Trump wins SC

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Trump wins SC

Post by woodchip »

As I and slick have said, SC was going to be a test of Trumps popularity. He won all but one of the SC counties. So it looks like Trump will be the GOP nominee tho we still have Super Tuesday to go thru. Also will have to see where the voters go now that lower tier candidates like Bush will be dropping out. Interesting enough, Trump won more Evangelical votes than Cruz did.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Trump wins SC

Post by Nightshade »

woodchip wrote:As I and slick have said, SC was going to be a test of Trumps popularity. He won all but one of the SC counties. So it looks like Trump will be the GOP nominee tho we still have Super Tuesday to go thru. Also will have to see where the voters go now that lower tier candidates like Bush will be dropping out. Interesting enough, Trump won more Evangelical votes than Cruz did.
So we'll have Trump supporters like you to thank for getting Hillary elected...
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

woodchip wrote:Trump won more Evangelical votes than Cruz did.
"Maybe Trump is a reflection of the weak American pastors that preach prosperity over Truth."

via Matt Walsh:
Trump won South Carolina, a supposedly conservative Christian state, by a wide margin tonight.

A few quick reactions:

- Don't rationalize this. He didn't win because of Democrats. The man won Evangelicals. The man who -- JUST THIS WEEK -- praised Planned Parenthood, and who fishes for applause lines by cussing out his competitors and mocking disabled people, and who can't name a book in the Bible, and who said he doesn't need forgiveness from God, and who brags about sleeping with married women, and who said he'd love to date his own daughter because she has a hot body, and who supported the murder of fully developed infant children, and who blatantly lies and then lies again about lying, and who has encapsulated literally the exact opposite of anything that could remotely be considered a "Christian value," won with the indispensable assistance of Christians. The anger I feel towards those Christians in this moment cannot be put into words. They should be ashamed. I will pray for them.

- Speaking of winning conservatives, Trump -- JUST THIS WEEK -- said he likes the Obamacare mandate. This was, according to conservatives, the most important thing to defeat not but two years ago. Now some of those same conservatives are voting for a big government liberal who says he supports the very thing these very people were sure would undo the Republic just a few months ago.

- If Trump wins the nomination, conservatism in this country is officially dead, and the country itself will be close behind it.

- Speaking of the country's demise, Trump fans are gleefully ushering in tyranny. I am tired of hearing about their "anger." They claim they are angry at the very thing they now embrace. They aren't angry. They're bored. They're immature. They're infatuated with celebrity and fame and money. They aren't angry. I'm angry about what they are doing to my nation. The rest of us can be angry, but these people have lost the right to have their anger taken seriously.

- I don't want to hear about second place consolation prizes. If Cruz or Rubio can't win South Carolina, it may be time to panic. I'm sorry, but it's true. Deal with the reality, folks.

- According to exit polls, Trump fans don't necessarily think he's electable and they don't believe he shares their values, but "they want change." Dear God, we are really doing 2008 all over again. People voting for ambiguous, non-specific change in spite of the avalanche of red flags. We are really doing this again. I am so disgusted at the stupidity in this country.

- Bush should be commended for dropping out. He's an honorable and decent man, although I didn't support him. The others in the bottom tier, should they stay in, will be doing potentially irreparable harm to this country and my children's future. And that is something I will struggle to forgive.

- Get on your knees and pray for this country tonight. Right now. I feel we are on the cusp of something terrible. Pray we avoid it.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

- If Trump wins the nomination, conservatism in this country is officially dead, and the country itself will be close behind it.
First part is most likely true, and we'll all benefit from that. It's 2016, not 1779 or 1954. The second part isn't, this country was always a progressive one, constantly moving forward in technology and social contracts. Birth of the modern Republican party brought the backwards idealism into the fold. Funny enough, this is all Reagan's doing. Think about it, Eisenhower had massive tax rates in his presidency AND started the interstate system. Can you imagine any Republican publicly funding a 40 year project? No. Nixon started the EPA, I can't even imagine someone like Ted Cruz doing anything for the benefit of everyone (and that was friggin Nixon!). Reagan started the deficit spending, he lit the fire that burns to this day.

