor looking down on her. At least not any suffering at the end, because of some judgmental doctor.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Spidey wrote:When people choose the wrong things to get pleasure that is a mistake not a “character fault”. Mistakes are not “character faults”.
What I wrote:It is a fault in a person's character to desire an escape from reality. It is the end result of bad decisions combined with bad judgment, and perhaps in some special cases just ignorance.
Spidey wrote:Criticizing people’s mistakes and thinking everyone should believe the same thing as you…“IS” a “character fault”.
That's a strawman. I don't believe anyone should believe something just because I believe it. But I think I know what I'm talking about, and I dare to separate right from wrong.

You're welcome, for the correction. ;) If you're going to be an ass I'm not above having a little fun with it now and again.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well then see, the problem lies in your ignorance…because most people take drugs to get a little euphoric pleasure, not to “escape reality”.

That’s some asinine vice lords version.

And if you have never done drugs…then you wouldn’t really know why people are doing it…other than what you can make up in your own mind or what you have heard from others.

And JFTR from my point of view, it’s you and others that are being the “ass” hence the strong reply.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Spidey wrote:Well then see, the problem lies in your ignorance…because most people take drugs to get a little euphoric pleasure, not to “escape reality”.

That’s some asinine vice lords version.

And if you have never done drugs…then you wouldn’t really know why people are doing it…other than what you can make up in your own mind or what you have heard from others.

And JFTR from my point of view, it’s you and others that are being the “ass” hence the strong reply.
and JFTR, you're being as judgmental of the "others" you are accusing.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

It wasn't a \"strong reply\", you were being an a******. Being an a****** is all about purpose of action, not overall thought.

No, I've never done drugs. What's wrong with drawing on what I hear from other people? Not to mention my interaction with these people, and assessment of their character. However I do understand the non-chemical addiction to such things, and while \"escape from reality\" may be a little imprecise it is still descriptive of their desire for \"euphoric pleasure\" when there is no pleasure or enjoyment in a day-to-day routine that will satisfy. Sometimes life/reality is no fun for any number of reasons. Shallow substitutes for happiness treat the symptoms while leaving the problem(s) unattended to, and to do so evidences a weakness of character.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Like playing video games.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Video games can be used in a similar way. There was a time when I was a prime example.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Tunnelcat wrote:I guess for nausea, which I sometimes get with migraines, pills would be perfect. As for pain, they all talk about smoking it for relief. I'm also not sure what it would do for the transitory pain of migraine. It sounds like it's being mostly used to relieve chronic nerve pain mostly.
When smoking, onset is faster, which can be a virtue in itself, and it can also make dosing easier. But I don't know of any reason why ingesting would ultimately be less effective than smoking for migraine relief. Granted, it could be, but I'd be careful to hear it from a reputable source. And less effective can still be better than nothing.
ST wrote:living with less than your potential
I have to object to this too. I can't see smoking marijuana as any less productive than, say, watching TV, especially since you can do both at once. ;) If someone wants to smoke marijuana in their free time, how does that hurt their potential?
ST wrote:escape from reality
I don't think that this or your more recent attempt to frame marijuana use as substituting for some deficiency in one's life accurately describes why most people smoke marijuana. If someone drank beer with their friends on a Friday night, I don't think you'd be trying to frame the debate this way.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Blaze »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:It wasn't a "strong reply", you were being an a******. Being an a****** is all about purpose of action, not overall thought.

No, I've never done drugs. What's wrong with drawing on what I hear from other people? Not to mention my interaction with these people, and assessment of their character. However I do understand the non-chemical addiction to such things, and while "escape from reality" may be a little imprecise it is still descriptive of their desire for "euphoric pleasure" when there is no pleasure or enjoyment in a day-to-day routine that will satisfy. Sometimes life/reality is no fun for any number of reasons. Shallow substitutes for happiness treat the symptoms while leaving the problem(s) unattended to, and to do so evidences a weakness of character.
Like playing video games.
Confucius say: Compensation is no match for superior engineering. :P

But sometimes there are only shallow people around. In video games, you can blast their faces (and vertices) apart.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well Bee, you must be a super human, because I treat people that I look down on differently than those I respect, and I know other people who do as well.

Take a look in the mirror, and ask yourself that question…because it really doesn’t matter what I think, only to say I wouldn’t want to be under your care.

