How I Learned To Stop Worrying...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Iranian Nuclear Weapon Development

Iran should be prevented from developing nukes
78%
Iran should be allowed to develop nukes
9%
Don't Care
13%

Total votes: 23
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

How I Learned To Stop Worrying...

Post by bash »

After years of denial, Iran is pretty much making it semi-official that it should be allowed in the growing nuclear club. Whereas it's not stated specifically (so as not to be confrontational until it has something to blow up) I think we can all assume nuclear weapons are part of its program. Its claims to scientific research and energy ring hollow considering how oil-wealthy a nation it is.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/ ... index.html
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

As long as they submitt to U.N. regs why not. Oil is going to run out. It is predicted a 200 year supply remains, and that is under hot dispute. Part of the reason the Arabs are pissed at the U.S. is that we hold them back from developing a better life. I tend to agree on this point. The world has become dependent on electricty and we need a clean and powerful source quick or mankind will regress, and we need it globally.

NIX the above - they want armageddon - blow them to h@##
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Last I heard some top al Queda honchos are living in Iran. I say Iran needs a change of leadership.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

The big danger with Iran is it has made no secret of it's desire to turn Israel into a parking lot. Israel is small enough that a first strike could be the only strike, unlike the US where we'd be able to get off our own (ala MAD). I wouldn't be surprised to see another not-so-covert raid from Israel if it believes Iran is getting close. I think a new doctrine needs to be made in the Middle East, not of retaliation but of rebuilding, if Israel is ever attacked. Right now my guess is terrorist states/orgs are banking on the *wasn't me* defense if a nuke or two goes off in Israel, hoping we wouldn't know who to retaliate against. But if it was commonly known that we'd recover Israel and fight whoever tries to take any part of her, then maybe some of these states would abandon their dreams of nuclear weps in order to destroy Israel and begin to start negotiating a real peace and not just a postponement until they go nuclear.
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

"If a day comes when the world of Islam is duly equipped with the arms Israel has in its possession, the strategy of colonialism would face a stalemate because application of an atomic bomb would not leave anything in Israel but the same thing would just produce damages in the Muslim world."

- Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani

Translation: While the Muslim world might suffer millions of casualties in a nuclear war, it will survive and Israel will be destroyed.

This guy was president of Iran.

Currently, he is chairman of the powerful Expediency Council, as well as a deputy chairman of the Assembly of Experts. The Expediency Council arbitrates in disputes between the Majlis, Iran's parliament, and the Guardian Council, which can block legislation. The Assembly of Experts appoints the Supreme Leader, currently Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

---------------

Tuesday September 23, 2003

Iran yesterday defiantly showed off six of its new ballistic missiles daubed with anti-US and anti-Israel slogans in a move sure to reinforce international concern over the nature of its nuclear programme.

At the climax of a military parade marking the outbreak of the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war, the enormous Shehab-3 missiles were rolled out painted with the messages, "We will crush America under our feet' and "Israel must be wiped off the map." Link

--------------

Yep, these people need nukes right away.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I wish it could be as simple as it was with the USSR and MAD. If we could threaten that any nuclear action against Israel would be met with an immediate retaliation against and destruction of all of Islam. Unfortunately that will have no effect on the radical ones who are the real problem.

I'm trying real hard to believe that there might be a solution besides the total genocide of every last Islamic, but they sure arenâ??t making it easy.

I think that quote about what was on the missiles is a lot bold wouldnâ??t you say? Iran has about as much chance of crushing America as the pope does turning atheist.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

It would appear the only intelligent radical muslum country is Libya. I think Mr K finally realised that if the soviets couldn't destroy america then obviously he couldn't either.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Yea, but Mr. K is starting his crud again to with his mouth. Nothing has changed with him. We may need to seriously think about bombing Iran back to the stone ages just to keep from getting nuked ourselves.
There are about 5 million Muslims in the U.S. why don't they lobby the goverenment like everyone else to get changes and reform instead of declairing war and then blaming the people they attacked as being at fault. And what amazes me is that the world body see's this, knows this, and agrees with them. I just don't get it.