XMP

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

XMP

Post by AceCombat »

okay so i know how XMP on RAM works.... question is:

i have 2 XMS3 Corsair modules and 2 Patriot Sector 5 modules....

every time i enable XMP Profiles the board will lockup during boot.

Both the Corsair and Patriot have XMP capability.....

is it because of the mismatched speeds that the board locks up?

i have a quad set of matched sticks Corsair 1600 DDR3 on the way and ill sell the other two 1333's and the patriot as well.

i have 4GB of Corsair and 4GB of Patriot, and ill list them shortly after i get the corsair set
Attachments
RAM.jpg
RAM.jpg (247.34 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: XMP

Post by Krom »

Its probably because the two XMP settings aren't the same or it could be just because its mixing different memory brands causing some odd compatibility glitch. It might work if you try manually setting everything to the slowest settings listed in the XMP profiles of both types (9-9-9-24-41-2T @ 666 MHz / 1.65v).
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

yeah thats what i figured i just wanted to be sure.....

anyone interested in 8GB of DDR3? 4x 2GB Modules

x2 Corsair "XMS3" 2GB

and

x2 Patriot "Sector 5" 2GB
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Under the bios settings you can read what each of their respective XMP settings at by memory bank, if they are the same for each brand of ram timing/voltage then their physical location is your only setback(staggered banks) edit* just looked at your cpuid pic... Patriot XMP is lacking 667 vs corsairs 800

In reality 4/2gb sticks is your real issue, get 2/4g or 2/8gb sticks and avoid the headache before RAM prices start their upward price trend

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

thats what im getting.... 4x 2GB Corsair XMS3 1600
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Is there some reason you couldn't get 2x 4GB sticks?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i have 4 slots and i want them to match..... the quad channel kit came out to be cheaper than the x2 dual channel kits

would 2x 4GB work better? i know u have said that less sticks = ?? ( cant remember ATM)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

AceCombat wrote:would 2x 4GB work better? i know u have said that less sticks = ?? ( cant remember ATM)
short answer - YES

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

DRAM is basically an array of capacitors. The more sticks you use, the more capacitance they have, the more power (and time) it requires to charge them. So filling all banks when half would do the job hurts power use, performance and compatibility.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

well i got the sticks today..... XMP still will not boot, now im thinking it may be the board..... ohwell XMP is just a bonus this system runs fast enough for me till i see something new