Freespace 3?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Freespace 3?

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: Freespace 3?

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

"My theory is this: The reason why we all think [the genre] died is because this was a time when Quake was out and it was very much about the mouse and keyboard. Before that, when we did Descent for example, it was perfectly common for people to have joysticks – we sold a lot of copies of Descent. It was around that time that the more modern FPS with mouse and keyboard came out, as opposed to just keyboard like Wolfenstein or something.

"So people just stopped getting joysticks. They were just gone. And then you still had console, but it was all digital - so my theory has been, ever since we’ve got analogue as a standard controller for consoles no one has done a heavy-duty, top, top quality space sim on console."
He says that the Joystick died, but have they forgotten that consoles are the big thing now and they have gaming pads - which is pretty much the same thing as a joystick - apart from the hat switch.

If they are worried about it selling in today's gaming genre? Maybe they should target consoles and then port it to PC.
Surely it would sell pretty good on a console?
Prepare for DESCENT!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That's a pretty amusing article. It would be great if they could one day convince THQ to let them at it - I don't think the sales on GOG.com have been any slouch.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

Freespace3 hah why not at least it will also give me new games to collect for the Freespace part of my collection too :mrgreen:

But yeah imo on how Freespace2 ended it was more like an open space for more battles, even that the Shivan capship was destroyed , more dangers must of remained within the gaalxies ahead, like some sort of after math , I think that a Freespace3 is a very good idea, all we have to hope that it won't be a bad console port which is really effecting the PC gaming market badly these days, it's more about the graphics and sound than the gameplay & AI and this is where most new-gen games fail hard at. Gameplay should always be the numero uno for any type of PC game imo.

PC gamers want a real PC game and not some lousy crappy console port with a reduced AI :roll:

Graphics have to be good, so does sound, but like use Descenters know most, it's all about the gameplay that brings any type of game to life, let do hope that Tri-Chording will be added also, this worked in Freespace 1 & 2 btw, like it did with Descent :)
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Gold Leader wrote:Image
Damn crazy... I'm curious, how are those strategy guide books? I'd like to buy them on Amazon.com unless they are helpful enough.
MD1985
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

Them books are very well described actually, however the Freespace2 book is from a different write it is still the original Strategy Guide for Freespace2, the books from Bradey Games were somewhat better described, but hey as a collector I only seek the original items and book 2 was very hard to obtain, been looking for book2 for like 4 years, but patience did pay off :)

Really, I can help you find these books on ebay, if I ever come accross one, I am willing to send you a PM :)
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

I'd buy Freespace 3 if it was as good as Freespace 2.

However it would be amazing if the Volition Team was allowed to create Freespace 3. THQ would probably kill it before it could be started!

:)
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Gold Leader wrote:Them books are very well described actually, however the Freespace2 book is from a different write it is still the original Strategy Guide for Freespace2, the books from Bradey Games were somewhat better described, but hey as a collector I only seek the original items and book 2 was very hard to obtain, been looking for book2 for like 4 years, but patience did pay off :)

Really, I can help you find these books on ebay, if I ever come accross one, I am willing to send you a PM :)
Thank you! But I don't use eBay anymore, I prefer Amazon.com. So, I found two books of FreeSpace in Amazon.
MD1985