The most telling image of Republicans going backwards was Reagan taking the solar panels off the White House. There was no reason to do it, those panels were progress. And he stymied all of it. Now he has you all so cornered into having such a blinded view of progress that your party is going to suffer. It won't be this election, but within the next four or five election cycles, your party will have a similar fate of the Whigs. Complete dissolution. Can't come soon enough.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Noam Chomsky wrote:"It used to be said years ago that the United States is a one-party state -- the business party -- with two factions, Democrats and Republicans.That's no longer true. It's still a one-party state -- the business party -- but now it has only one faction. And it's not Democrats, it's moderate Republicans. The so-called New Democrats, who are the dominant force in the Democratic Party, are pretty much what used to be moderate Republicans a couple of decades ago. And the rest of the Republican Party has just drifted off the spectrum...."
...into the twilight zone. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

What the Dems have to worry about if SC is any indication, is the Republican turnout was 20% higher than 2012 while the Dem turnout in their 3 state primary was 33% less than 2008. So contrary to slicks assertion that the Dems will win with either Hillary or Bernie as the flag carrier, the numbers turning out in the primaries suggest otherwise.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Funny, during Obama's run in 2008 I could of linked just as many scare articles by conservative sources. Problem was there were certain peeps here that would call me and others racists if we even hinted at being critical of Obama. The way I look at it now, we have come full circle. The fear of the left and even some on the right, is because Trump says what is on his mind and is wealthy enough not to go hat in hand begging for money and then be beholden to those who bought...er donated to his campaign. So when it comes down to Hillary or Trump and you feel like pulling the lever for Hillary, just remember everyone she is beholden to, not only by direct donation but all the money given to the Clinton Crime Family Foundation. Don't believe just look up Loral and Clinton:

https://partners.nytimes.com/library/po ... onate.html

http://alamo-girl.com/0041.htm
1. Judicial Watch and Judicial Watch alone uncovered the entire Chinagate scandal in 1995, starting with a Freedom of information Act request to the Commerce Department. Chinagate is the most serious scandal in U.S. history. It involves the transfer of America�s most sensitive technology, including but not limited to nuclear missile and satellite technology, apparently in exchange for millions of dollars in contributions to the 1996 Clinton-Gore re-election effort and the Democratic National Committee.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/archive/2001/966.shtml

And it continues with Hillary:
One donor - Rilin Enterprises- pledged $2 million in 2013 to the Clinton Foundation's endowment. The company is a privately-held Chinese construction and trade conglomerate and run by billionaire Wang Wenliang, who is also a delegate to the Chinese parliament.
So you may not like Trump but at least he won't sell us out to the Chinese like Hillary will.

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

woodchip wrote:So you may not like Trump but at least he won't sell us out to the Chinese like Hillary will.
You can't trust a single DAMN thing that Trump says Woody. I just wish people realized that. Trump is in it for Trump. You can see it a zillion miles away if your eyes would just open.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

woodchip wrote:during Obama's run in 2008 I could of linked just as many scare articles by conservative sources
and now the scare articles about Trump are also coming from conservative sources, and you don't believe them?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Nightshade wrote:
woodchip wrote:So you may not like Trump but at least he won't sell us out to the Chinese like Hillary will.
You can't trust a single DAMN thing that Trump says Woody. I just wish people realized that. Trump is in it for Trump. You can see it a zillion miles away if your eyes would just open.
Every politician is in it for themselves. Rubio is for Rubio, Hillary is for Hillary etc etc. Any of them not in it for themselves?

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Lothar wrote:
woodchip wrote:during Obama's run in 2008 I could of linked just as many scare articles by conservative sources
and now the scare articles about Trump are also coming from conservative sources, and you don't believe them?
There are plenty of conservative voices that are for Trump...Laura Ingraham, Hannity, Mark Levin et al. I do believe the voters are tired of politicians who say they are conservative and then go and do otherwise. One only needs look at the senate and house to see why the people are fed up. I predicted years age somebody like Trump was going to come along to counter both the liberal left and the ineffectual Republican leadership. Now that he has and is winning, I'm amused at the crocodile tears and gnashing of teeth

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:Now that he has and is winning, I'm amused at the crocodile tears and gnashing of teeth
Except he's not winning. He's not winning the hearts and minds of the American people, only a subset comprised mostly of angry/scared white folks. He's also not wining the confidence and respect of our allies. He might be winning at television ratings, but so was Honey Boo-Boo and Jersey Shore.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What's scary is that he IS winning and for the sake of our country and our democracy, he needs to LOSE. I don't agree with the author's method for stopping him, but I agree with her premise that Trump is a dangerous demagogue who's winning only because our country is divided and fighting itself and that if he were to be elected president, we'll end up in the same situation as prewar Germany. :twisted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

vision wrote:
woodchip wrote:Now that he has and is winning, I'm amused at the crocodile tears and gnashing of teeth
Except he's not winning. He's not winning the hearts and minds of the American people, only a subset comprised mostly of angry/scared white folks. He's also not wining the confidence and respect of our allies. He might be winning at television ratings, but so was Honey Boo-Boo and Jersey Shore.
well put. I love the definition of 'winning' and it reminds me of Charlie Sheen's definition of same.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Except in this case he's not really biwinning. It's closer to irony in the works.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Oh, so someone else is winning the GOP nomination process. How silly of me not to see that. So tell me....who is the winner to date? Jeb Bush?

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:How silly of me not to see that. So tell me....who is the winner to date?
It's who we've been saying all along. The current winner is "Not-Trump." His popularity has peaked at approximately 35% of the GOP. As candidates start dropping out their endorsements and votes aren't going to Trump. They are going to Not-Trump. This fact is only a surprise to Trump supporters but not Democrats or Republicans, strangely.

The only thing interesting about the Trump candidacy is how he and his supporters will react when he is eventually eliminated. Will they bow out gracefully? Will there be conspiracy theories? Only time will tell.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

vision wrote:The only thing interesting about the Trump candidacy is how he and his supporters will react when he is eventually eliminated. Will they bow out gracefully? Will there be conspiracy theories? Only time will tell.
I'd guess that we'd see the latter, and a lot of butthurt.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

vision wrote:
woodchip wrote:How silly of me not to see that. So tell me....who is the winner to date?
It's who we've been saying all along. The current winner is "Not-Trump." His popularity has peaked at approximately 35% of the GOP. As candidates start dropping out their endorsements and votes aren't going to Trump. They are going to Not-Trump. This fact is only a surprise to Trump supporters but not Democrats or Republicans, strangely.

The only thing interesting about the Trump candidacy is how he and his supporters will react when he is eventually eliminated. Will they bow out gracefully? Will there be conspiracy theories? Only time will tell.
And yet Trumps lead grows as Bush leads the race. In a head to head with Hillary?
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely U.S. Voters finds that Trump leads when it comes to the economy, job creation and immigration. Clinton has held her lead on social issues but has widened her advantage on the environment.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... big_issues

So keep deluding yourself that Trump will lose in the end. Next big test is super Tuesday.

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:Next big test is super Tuesday.
This is actually the make or break moment for the GOP. If enough candidates drop out then Trump won't win the nomination outright and it will go to a brokered convention where he won't do so well. If Trump sweeps through super Tuesday then the GOP have basically handed the general election to the Democrats due to their inability to find party cohesion. Cruz and Rubio both poll higher than Clinton in the general election while Trump polls lower overall.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote: I do believe the voters are tired of politicians who say they are conservative and then go and do otherwise
...that is exactly what Trump is doing. How can you possibly be this deluded?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

According to crowdpac.. numbers are in percentages

Clinton: 47.6
Sanders: 42
Trump: 34.2
Cruz: 20.6
Rubio: 16

If Trump gets knocked out or drops, the numbers between Cruz and Rubio might rise higher. Bush and Carson might drop soon, if their numbers hold or drop. But the way Kasich's numbers came up recently might mean he'll stick around.

RealClearPolitics show similar numbers -- they also show that clinton dropped a hair and sanders shot up by quite a good margin.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Ferno wrote:Bush and Carson might drop soon, if their numbers hold or drop.
Bush dropped out the night of the South Carolina primary (I wouldn't expect a Canadian to catch every detail). It is a mystery why Carson is in the race at all. He hasn't polled well for months.

Now that Bush is out, many of my Republican friends are hoping for something that feels like Kasich/Rubio. I seem to be the only one who doesn't mind Cruz. I mean, I don't agree with most of what he says but I think he's more "presidential" than the rest, or at least as presidential as Kasich. It's going to be a real slug-fest. over the next several weeks.

I smell a brokered convention.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

vision wrote:many of my Republican friends are hoping for something that feels like Kasich/Rubio. I seem to be the only one who doesn't mind Cruz
I don't mind Cruz. But I think Kasich/Rubio is a stronger pairing. A bit more moderate, a bit more likeable, a bit more positive of an approach to conservatism.

I think the Not-Trump candidates will overtake him with Bush out of the race, particularly if nice-guy Carson drops soon (ain't nobody going from Carson to Trump) and then one of them will solidify some momentum and the others will drop out and endorse. Which I think means we don't need a brokered convention, right? A candidate can pledge his delegates to another without going through the whole "brokered" process? It's been a while since it's been relevant so I'm not totally up on the details.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And Trump wins Nev. across more demographics than any of the others. As of now Trump has more delegates than Romney or McCain did when they ran. Trump will be the next Rep. candidate no matter how you flip your tarot cards.