WiFi Router suggestions

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

WiFi Router suggestions

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm getting sick of my 2 year old Netgear WiFi Router dropping the 2.4 GHz radio. Sometimes it will randomly just turn off one or both radios. I don't even have it next to a USB 3 device and I turned down the speed on the 2.4 radio, which seemed to help. After a firmware update yesterday, I had a hell of time even getting the router to turn on the 2.4 GHZ radio. So my question is, anyone got a good recommendation for a new WiFi router? I don't need the range, just the reliability. Plus, this router was one of the ones impacted by the Russian VPN malware. I've kept the firmware up to date and reset to factory settings to keep it in check. It still doesn't give the warm and fuzzies. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: WiFi Router suggestions

Post by Krom »

I have an Asus RT-AC66U that is something like 5-6 years old running in access point mode and I haven't had to log in and change a setting on it for the last 2+ years. Its been so long I can't even remember when I set it up this way anymore.

As of this posting, its current up time is: "89 days 2 hours 48 minute(s) 59 seconds.".

It is an older model that they don't make anymore, but they have kept updating its family which I believe the current model is the RT-AC86U. The differences would mostly be newer bigger, faster CPU that probably uses less energy and updated wifi capabilities.

No need to go for anything with greater than 3 antennas unless you have some specific device and regular usage that would benefit from it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: WiFi Router suggestions

Post by Tunnelcat »

I was looking at ASUS's selection for my next unit. I'll take a look at the ASUS RT-AC86U at the moment. I wonder if I should wait for the newer models in 2019? Technology is always improving and it is nearly the end of the year.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.