What is everyone's most annoying\hated bot in all of descent 1/2/custom missions?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

What is everyone's most annoying\hated bot in all of descent 1/2/custom missions?

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

My most annoying bot is the class 2 security bot from project hydro
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: What is everyone's most annoying\hated bot in all of descent 1/2/custom missions?

Post by Alter-Fox »

Oh oh oh...
The flash missile guy in Obsidian. Worse than MAX if that's even possible.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: What is everyone's most annoying\hated bot in all of descent 1/2/custom missions?

Post by kakhome1 »

Yeah, the IDR...but the C4HD is even more deadly if you can't snipe it safely.

And if the MAX in Vertigo is bad, try the one in Lost Levels WITHOUT custom weapons enabled. Now that would be the real contender for most dangerous non-boss ever!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeeeaaaah, but that one was so far beyond what is reasonable it doesn't really count.
Missions that so obviously looked upon the face of Cthulhu aren't really missions so much as creative ways to die. The deaths count as suicides since you chose to play the levels anyway.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Even with this most evil robot of all, there is no point you can't strategically handle one. Hard, yes - VERY HARD - and as unforgiving as they come - but it is not impossible at any point even on high difficulty. Know where they are, eliminate with utmost priority and caution levels.
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Its funny that with the weapon mods the max is easier for me
Then the wasp/canary is the most brutal
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

To me it depends more on robot placement and numbers than on the type, trust me, in Sirius Alpha Depot I played recently even class 1 drones (D1) are nightmare, not to say about laser firing Gophers, as well as in D1 level 9. And while Player Gauss or Mercury robots in EAF2 were the most damaging (and impossible to dodge if they see you), cannot call them most annoying as they were possible to destroy from the corner - missiles or corner sniping.
Alter-Fox wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 pm Yeeeaaaah, but that one was so far beyond what is reasonable it doesn't really count.
Missions that so obviously looked upon the face of Cthulhu aren't really missions so much as creative ways to die. The deaths count as suicides since you chose to play the levels anyway.
On MAX vs IDR, I honestly don't get why IDR took the top, it has 50% less HP than MAX (2 vs 3 guided missiles to kill) and fires 2 missiles instead of 3.
On Lost Levels robots, I played the whole mission on Insane without deaths and saves (no weapon mods), and would say, those MAX robots did not give me much trouble, WASP were the worst ones by far - especially given their high numbers. This one came from Lovecraftian nightmares :x definitely... As well as the Spikes in snipe mode.

In general I think the Thief Bot is the most annoying, especially if you are doing cold starts.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Obsidian Gauss bots with my weapons mod.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Isn't WASP in Lost Levels without mod just a Seeker that fires one extra Merc per volley?

IDR hatred...maybe because it is used more, but I don't know.

Some of the most extreme robots - like ones that fire Megas (C4HD/Warlord/LL MAX) - I've never seen done in snipe mode (except for one boss, but it didn't teleport).
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Maybe because the IDRs flash missiles blind you so much
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

They're just really hard to hit even when you can see them. And they use the normal homing flash missiles like the limefrost spiral boss uses, not the vertigo kind that MAX does, so I think maybe IDR blinds you for longer.
Sum0Beatz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sum0Beatz »

Thief bot is a little bastard on cold starts
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

There's a robot in Project Hydro starting on Level 10 that looks worse than an IDR or Vertigo MAX. Try cold starting that level on a high difficulty! Bet you won't get anywhere, at least not in one life.
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

kakhome1 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:37 pm There's a robot in Project Hydro starting on Level 10 that looks worse than an IDR or Vertigo MAX. Try cold starting that level on a high difficulty! Bet you won't get anywhere, at least not in one life.
Would agree, just recorded this level today on Insane, those things are absolutely hopeless at cold start, fly like crazy and shoot tons of homing flash and merc missiles, even on hot start it takes around 10 attempts to get past those 2 robots in the beginning, fortunately the remainder of the level is not as hard. And they even dodge homing or smart missiles most of the time if they can!
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

The next level gives you Gauss right away at least. Perhaps he just wanted to introduce the robot with a bang...Not being nice, that's for sure!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

What I remember of that one is that it surprises you the first few times you fight it but once you get over that it's not really going to give you a problem. One of those cases where if you were to go away from the game and load your save a month later you'd be ragequitting and questioning how you even got as far as you did, but if you keep going without stopping you deal with it easily. I certainly remember hydro having worse robots in the last few levels -- definitely need to give it a new soundtrack and another play one of these days.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Hydro's biggest weaknesses are the first few levels and the lack of a soundtrack. Though I can at least try and find music I like from other missions is better than the default music.

Perhaps the robot won't be a huge problem in the end, but boy is it introduced in a nasty way if you aren't carrying a Mega or Earthshaker.
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

kakhome1 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:37 pm There's a robot in Project Hydro starting on Level 10 that looks worse than an IDR or Vertigo MAX. Try cold starting that level on a high difficulty! Bet you won't get anywhere, at least not in one life.
Yep that is the bot I hate so much. Probably the best way to kill it is to stunlock it rather than dogfight it
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Unfortunately it is impossible to stunlock on Insane difficulty, it is too fast and mobile (only works rarely when it has it's back turned to you, but usually this is not the case). And it nearly always shoots first when it's facing you, also has too much HP to kill it quickly... Dodging it's flash missiles without an afterburner is very hard and most of the time I don't have it (because of the cold start). That makes it the worst robot in the mission, I've not seen the last unit yet (with a few more robots), but from the description they don't even look dangerous... The big brown bot with Omega and merc is also annoying but at least it has slower reactions and speed.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Sometimes if I can get close up I have better luck stunlocking with Vulcan than Gauss. Gauss pushes it around a lot. Similar story about Plasma versus Laser (Laser pushes it more).