“Even from you” see that’s what I’m talking about. Yea even from a dirt bag like me.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Blaze »

I'm not human. I'm an ethereal fire being. Can't you tell by my avatar? :)
tunnelcat wrote:YEP!
The man (the cat?) speaks the truth! Listen to what he said. You're not going to get any more hints. :P

This is what happens when you smoke.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Jeff250 wrote:
Tunnelcat wrote:I guess for nausea, which I sometimes get with migraines, pills would be perfect. As for pain, they all talk about smoking it for relief. I'm also not sure what it would do for the transitory pain of migraine. It sounds like it's being mostly used to relieve chronic nerve pain mostly.
When smoking, onset is faster, which can be a virtue in itself, and it can also make dosing easier. But I don't know of any reason why ingesting would ultimately be less effective than smoking for migraine relief. Granted, it could be, but I'd be careful to hear it from a reputable source. And less effective can still be better than nothing.
http://marijuanavaporizer.com/
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:tc my mother also died of lung cancer…and I sure hope that was not a result of some doctor looking down on her. At least not any suffering at the end, because of some judgmental doctor.
My mother's case was no better. An overworked and uncaring radiologist actually saw a mass in my mother's lungs a full year before she was diagnosed, but because she was in for another type of surgery, he was "NOT LOOKING" for lung cancer, only gall bladder problems. He dismissed the "shadow" on her lung X-ray as a "ponytail", which she didn't have by the way. They NEVER even asked if she was a smoker. DUH! That dismissal was probably her death sentence, since the earlier you can find cancer, the better the survival rate.

My mother tried to sue the technician for malpractice, but lost because how can you 'prove' that you might have had a better chance for survival if the cancer had been found a year earlier. Even though all these doctors always say to get screened because early cancer detection is the best way to help with survival rates, not one bozo doctor could be found to testify to that 'fact'. They surrounded themselves with the wagons the minute something questioned their medical Godhood. What frosted me was that about half the jury members were smokers and would go outside the courthouse during their break to take a smoke. They seemed oblivious and uncaring to the very problem that's very likely bite them in the a$$ in the future.

EDIT: Spidey, your link is really red flagged by Web of Trust, so I didn't click on it. Anywho, wouldn't a vaporizer also stink up the house too?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

tunnelcat wrote:EDIT: Spidey, your link is really red flagged by Web of Trust, so I didn't click on it. Anywho, wouldn't a vaporizer also stink up the house too?
Welp, up to you what to do w/ the info provided.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Sergeant Thorne wrote: No, I've never done drugs. What's wrong with drawing on what I hear from other people? Not to mention my interaction with these people, and assessment of their character. However I do understand the non-chemical addiction to such things, and while "escape from reality" may be a little imprecise it is still descriptive of their desire for "euphoric pleasure" when there is no pleasure or enjoyment in a day-to-day routine that will satisfy. Sometimes life/reality is no fun for any number of reasons. Shallow substitutes for happiness treat the symptoms while leaving the problem(s) unattended to, and to do so evidences a weakness of character.

nicely put. Second time this thread.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

I thought I'd emphasize this once more in case people thought I was just being silly. Tunnelcat knows what he's talking about here. I don't know which of you smokes but whoever does, all I can say is \"take a subtle hint.\"

Confucius say: Man who learn easy lesson does not suffer hard consequences.... or something like that ^_~
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Blaze wrote:I thought I'd emphasize this once more in case people thought I was just being silly. Tunnelcat knows what he's talking about here. I don't know which of you smokes but whoever does, all I can say is "take a subtle hint."

Confucius say: Man who learn easy lesson does not suffer hard consequences.... or something like that ^_~
is this anything like "you need perspective"?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno must smoke. I smell rationalizations.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ya know, I was thinking, we're all using the new modern drug habit right now, the internets. The new pleasure fix for bored brains. How many of you could quit surfing, posting and downloading, cold turkey, without some form of withdrawal? :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Not me.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I had no trouble for the couple weeks I was in Costa Rica without internet, nor the trip to Egypt before that. Granted I was on vacation both times so getting away from the internet was part of the point... :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hell, I go through withdrawal after a few days away from the Internets. :P
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

It would be missed, but provided one has other things to entertain them, it wouldn't be so bad.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Blaze »

Ferno wrote:
Blaze wrote:I thought I'd emphasize this once more in case people thought I was just being silly. Tunnelcat knows what he's talking about here. I don't know which of you smokes but whoever does, all I can say is "take a subtle hint."

is this anything like "you need perspective"?
No, it's something like this:
[04:29:13] <Fernii> you're our little grgburger. who bites off more than he can jew
-.- Let's be honest. You wouldn't prefer listening to tunnelcat over me because of "perspective."