DistributedCom error 10010

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

DistributedCom error 10010

Post by Tunnelcat »

Just a heads up, I don't know how many of you run Windows 7, but the most recent MS updates for Office started throwing a DistributedCom Error 10010 in the Event Log. Specifically, after searching the net and finding no solutions for what seems to be a permissions issue with this key, {F9717507-6651-4EDB-BFF7-AE615179BCCF} related to the WinInetBrokerServer (Account Unknown(S-1-15-2-1), I decided it must be one of these Office updates, either KB4022202, KB4022206 and KB4022208 that was the culprit. I can't tell which one since I uninstalled all of them in an effort to figure out what update was the culprit throwing the error. I know it was an MS update since it started up after they were installed a couple of days ago (I waited to patch, obviously not long enough). After removing all 3 of them, the computer finally stopped throwing the error. It would always throw it upon shutdown, not boot as well. Askywoody.com recommends NOT installing any of these either, along with the most recent .NET and Windows security fixes. Microsoft gave us all another epic fail in a recent series of epic update fails. I noticed that MS has re-pulled the .NET update, AGAIN, today after serving it up this morning. :roll:

https://www.askwoody.com/patch-list-master/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: DistributedCom error 10010

Post by Tunnelcat »

Never mind, it showed up again after a full system shutdown. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

10010 does seem to be a permissions issue that you may be able to eliminate with some finesse in regedit and dcomcnfg, or by reinstalling/repairing the offending application or component. Is this actually blocking the shutdown of the system and making it take too long, or is it just showing up in event viewer but otherwise not impacting the performance of the system?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No, whatever the application is, it's not affecting shutdown. It just keeps throwing the error silently. I've looked at that particular key in the registry, {F9717507-6651-4EDB-BFF7-AE615179BCCF} and what it's related to is something called WinInetBrokerServer associated with Account Unknown(S-1-15-2-1), whatever THAT is associated with. There are a lot of entries in the registry related to this key as well, all related to that particular Account Unknown(S-1-15-2-1). How can I figure out which application is having the permissions issue?

Also, when I searched online, a lot of people found that by deleting this key to solve the problem, the errors went away, but then they lost XP Mode. Others found that IE 11 was the culprit and they uninstalled that. I've made no changes to my system, so I'm baffled. In fact, the other 2 systems that I installed those particular Office Updates don't throw the error.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Did you try this: http://www.itprotoday.com/management-mo ... 005-errors
Basically if an application isn't registered properly just browsing to that location and clicking yes on the prompts that pop up will correct it. Otherwise you would need to go and take ownership of that registry key, then manually edit in the proper security credentials.

As for the account unknown part, did you ever have to delete/recreate your account at one point or another because something got corrupted in the profile? Account Unknown like that can be an indicator of the registry key/file originally being associated with an account from a different OS or an account that has been deleted from the system. Usually these being left over is irrelevant, but could cause an issue if there are no remaining valid/active accounts with the correct permissions set for it to run, in which case taking ownership and replacing the account unknown permissions with a valid account would probably fix it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've run Dcomcnfig.exe and as far as it knows, everything is fine and dandy. I've never created another account on this computer, nor have I ever had a guest account. In fact, I've never reinstalled Windows 7 either, so it's original, patched a million times and full code band-aides. I don't know why there is an Account Unknown(S-1-15-2-1) or why it would have happened. There are a lot of entries in the registry for this particular key {F9717507-6651-4EDB-BFF7-AE615179BCCF} even if I wanted to grant permissions the hard way via the registry. Not that I want to do it anyway since it's an unknown entity and probably widowed for some reason, all referencing WinInetBrokerServer. All I know is that the error started up around the same time as Windows Update did it's thing with Office. Is it possible that it could be some third party non-Microsoft piece of software causing the issue? The only thing I've recently done was uninstall Afterburner and install Precision XOC for GPU fan control.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I can confirm that WinInetBrokerServer is at least still present in Windows 10, so it hasn't been widowed yet. And this copy of windows 10 was clean installed, so it can't be leftovers from an upgrade. The registry entries for it that I have are owned by TrustedInstaller and have read permissions for Administrators, Users, and one Account Unknown with a rather lengthy SID (probably Network Service).

I do have afterburner installed though, so who knows. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, I think I found it and it was staring me right in the face. It appears there's a problem with Office 2010 ever since Windows Update, stupid MS. There are now 2 shortcuts to Office on my desktop. One is the original from when it was installed back in 2011 and it has all the required permissions properly checked from Full Control to Write. The other icon is definitely new and it has a new user/group name called INTERACTIVE. INTERACTIVE does not have full permissions as you can see in the picture below. You'll also notice that this icon is in the Public Desktop folder, not my User Desktop folder where my original icon resides. Since this appears to have been created during the update,will deleting the shortcut to solve the permissions problem, or will it be a more complicated fix?

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It gets even weirder. I decided to move that new Office icon into the recycle bin and shut down for the day to see if the error showed up the next time I booted. Now before I did this, I had first uninstalled Precision XOC, although there was a slight problem during the uninstall that claimed it couldn't remove the Skin Tool that comes with Precision. Hmmmm, I wonder why? Something to do with Office? After the uninstall, the Skin Tool icon disappeared anyway, so I thought it worked. Apparently not, because although I didn't notice it right away, that new Office icon now sat in the exact location of the Skin Tool icon. With this in mind, when I then moved that new Office icon into the recycle bin, the Skin Tool icon magically reappeared on the desktop in it's exact place. So now they're BOTH in the recycle bin for now and I'll see what happens. And I've also gone back to Afterburner. :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK Krom, all this mess was caused by Precision XOC. When I installed the program, it began that constant series of errors in DCOM. When I uninstalled it, a new error showed up when booting the system which referenced a service called WinRing0_1_2_0. Apparently Precision installs this service, but a regular uninstall procedure fails to remove it, so it throws an error upon boot. I had to go through the registry and delete all keys referencing this service to fix the problem. Next time, I'm going to use Revo Uninstaller in Advanced Mode to make sure all the leftover crapware is removed. I'm going back to Afterburner too. :wink:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Afterburner is vastly superior anyway (even though they both originate from rivatuner). ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It almost sounds like Precision XOC is doing some tweaks to Windows to "make stuff run faster". Which are not safe tweaks.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

When that service was widowed by the uninstall, it made the boot time longer too. I didn't even install the newest version of Precision XOC, 6.2.7, because a lot people were complaining about several nasty issues and that version 6.2.3 was stable. Apparently not. Most users who install Precision also use it to control the LED's on their Nvidia GPU's, something Afterburner doesn't do. However, it even fails with that function. :roll: