So we're going to submit a game to the IGF Student Show Case

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

So we're going to submit a game to the IGF Student Show Case

Post by Topher »

But it turns out it'll suck unless we get some kind of media to go with it. :)

If anyone is just itching to get some of their skills shown or are looking for some kind of resume builder, here are some of things I'm looking for. However, the only way I can use any work you've done or will do before November 14th is if:

It was developed by you and you own the copyright.
You are currently a student in either high school or undergraduate college (and won't graduate this year).
You didn't receive professional help.
(Full Rules)

With that said, here are some of the areas of interest. If you are interested in participating, shoot me and email. I have a relative idea of what the game should turn out to look like and we can talk about the details.

The game is a futuristic racing style game. Kind of a mix between Mario Kart and F-Zero. Cars are not limited to drive of up-facing surfaces only, you can go in tunnels and drive on the roof or go straight up, etc. Some screen shots of the track editor and are here.

The engine is partly written and part of it needs to be rewritten, but it will be done by the end of the summer. Most of the stuff I needed proof of concept for I have (like how to keep the cars on a track that has no concept of "up", octree, fast collision detection, making the tracks, etc).

Credits. According to the rules, we can't have ingame credits. So you're name, contact info will be included in the readme along with the game. After the competition, I plan on releasing a public version of the game that will have in game credits.

On to the good stuff:

Good with Terragen? My goal is to have at least 5 tracks in the game which means 5 sky cubes. Not all of the levels will be in an earthly kind of setting, some may be in space or in the clouds, but terragen is a good place to start for back ground work.

Good with textures? Textures will vary depending on the theme of the level. Some textures will need to have normal and/or height maps associated with them to work with bump mapping and parallax mapping.

Good with special effects? The game is going to need some decent looking explosions and I've found these are really hard to make when you don't know what you're doing. Other things include lens flare textures, smoke, anything that's bill boarded.

Good with photoshop? Need some icons/design for the HUD, powerup symbols and some good splash screens for the menu's.

Good with modelling? Things that need to be modelled:
cars - at least 4 types that are distingiushable
powerups - things like missiles, bombs, mines, that kind of stuff.
landscape geometry - while most everything can be generated with the track editor and a height field, some things like trees, rocks, light posts would be nice touches.

Good with sound effects? Sounds, I think, are going to be the hardest thing to get good samples of. Mainly because all media (including sounds) need to be created by students, so we can't use some big sound library's prebuilt sound in their raw form, we have to mix the sounds ourselves.

Got some hip music tracks? I figure racing music isn't too hard to do and maybe someone has some tracks already. I know there are some good mixes of game tracks at ocremixes, but I think staying away from remixing a professional track is a good idea.

Want to do something I didn't list? Even your momma doesn't love you? I'll find a use for you.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

sounds like fun.. it'll give me a chance to make some music.