Playing mp3's from usb stick

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Playing mp3's from usb stick

Post by woodchip »

so I want to download some free nature sounds that I can play at night. While I have a comp. in my bedroom and could run off that I don't want the lights or the sound of the fans from it. So I started looking for a stand alone unit that could do that along with being able to hook up some speakers ( I have a spare set of comp. speakers with woofer). So I first found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Watt-Audio-Stere ... 00LI4L1LO
Only problem is the first couple of reviews talked about how the unit smoked and/or burst into flames. Not comfortable with that.

So I looked around a bit more and found this ( I think it will play from usb sticks) but costs more money but at least doesn't appear to flame out:

https://www.amazon.com/CD-P650-B-Compac ... ds=teac+cd

Anyways let me know of better buys as some of you are way more expert in this area than I am.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Playing mp3's from usb stick

Post by Krom »

Buy a pair of 2.0 PC speakers and an actual MP3 player, it can probably be done for less than $30. You need only to plug the speakers into the wall, the MP3 player into a USB phone charger, and the speakers audio plug into the headphone jack on the MP3 player. You might even be able to use the PC speakers you already have.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well that certainly seems cheap enough to try. Didn't realize the speaker comp jack could be plugged into the headphone jack on the Mp3 player and plugging MP3 into the charger solves the power problem for extended over night play.
Thanks for input Krom.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I wanted to do the same thing with music on a USB stick, so I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-WR-22WL- ... gean+radio

It's the same price as the one you're looking at, it has a sleep timer so that it shuts off after a set amount of time and the sound quality is decent. I got the walnut version and surprise, that's real walnut around the sides and top, not plastic. The only thing I don't like is the power plug attachment at the back. It sticks out so you can't shove it against the wall and is easy to loosen because it can be disconnected for running the cord through small holes, like on a headboard. But at least it doesn't have a stupid power brick.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Thanks for input TC. I think I'm going with Kroms suggestion (unless he disabuses me of item):

https://www.amazon.com/Valoin-Bluetooth ... eature_div

Reviews are all positive and gives me greater functionality in case I want to use it for other things

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I was gonna say you could probably go for a cheaper player, but if you plan on using the other features that one looks pretty good.

Actually if you have a smartphone, you can just plug the PC speakers in to that and play the music off it overnight. Even just some old smartphone someone in your family isn't using anymore but still works could be repurposed into a mp3 player exactly the same way. Although it is worth noting that the majority of MP3 players sound better than smartphones because they have better/dedicated audio hardware. I have a really old MP3 player (like 15 years old now) and with a good set of headphones it sounds significantly better and has less noise/hiss than even a relatively new smartphone. Also dedicated MP3 players won't ever beep/ring notifications at you in the middle of the night about software updates, so I suppose that is another reason to stick with the actual MP3 player idea... :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Again, thanks for your help Krom and thanks TC for input.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Short update, found newer version of mps player I linked for 2.00 less. Why it is cheaper I have no idea:

https://www.amazon.com/Valoin-Bluetoot ... V2SYWRZSKW