D1: What does a "one shot" trigger do?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D1: What does a "one shot" trigger do?

Post by ShivanHunter »

I was assuming that it would make the trigger only activate once, but this doesn't seem to be the case (tested in a D1X-Rebirth 0.60 beta, the door/matcen/whatever keeps activating from the trigger more than once). It's listed in DLE under "Descent 1 types" - is it a D2X-XL thing that won't work in proper Descent/Rebirth?

[EDIT] Also tested in DOSBox, same thing happens (the door can keep opening). Do one-time-use triggers not exist in D1?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: D1: What does a "one shot" trigger do?

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm pretty sure it's a Descent 2 thing, I don't recall encountering any one time triggers in Descent 1 but Descent 2 definitely uses them (mostly for matcens).
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I was asked about this recently - it's a spare flag that was unused in D1, but is used by D2X-XL when running D1 levels.
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TSXMike »

I've used this feature before with D2 (and played in rebirth), and it worked fine. Maybe the type of wall it activates and/or the specific action the trigger elicits matters here.

Edit: just to give you the specific situation I've used it on... I would lock the player into an area. The one-shot trigger would close a wall or door to lock you in, and then a control panel in there would be what lets you out. So it had to be one-shot to prevent you from being permanently locked in upon re-entry. Just to give the background...

Edit#2: Oh, and I just noticed you said 6.0 beta. That may be the key here.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

He's also specifically referring to D1's option.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter