DLE selects things behind the camera

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

DLE selects things behind the camera

Post by ShivanHunter »

when you drag a selection box around some [vertices, cubes, whatever] in DLE, it selects anything in front of the camera inside the frustum created by the selection box - but also anything behind the camera, in another frustum inverted by exactly 180 degrees. I've fucked up 3 rooms already doing this and coupled with the primitive Stone-age autosave feature, this is getting frustrating as hell.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: DLE selects things behind the camera

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, that's a bug I've known about for quite a while. It's fixed in 1.12.30 but I'm still waiting for the link to go up on the page. In the meantime I have a copy on Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl532jlbbn0ah ... 30.7z?dl=0
I've been told it trips up Kaspersky and... one other AV program, ZoneAlarm I think? Although I thought that was a firewall. I don't yet have a new build of something that doesn't.
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ShivanHunter »

Thanks, that works!

Bit of a bug in the new version tho (and probably more lol but I just noticed this) - in the textures view, the white/teal borders indicating the primary/secondary texture of the current side don't get updated when you click on a different side. They do get updated when you press 's', or zoom in/out, or resize the screen or the texture view, since these all force a redraw - but selecting another side by clicking on it doesn't.

(I'd complain about the window flashing on every redraw as well but I know, I know, legacy code from the 90's. I get it lol)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I've also heard of/seen the window flashing for a while but haven't been able to reliably reproduce it once I started looking for it... go figure. The only theory I have that still seems plausible is that it has something to do with InvalidateRect and system-specific behavior - maybe it's particular versions of Windows, maybe it's building with VC10 versus later versions...? I'm not really sure.
I have another version of the .exe here with a couple of the background-clearing calls removed if you want to test it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vio7q2u70hbvhrk/DLE.exe?dl=0
Can't guarantee it does anything, but the texture list updating should be fixed at least.
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ShivanHunter »

Thanks!

That still has the flashing, but it's fine, I've gotten used to it. Could be a monitor refresh rate thing or a driver thing. It seems like there are certain actions like picking a new texture which refresh the entire screen, since they can update GUI stuff and not just the 3D view, and these cause the flash (like 1/2 - 1/3 of the time for me, randomly). But it's not a big issue tbh
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ShivanHunter »

Oooooookay :/

New bug in, it seems, both of the new EXEs you linked - after a while, rotating the camera with shift+ctrl no longer works. I'm not sure what triggers it exactly, but most of the times I noticed it were when I left the editor alone (to test a level or go do something else), so it seems to just stop working after some time.

What happens exactly is, after I've come back to the editor, holding shift+ctrl pans the camera around as if I were only holding ctrl. (shift keypress no longer registers?)

I dunno if you get this bug at all or if you can fix it, but I'm going to go back to my original version with the bad selection logic for now :/
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm... maybe there's a stuck key. I should probably have it recheck them outside of WM_KEYUP/KEYDOWN...